daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #8821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-70 Blanchette Bridge, Missouri

The westbound Blanchette Bridge of I-70 west of St. Louis across the Missouri River is being replaced.

They demolished the old span last December and are now constructing the replacement span.
image hosted on flickr

D5647_CM-103 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ko7 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; April 6th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #8822
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Over this weekend (and the past weekend), there was a major roadworks closure on I-5 northbound in Seattle to replace expansion joints.

Fortunately, this was in the middle of a managed motorway corridor with lane signalling gantries. The Washington State DOT is one of two agencies that have this system (the other being the Minnesota DOT and theirs isn't quite as nice). I was able to get some pictures of the signage. It's listed upstream to downstream.

Strategic diversion VMS legends are used to divert people from a primary route onto a secondary route. These legends are similar in function to the dWista panels in Germany, although they are just standard VMS equipment.

WSDOT is also one of the few American agencies with VMS standardization policies. The messages are kept consistent across VMSs of different sizes to improve readability. Studies have shown that recognition time is decreased with standardized legends, so the text is kept identical despite a larger sign being available. This follows an approach adopted by many European agencies. VMS legends cycle 2 messages at most, changing every 2 to 2.5 seconds.

Queue protection begins with a speed limit display along with "Slow traffic ahead" on the sides.

Lane closure signalling begins. Note that lane signalling allows the HOV lane to be opened for all traffic due to a significant number of lanes on the carriageway being closed downstream. The lane closure "Red X" signals are tapered across multiple gantries to allow for reaction time and extra merging distance.

Again note that VMS legends are kept as consistent as possible to improve readability and recognition time, despite the signs being different sizes.

More lane signalling

Ramp metering is active to regulate the inflow of traffic and improve merging conditions.

The expansion joint replacement

End of work zone. Note that the HOV lane is still open to all traffic to prevent erratic lane changes. It's a minor detail, but it makes sense for additional safety.

The HOV lane is returned to normal 2+ occupant operations 800 m afterwards. By now, traffic has been given time to regain headway distance and return to the right-hand lanes (although lane discipline is poor in this region).

And onto Seattle

Last edited by HAWC1506; April 7th, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #8823
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Nice and comprehensive report

VMS can do wonders to avoid a bad situation become a nightmare.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #8824
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Honestly I am kind of surprised more cities do not use VMS systems with variable speed limits and lane control signals that Seattle has. It would certainly help in keeping traffic moving and preventing possible bottlenecks.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #8825
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Excellent post there!
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8826
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Honestly I am kind of surprised more cities do not use VMS systems with variable speed limits and lane control signals that Seattle has. It would certainly help in keeping traffic moving and preventing possible bottlenecks.
It's coming soon. GDOT will install something similar later this year on the top end of I-285 in Atlanta. I expect TXDoT will follow soon in the Houston and Dallas areas, perhaps enabling 75 mph limits on urban freeways/tollways at night and in very light traffic.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #8827
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
perhaps enabling 75 mph limits on urban freeways/tollways at night and in very light traffic
highly doubt it for Texas, they have a night speed limit posted below that of 75mph.
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #8828
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It would need good compliance. Compliance in Seattle has gotten better but it has been a little over 2 years. It's quite amazing though when people follow the signs because they can move through a bottleneck situation very quickly.

However it takes just one person cutting in line at the last second to bring smooth-flowing traffic to a stop.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8829
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The westbound Blanchette Bridge of I-70 west of St. Louis across the Missouri River is being replaced.

They demolished the old span last December and are now constructing the replacement span.
Interesting, it looks like they are replacing spans like for like. No new design.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8830
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 New Mississippi Bridge, St. Louis

April update:
image hosted on flickr

D5647_CM_R2-123 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5647_CM-157 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sonysnob, Suburbanist liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #8831
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

From AL.com

The Interstate 20 eastbound closure -- between the I-20/59 split and I-459 -- began at midnight and will affect outbound traffic for the next three months.

ALDOT is reconstructing the road surface on this section which hasnt had any work done it since this portion of I-20 opened in 1974. After the eastbound lanes are done, the westbound lanes will be closed for 90 days.

The detour is I-59 North to I-459 South to I-20 East.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #8832
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
highly doubt it for Texas, they have a night speed limit posted below that of 75mph.
Texas got rid of night limits in 2011 in addition to increasing most rural speed limits to 75.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #8833
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 70 - Denver

CDOT plans a major overhaul of the Interstate 70 corridor, east from I-25 to Tower Road (Peña Blvd to Denver Airport). This freeway currently has six lanes and is partially elevated in northern Denver.

The preferred alternative will widen I-70 to 10 lanes and depress the freeway in the residential areas of north Denver, putting a cover across a part of the freeway. Although it's a pretty drastic widening, only 55 homes would have to be demolished. Most of I-70 runs through industrial and commercial areas.

sonysnob, Suburbanist, -Corey- liked this post
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #8834
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

The old dual carriageway on future I86 between Lowman and Elmira, NY, was recently converted into a full expressway. Drove there on Wednesday, although it was heavy thunderstorm. Google Earth and accompanied map still show old dual carriageway with junctions in the same level. However, the Interstate badge signs are covered with black foil, only the tables with FUTURE I86 are shown.
Between Monticello and Binghamton, NY, there are works on conversion of old bridges into the expressway-standard ones. Between Hancock and Deposit, NY, there are still a few old-fashioned junctions in the same level.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #8835
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
CDOT plans a major overhaul of the Interstate 70 corridor, east from I-25 to Tower Road (Peña Blvd to Denver Airport). This freeway currently has six lanes and is partially elevated in northern Denver.

The preferred alternative will widen I-70 to 10 lanes and depress the freeway in the residential areas of north Denver, putting a cover across a part of the freeway. Although it's a pretty drastic widening, only 55 homes would have to be demolished. Most of I-70 runs through industrial and commercial areas.

So is CDOT planning to add HOV/HOT Lanes to I-70 East? That seems a bit overboard to me.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8836
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder what their plan of financing is. These do look like express lanes (i.e. tolls) but their cross-section diagrams show 5 undivided lanes each way, with no suggestion of HOV or toll lanes.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #8837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-94 Edens Expressway, Chicago, IL

Apparently flooding is a recurring issue on the Edens Expressway, the oldest expressway in the Chicago area.

sonysnob liked this post
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8838
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

It's nice to see Interstate 22 signs up!
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #8839
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Dig those crazy LA Freeways

http://asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/105/index.html
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:08 AM   #8840
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-495 Queens

image hosted on flickr

P1120495 by taigatrommelchen, on Flickr

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban