daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

TEXpress lanes

TXDOT added a funky new name to the already existing lineup of toll lanes, it's the TEXpress lane!

There are currently;

* HOV lanes
* HOT lanes
* express lanes
* managed lanes
* TEXpress lanes

Express and HOV lanes are free for carpools at all times. TEXpress lanes are not free, carpoolers have a 50% discount during peak travel and have to pay the posted toll at all other times. Transit vehicles (such as buses) are exempted from paying tolls at either system.

Here's the DFW system:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8782
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of interstate being marked

The US 311 freeway in Forsythe County, NC, running between I-40 at Winston-Salem, NC and the Guilford County line near interchange 65 on the northwest side of the High Point, NC area, about 15 km, is now being marked as I-74. The High Point, NC bypass freeway was marked as I-74 a couple of years ago.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...Ss41I.facebook

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8783
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17483

Good news
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8784
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
TXDOT added a funky new name to the already existing lineup of toll lanes, it's the TEXpress lane!

There are currently;

* HOV lanes
* HOT lanes
* express lanes
* managed lanes
* TEXpress lanes

Express and HOV lanes are free for carpools at all times. TEXpress lanes are not free, carpoolers have a 50% discount during peak travel and have to pay the posted toll at all other times. Transit vehicles (such as buses) are exempted from paying tolls at either system.

Here's the DFW system:
I'm a big fan of expressways. But Texas' transportation policy to just keep building them (with wacky new features like the above), just seems like a failure.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #8785
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Eisenhower Tunnel, Colorado

The Eisenhower Tunnel in I-70 west of Denver turns 40 years today.

On March 8th, 1973, the first tube of the Eisenhower Tunnel opened to traffic. It is the highest tunnel in the United States, in addition to being the highest freeway in the country. The second tube opened in 1979.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 8th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #8786
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

It is located at 11158 feet above sea level. That is 3401 meters , just three meters short from the highest point in my region.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #8787
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

Hey Guys. I hope you don't mind if I ask for some help in this thread.

I will be driving from Miami (Downtown) to New York (Manhattan) on Fri, 15th, and I'm wondering which route to take and what timing would be the best. Here are some facts:

- I'm driving with a co-pilot,
- Our rental is Dodge Durango,
- The rental apparently works with auto-tolls, but only in FL,
- I don't mind other tolls, as long as I can pay card or cash,
- My check-in in NY is on 16th 3PM, so no rush,
- The longest ride we had so far was Marbella - Krakow.

So I was thinking maybe to leave early like, 2-3 AM, so we can escape Florida before the traffic kicks in? Also, I was thinking of getting a Go Pro cam to timelapse the whole thing. Any suggestions where to get it in Miami? And an iPad holder for Waze?

And most importantly - which route to take?

Thank you very much in advance!
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #8788
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw View Post

I will be driving from Miami (Downtown) to New York (Manhattan) on Fri, 15th, and I'm wondering which route to take and what timing would be the best. Here are some facts:

So I was thinking maybe to leave early like, 2-3 AM, so we can escape Florida before the traffic kicks in? Also, I was thinking of getting a Go Pro cam to timelapse the whole thing. Any suggestions where to get it in Miami? And an iPad holder for Waze?

Take I-95 all the way. It will take you from downtown Miami all the way to Manhattan via George Washington Bridge.
You can also enter Manhattan via I-78 (Holland Tunnel)
Google calculated the distance as over 2000km. You will also have to cross few substantial metropolitan areas: Jacksonville, Richmond, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia which might slow you down.
It will be quite a journey to do just in one day.
Will your co-pilot drive as well?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #8789
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

I've done this drive enough starting in my city though, but I have some advice for you. It likely will take you about 5 hours to leave Florida, you will likely be out around 7-8am. Jacksonville has a pretty good road network so I highly doubt you will see rush hour traffic there. Unfortunately you will not be early enough to avoid the speed traps Georgia has leaving Florida so watch your speed, very smart using waze, its fairly accurate.

Once you are in South Carolina/North Carolina its usually not as bad, I usually do about 10mph over. However once you get into Virginia they are notorious for catching speeders along I-95, I would only go 5mph faster than the speed limit and even worse you will get stuck in traffic in DC, its usually very bad. However up until this point your drive would have been not very scenic and boring (From Florida to Virginia) but now you will at least start seeing some of the northern cities. Once you are near Baltimore, Maryland watch out when driving through construction zones, they have white vans/SUV's that are on the side of the road with speed cameras in them. Also keep in mind around this time if you have been continuously driving you will be in rush hour traffic. Just to give you an idea how bad it can be I've been stuck in traffic from New Jersey to Baltimore on a Sunday during the day, be prepared.

Depending on how traffic was for you then you will arrive in Philadelphia after 17-20 hours of driving sometime between 7-10pm. Hopefully traffic will be light and you can drive by the city at night and then go to the New Jersey Turnpike. From here it should be a smooth drive especially considering it will be night time by this point. Once you near Jersey City it is possible you may hit traffic even at night but probably not, its $8.50 to cross into Manhattan via tunnel and you should be there. The fastest you will get there is maybe 19 hours but depending on traffic it could take as long as 24 hours. It is very doable in one day, I've done it about 5 times I think.

Lastly you could also take the "inland route" as I call it, I've taken it both going north and returning south and prefer it over I-95. There is less traffic, fuel is cheaper, you have small mountains starting in North Carolina so at least it will be scenic, much less police, etc. It is about 20 hours of driving for you but it is very unlikely you will hit traffic most of the way. Just a suggestion from somebody who prefers this route to I-95.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...sz=6&via=1&z=6
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #8790
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

ah yes I-77 to I-81, it bypasses ALL of the major cities after Florida except Charlotte. When approaching Charlotte take I-485 west if you are approaching on rush hour. If you take I-95, bypass Richmond on I-295. FYI this I-77 to I-81 route gets busy as well as I-95.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8791
tompaw

Thank you very much for your advices, gentlemen.

Yes, my co-pilot drives as well and we've done plenty of road trips in europe together (I actually ended up marrying her :P). The car is big and comfy, so there's always an option for an emergency nap.

As I said, we have plenty of time, so maybe we decide to actually sleep for a few hours. If we leave Miami 5am'ish, we have 34 hours before our check in. Do you have any places to recommend along the way as far as food/shop/view is concerned?

Still hunting for a decent ipad mount...
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #8792
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Thank you very much for your advices, gentlemen.

Yes, my co-pilot drives as well and we've done plenty of road trips in europe together (I actually ended up marrying her :P). The car is big and comfy, so there's always an option for an emergency nap.

As I said, we have plenty of time, so maybe we decide to actually sleep for a few hours. If we leave Miami 5am'ish, we have 34 hours before our check in. Do you have any places to recommend along the way as far as food/shop/view is concerned?

Still hunting for a decent ipad mount...
I would recommend visiting Philadelphia, I actually haven't been there yet myself but I hear its an interesting city. You could stop and get a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, Geno's or Pats are the famous ones lol. You could also see DC, many landmarks and has somewhat of a european feel. For shopping since its on the way as well you could go to Delaware since they have no sales tax so you get more stuff for your money!
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #8793
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Washington, DC is 100 times better than Manhattan.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #8794
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Washington, DC is 100 times better than Manhattan.
????
I would say they are just different. Hard to say which is better.
Washington have some excellent free museums but Manhattan is the urban heart of America. Both are equally attractive if you ask me, just in their own ways.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #8795
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

021813 I-84 Graphic copy by OregonDOT, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258 liked this post
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #8796
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

I will agree many more on what I275Westcoastfl has said about driving from Miami to New York City. Interstate 95 is a straight shot going up the Florida east coast and crossing the Florida/Georgia border north of Jacksonville. However, there are alternatives if you are interested. That said:

1. A good alternative to Interstate 95 about almost a half of the way would be to follow the Florida Turnpike north through Orlando to Interstate 75 at Wildwood. Continue north on Interstate 75, crossing the Florida/Georgia border until you get to Interstate 285, which will be the Atlanta bypass. Believe me, I have driven through metro Atlanta traffic on a couple of occasions (that was over ten years ago) and traffic backs up on Interstates 75 and 85 during rush hour!

Once at Interstate 285 follow it to Interstate 85 north. Continue north on Interstate 85 - you'll go through Greenville, South Carolina and Charlotte, North Carolina and before you know it you'll cross the North Carolina/Virginia border as Interstate 85 ends at Interstate 95 south of the Richmond-Petersburg area.

2. Washington, DC area: Take the Beltway, Interstates 95 and 495. That will get you around the Washington, DC metro area.

3. Baltimore: Traffic on Interstate 95 can back up during rush hour. Interstate 695 (the Baltimore loop including the Francis Scott Key Bridge) is your best bet.

4. Once you are on Interstate 95 north over the Maryland/Delaware border, exit onto Interstate 295 in which you will see signs for the Delaware Memorial Bridge as well as the entrance to the New Jersey Turnpike - this will enable you to bypass Philadelphia and should take you straight to New York City.

As I275Westcoastfl has mentioned, please be extremely careful when going through Georgia and Virginia - these states are very strict on speed enforcement. One time I drove out of the Washington, DC area on Interstate 66 to get to Interstate 81 and eventually back home to Florida there were plenty of Virginia State Police parked everywhere you can imagine.

As for your rental, it probably has its license plate registered through SunPass by your car rental company that enables you to use a Florida based toll road or bridge and your car rental company will bill you for the tolls. However, outside Florida this will not work as the states that Interstate 95 passes through in the northeastern US belong to the EZ-Pass toll consortium. For toll facilities outside Florida having cash is important - credit cards are not accepted!

Another great alternative - if your budget will allow (and my apologies for being slightly OT) - is the use of Amtrak's Auto Train from Sanford, Florida (just outside Orlando) to Lorton, Virginia (south of Washington, DC and it's on Interstate 95). This will save you over 900 miles of driving and you can even take your rental car with you. If you want more information on this simply send me a private message, as I don't want to go off topic.

I just thought I would share some alternatives with you. Have a safe trip!

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #8797
tompaw

Thanks again for your feedback, those tips are priceless and will surely make my trip much easier!

Interstate275Fla: believe it or not, but I actually considered the Auto-Train option. I am a regular passanger of AutoZug from Berlin to Narbonne and I simply love this service. Unfortunately, all the tickets are already sold for Friday. This is something that troubles AutoZug as well - you have to book months (sic!) in advance in order to get on board...

I found a decent ipad mount from RAM, so I will be wazed during my trip. I promise to come back to you afterwards to share the experience!

One last question is: which of the routes (95 vs Turnpike + 75 + 85) is less boring and flat? Don't get me wrong - I love long haul drives, but I checked I95 on street view and it seems the same for 600 miles... almost like Belgium :P

Update2: I found the EZ-Pass On-the-Go option, where I can simply walk in and pick up a $25 prepaid tag. Maybe that is something worth looking at?

Last edited by tompaw; March 14th, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #8798
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
One last question is: which of the routes (95 vs Turnpike + 75 + 85) is less boring and flat? Don't get me wrong - I love long haul drives, but I checked I95 on street view and it seems the same for 600 miles... almost like Belgium :P
I-95 from Florida all the way up to Virginia is pretty monotonous however there are several interesting cities along the route such as Charleston and Savannah (Charleston is a bit out of the way however).

Anyways unless if you are planning to stop in Atlanta as well then I don't see the logic in taking I-75 to I-85 at it is way out of the way (plus I-75 south of Atlanta is pretty flat/boring as well). If you are planning to drive from Florida to NYC you are better off taking I-95 to I-77 to I-81 to I-78 as it more direct plus you get to experience more "hilly" terrain.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8799
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Thanks again for your feedback, those tips are priceless and will surely make my trip much easier!

Interstate275Fla: believe it or not, but I actually considered the Auto-Train option. I am a regular passanger of AutoZug from Berlin to Narbonne and I simply love this service. Unfortunately, all the tickets are already sold for Friday. This is something that troubles AutoZug as well - you have to book months (sic!) in advance in order to get on board...
Amtrak is pretty slow and you'll probably spend the same amount if not more on a ticket as you would fuel, you are better off driving!

Quote:
I found a decent ipad mount from RAM, so I will be wazed during my trip. I promise to come back to you afterwards to share the experience!
Let us know and please take pics! One question, are you going to have a data plan for the iPad?

Update2: I found the EZ-Pass On-the-Go option, where I can simply walk in and pick up a $25 prepaid tag. Maybe that is something worth looking at?[/QUOTE]
As diablo said about half your trip along I-95 is boring with nothing to see. If you choose to do I-75 its boring until Atlanta which it becomes a rush in my opinion. As a European-American I can tell you the massive winding Atlanta freeways are an experience, especially if you like driving. Altanta has a 55mph but almost nobody follows it, of course if you go above the limit there is always a risk of being pulled over but its not likely with as many cars as there are in Atlanta.

I drive I-75 to the mountains of North Carolina/Tennessee at least twice a year, from my experience as long as you are through Atlanta between 10am-2pm you will be fine traffic wise. You may hit a slow down near downtown but from my experience you should drive through with no issues. Unfortuately I-85 has some hilly terrain but most of the interesting stuff is further north of it, mountains still start in North Carolina. Also in Florida I would just take I-10 across to I-75, its honestly pretty quick especially at the time of the day you are planning, save money on tolls. Really it would be up to you whether you want to take I-75. This option is about 2 hours longer than the "inland route I was speaking of earlier.

Here is a video of mine from 2011, it was sometime around 2pm. Pretty much what you'll see.

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #8800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10 / SH 99 interchange, Houston, TX

The I-10 / SH 99 (Grand Parkway) interchange progress in Katy, Texas (just west of Houston).

Photo by ScrewdupclickV2.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban