daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #8761
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfreelancealot View Post
At least the US doesn't suffer from the phenomenon that is "elephant racing".
Oh no, that problem exists in the U.S. too.

Quote:
In the UK and rest of Europe, trucks are governed to a maximum speed of 56mph (90kph). In reality there will be trucks that will max out at speeds between 55 and 57 mph and this creates a frequent situation where trucks will try and pass each over with a speed differential of less than 1mph, but on roads where the speed limit for most vehicles is 70mph.
While trucks aren't governed over here, I've seen what you've described as "elephant racing" on 2x2 freeways in California on I-5, I-80, I-15, and CA-99. In California, the speed limit for auto traffic is 65-70 MPH while trucks have a 55 MPH limit and on 2x2 freeways, trucks are allowed to use the left lane only to pass slower moving vehicles. The problem is when one truck is going 60 and the one behind is going 61, invariably, the one going 61 pulls out into the left lane to pass and it might take a couple of miles before the faster truck completes the pass. In the meantime, auto traffic backs up behind the truck frustrating drivers.

Oh, and one other thing, I have seen this happen when the trucks are going up a hill... at 40-50 MPH! Argh!
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #8762
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

yes we do actually have a little bit of "elephant racing." It stems from the larger carrier companies (one I work for) that govern the vehicles, lately between 55, 57, 60, 63, 65 mph. Mine is governed at 60 with cruise, foot pedal goes to 63 but when the foot pedal is used past 60, quarterly bonus is eaten away at (though that doesn't stop me). My boss on these boards???
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #8763
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
govern the vehicles, lately between 55, 57, 60, 63, 65 mph.
I think this is one of the many reasons why there is a recruiting crisis in the North American OTR trucking industry. Who wants to be stuck only going 60 through the middle of fracking Nebraska on I-80, talk about pulling your hair out. IMHO

Last edited by brewerfan386; February 13th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #8764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

European truckers would kill for 60 mph. Most countries have a truck speed limit of 50 or 55 mph.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #8765
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
At least the US doesn't suffer from the phenomenon that is "elephant racing". In the UK and rest of Europe, trucks are governed to a maximum speed of 56mph (90kph). In reality there will be trucks that will max out at speeds between 55 and 57 mph and this creates a frequent situation where trucks will try and pass each over with a speed differential of less than 1mph, but on roads where the speed limit for most vehicles is 70mph. So as you can guess these situations can each lead to long lines of traffic platooning behind trucks taking miles to pass each other and this can cause congestion on routes, not because of high traffic levels but to "elephant racing" which are effectively 55mph rolling roadblocks. This happens on 2 lane dual carriageways (4 lane divided highways) as trucks are banned from using the 3rd lane on wider highways. There have even been times that the truck that has been passed will have to re-overtake the truck that took more then ten minutes to pass it because it has a heavy load and the next inclines has robbed it of mementum. So the frustration begins all over again. Quite often, because all traffic ends up queueing in the outside lane behind the passing truck, other trucks will undertake in the clear inside lane then barge in (their method usually involves indication, and crating a gap to force themselves into), so again more elephant racing and more frustration as others struggle to get past to a clear road ahead.
Sounds like I-65 between Indianapolis and Chicago, where one truck will take 5 to 10 minutes just to pass another one, two, or several... meanwhile all the passenger cars stay in the left lane behind the passing truck going 65 mph waiting for the opportunity to go 70+. A lot of trucking companies in the Northern US seem to like setting speed limits on their trucks. This doesn't seem to be very common here in the South where trucks regularly go as fast as other vehicles.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8766
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
European truckers would kill for 60 mph. Most countries have a truck speed limit of 50 or 55 mph.
And even in the UK, where it is 60mph on motorways, they can only do 90km/h (56mph) due to the EU-mandated limiters.

And because some people have them set slightly lower, plus mandated breaks (you don't want to get 1 mile away from your destination, have to take a 45 minute break, then do the couple of minute's extra driving before waiting 45 minutes while they unload/load/both), doing 1mph differential overtakes are commonplace. And due to being physically limited, you can't accelerate past the other truck, unlike the US situation.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #8767
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
And even in the UK, where it is 60mph on motorways, they can only do 90km/h (56mph) due to the EU-mandated limiters.

And because some people have them set slightly lower, plus mandated breaks (you don't want to get 1 mile away from your destination, have to take a 45 minute break, then do the couple of minute's extra driving before waiting 45 minutes while they unload/load/both), doing 1mph differential overtakes are commonplace. And due to being physically limited, you can't accelerate past the other truck, unlike the US situation.
Tell that to the Irish, they seem to be flying passed everybody.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #8770
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

New I-244 Arkansas River bridge

image hosted on flickr

new Interstate 244 Arkansas River Multi-Modal Bridge by ezeiza, on Flickr

Quote:
New Interstate 244 Arkansas River Multi-Modal Bridge

Tulsa, OK. This new Arkansas River bridge in Tulsa on Interstate 244 opened in December 2012. Not visible from here, the new bridge is a double decker. Lower deck was designed to carry rail traffic and also has a pedestrian/bicycle bridge.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8771
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-24, Tennessee

Some photos by TDOT:

I-24 in Nashville
image hosted on flickr

I-24 / SR-840 interchange.
image hosted on flickr

I-24 across Nickajack Lake
image hosted on flickr

I-24 in Chattanooga.
image hosted on flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

brewerfan386 liked this post
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:05 PM   #8772
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

The last two pics are awesome spots, one of the best sections of interstates in the eastern US.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8773
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
The last two pics are awesome spots, one of the best sections of interstates in the eastern US.
I drove there last year and didn't find it particularly spectacular. There are much more scenic stretches all over the US.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #8774
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Express Lanes, Virginia

Aerial photos of the I-95 Express Lanes construction in northern Virginia. Photos by VDOT.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_4249 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_4208 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_4163 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_4309 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_4136 by VaDOT, on Flickr
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:58 AM   #8775
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Corridor X (I-22) still on target for completion in late 2014.

From AL.com

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Construction of the final segment of Corridor X remains on schedule for completion in late 2014, according to Alabama Department of Transportation officials.

Overpasses continue to take shape as crews with Archer Western Contractors inch toward fusing the new highway with Interstate 65 between Birmingham and Fultondale.

The price tag for the 1.5-mile project stands at more than $168.8 million, ALDOT spokeswoman Linda Crockett said.

A network of 14 ramps and 14 bridges will carry traffic between the two routes.

The junction will be similar in style to the Interstate 65/Interstate 459 interchange in Hoover.

When complete, Corridor X will be renamed Interstate 22 and will link Birmingham with Memphis, Tenn.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:49 AM   #8776
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

So I take it they are finally extending the HOV Lanes on I-95 in Virginia to Fredericksburg in addition to converting them to HOT Lanes?

Considering the traffic levels on that stretch that was long overdue.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #8777
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10 San Bernardino Freeway, Los Angeles, CA

The express lanes along I-10 between I-605 and Downtown Los Angeles opened to traffic today. The former El Monte Busway has been widened to 4 lanes and is now a HOT facility, the second in Los Angeles after the Harbor Transitway was converted to a 4-lane HOT facility in late 2012.
Old February 24th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8778
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I drove there last year and didn't find it particularly spectacular. There are much more scenic stretches all over the US.
Well again its nothing like the mountains out west or jak w gorach w polsce. But I think its one of the nicest areas on the east coast as far as interstates going through the mountains. Of course the nicer areas are off the interstate like these pictures of Raccoon mountains for example which is a few miles off I-24.

Also right off I-24. I like how when driving into Chattanooga you dip into a valley.

I've been to Chattanooga many times, I think it has very nice natural scenery. I also have never been out west lol. Seasons also make a difference, when its green or fall colors it looks the best obviously. For more scenic stretches you need to go to the Smoky mountains area using the 2 lane country roads, if you haven't already been anyways.
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #8779
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I've been to Chattanooga many times, I think it has very nice natural scenery. I also have never been out west lol. Seasons also make a difference, when its green or fall colors it looks the best obviously. For more scenic stretches you need to go to the Smoky mountains area using the 2 lane country roads, if you haven't already been anyways.
I went to Chattanooga last year. Drove up the Signal Mountain and view from there is indeed spectacular.
When I said that I-24 wasn't the most spectacular I was rather referring to the picture you posted initially, the stretch along the river in Chattanooga. It is a bit messy and not as much fun as some other bits of it.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #8780
I-275westcoastfl

Oh ok I get what you are saying. Yes Signal mountain and lookout mountains I'd say are both pretty decent. I-24 is a pretty nice drive (for an interstate) north of Chattanooga going towards Nasheville.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban