daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:15 PM   #8941
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Interestingly I-81 carries more truck traffic than I-95. Virginia is working to upgrade parts of it to six lanes. Eventually most of I-81 south of Harrisburg should have six lanes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #8942
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I'll check it out. I'm going to New York, Philadelphia and Williamsburg, VA within two weeks.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #8943
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interestingly I-81 carries more truck traffic than I-95. Virginia is working to upgrade parts of it to six lanes. Eventually most of I-81 south of Harrisburg should have six lanes.
No doubt. That was my preferred route between college and home last decade. They had been talking about the upgrades since I was still a student there (graduated in '05). It's long overdue.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:20 PM   #8944
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I've always been amazed with how many trucks I see here in Austin on IH 35. So many of them, I love seeing 18-wheelers.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #8945
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor L Gee View Post
No doubt. That was my preferred route between college and home last decade. They had been talking about the upgrades since I was still a student there (graduated in '05). It's long overdue.
That is my preferred route driving to NY, I-95 sucks.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #8946
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

I personally witnessed the importance of 81 as a national truck route during my recent trip to Blacksburg, wherein every electronic sign I saw starting in Bristol, TN warned of 81's closure in Harrisburg, PA, some 400 miles away.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #8947
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

If anyone's interested, part of the only interstate that links the west coast of the U.S. with Canada is now in the water. I-5 is now closed in Washington State at junction 229. How this is representative of a first-world country, I don't know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22650268

Images

Last edited by HAWC1506; May 24th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #8948
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

A portion of the Interstate 5 Skagit River bridge in Mount Vernon, WA has collapsed tonight; unknown number of injured and/or deaths.
Capped from KOMO and KIRO out of Seattle:

Old May 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #8949
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Update: KIRO-TV just broadcasted that a wide-load semi might have hit a girder that made it collapse per a witness who was on the bridge when it happened. Also, a WaDOT representative is saying it's very possible that a over-height semi hit a girder causing the bridge to collapse.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #8950
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Looks like no one died as a result of this bridge's collapse. In fact, the Seattle Times is reporting that only 2 vehicles fell into the river and there were 3 injuries with none of them major. According to the governor, it will cost $15 million to repair the bridge.

FWIW, I don't think this bridge collapse should not be compared to the I-35W collapse in Minneapolis. The I-35 collapse was a result of a design flaw and added weight due to construction activities, not the result of something hitting the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
How this is representative of a first-world country, I don't know.
I don't think that's a fair statement if, indeed, an oversize load struck the bridge causing it to collapse.

brewerfan386 liked this post
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #8951
Road_UK
BANNED

They did say that a lot of bridges especially in Washington do not comply with safety standards.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #8952
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The truss structure has arched overhead cross-beams which are slightly lower at the edge of the bridge than across the lanes. Considering there are no shoulders, an oversized truck hitting them sounds a plausible explanation.

Considering the bridge is almost 60 years old and does not have a very high deficiency rating, it's not really surprising a hit like this caused it to collapse. Even if it has a deficiency rating high enough to declare it safe, it doesn't mean it can withstand something like this. It appears that the oversized truck itself did make it across the bridge and did not fell into the water together with the bridge segment.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #8953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-81 Syracuse, NY

Interstate 81 runs from south to north through the Syracuse metro area, serving downtown. The expressway opened in the 1960s and is reportedly in poor condition, especially the viaducts around downtown.

They are studying various options, including replacement, burying or removal.

http://thei81challenge.org

While I-481 would be capable of handling through traffic in case of a removal scenario, traffic volumes are too high to turn it into an at-grade boulevard, the downtown segment carries 90,000 - 100,000 vehicles per day, you need a super wide urban thoroughfare to handle that kind of traffic with traffic signals (at least 10 lanes, more at intersections). A bury scenario seems unlikely with the limited funding available. I think a reconstruction of the elevated expressway is most cost-effective.

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #8954
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I was looking at the I-70 in Utah on Google Maps, that is interesting because it runs truly in the middle of nowhere for hundreds of km.
At a certain point there is this: quite weird for an interstate (motorway\expressway), isn't it? Are there many places like that in the USA?
There is a stretch of I-70 in south-central Utah where there are no services for 105 miles. No services. No gas. No food. No water. No nothing but some rather fantastic scenery. There are maybe a dozen or so at-grade 'off ramps' that lead to ranch roads, that may themselves be 10 or 20 miles or more from some sort of habitation. There is really nothing man-made there. But then you hit places like Spotted Wolf Canyon. :

and the San Rafael Swell:

Road_UK liked this post
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #8955
JimInJersey

Cross Country in an RV, 2012

In June/July of 2012, we (Self, wife, and brother-in-law) headed to Salt Lake City for a convention. We only had two weeks, and we knew we'd be in SLC for 5 of them, so we didn't have a lot of time for meandering around.

BIL and I shared driving. I took a lot of pics out the windshield and side window, with the attendant sharpness and fuzziness problems, but that's the best we could do.

Our route followed the Delaware Memorial Bridge, south on I-95 to I-695 around Baltimore, across the top of Maryland to I-70 to I-68, then I-79 north into PA where we hooked up with I-70 West. Followed I-70 to Indianapolis, then branched NW along I-74 to the Quad Cities where we picked up I-80, which would take us all the way to Salt Lake.

Coming home, we took I-15 south to I-70, then I-70 East to Saint Louis where we hooked up with I-64, which we followed east, over the hills of West Virginia, north a bit on I-81 in Virginia, then east again on I-64 to Norfolk, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, and up the Delmarva Peninsula on US 13.

I-68 west of Columbia, Maryland

I-70 in Ohio:

I-74 in Indiana, NW of Indianapolis:

An I-80 truck stop west of Des Moines, Iowa:

I-80 in Iowa

I-80, central southern Wyoming

I-80 near Evanston, Wyoming. Desolation personified.

I-80 in Utah, coming down into the Wasatch Valley of Salt Lake:

I-15 South, heading to Salt Lake City.

Salt Lake City skyline:

Eastbound leg on subsequent post...

Road_UK, keokiracer, bozenBDJ liked this post
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #8956
Road_UK
BANNED

Great photos. How long did the actual drive take?
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #8957
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The collapsed I-5 Bridge in Mount Vernon, WA

image hosted on flickr

I-5 Skagit River Bridge - Aerial View by WSDOT, on Flickr
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #8958
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Three lines are still left, will be slower than before but ok until the collapse bridge is repaired/replaced.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8959
JimInJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Great photos. How long did the actual drive take?
I assume that's directed at me - it was about three and a half days out to the Salt Lake valley. We left NJ Friday AM, arrived Ogden, UT about 2PM, Monday. We toured the Antelope Island State Park in the Great Salt Lake on Tuesday, and then went down to SLC for the Wednesday-Saturday convention.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #8960
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's because it allows truck traffic to bypass congestion in Washington DC/Northern Virginia.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban