daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM   #881
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Because of the false assumption that speed is the main reason for traffic collisions. In the USA, the biggest crime is speeding and not stopping for the STOP signs. Most traffic tickets are exactly for these two types of offences.

Actually, in Texas they recently raised the limit to 130 km/h. Other states have lower limits.
One thing that also has to be considered is the lax standards for drivers' licenses in the US compared to western Europe. Not that I agree with the rationale, but when you consider that most here deem driving a right and a necessity, not as much a privilege and a "luxury" (for lack of a better term), greater restriction on what drivers can do on the public roads can seem more reasonable.

Also, only in extreme West Texas is the speed limit 80 or 75 mph. In the majority of the state (i.e. I-35 between Dallas and San Antonio, I-45 between Houston and Dallas, I-10 between San Antonio and Houston) the speed limit only gets up to 70 (112 km/h).
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM   #882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I would fall asleep driving 200 miles or 320km straight with 112km/h... Why isn't the speed limit just 80MPH? Makes way more sense.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:47 AM   #883
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, outside of urban areas where the traffic is lighter, most of people exceed this 112 km/h limit. In Northern California people drive 130 km/h and up if the conditions allow. Some folks still drive 105-112 km/h, but it's the category of driver that would drive at this speed even if there was no speed limit at all.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM   #884
Jalisquillo20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

las carreteras de EUA estan en buenas condiciones
Jalisquillo20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM   #885
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I would fall asleep driving 200 miles or 320km straight with 112km/h... Why isn't the speed limit just 80MPH? Makes way more sense.
Revenue my friend.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:25 AM   #886
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Because of the false assumption that speed is the main reason for traffic collisions. In the USA, the biggest crime is speeding and not stopping for the STOP signs. Most traffic tickets are exactly for these two types of offences.

Some eastern states have a maximum limit of 90 km/h.

Actually, in Texas they recently raised the limit to 130 km/h. Other states have lower limits.
Only in urban areas. Limit increases to 65, but still too slow IMO.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM   #887
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

These two links have some west Texas interstate pictures with quite a few "speed limit 80" signs.

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/moder...est_texas.aspx

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/moder...est_texas.aspx

I wanted to post them here but he's set everything up so well on his own page with descriptions.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM   #888
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

wat are some pics of some max and min signs on freeways in america?
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:46 AM   #889
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Why the Speed Limit is slow in US?

I'll give you a correct answer. The Oil Crisis of early 70s. United States before the crisis has an average speed limit of 70 miles per hour in urban highways. After the crisis, the Federal Gov believes that there is a big need of change for the energy or oil conservation throughout United States. The one change they made is to tell the Car Manufacturers such as GMC and Ford to stop or minimize the making and manufacturing of the great muscle cars of the 60s and 70s era. Of course, that includes the V12 and V16 Engines. So that's the reason of the collapse of the muscle cars.

Then, they told all the states to change the speed limits of of 70 MPH Speed Limit to 55 (I think they changed the 75 to 65 Speed Limit but I maybe wrong). They gave a warning that if a state will not change it, then the Federal Highway Funding of that state will be stop. They banned the famous American Autobahn Highway of Montana and changed it to 70 MPH Speed Limit (Accidents were also another reason for the change). Many commuters around United States complained that it is slowing them down going to work but there is nothing they can do. The State of Nevada tried to change it back to 70 but the Federal Highway Administration automatically warned them that they will not help in funding the growth and maintenance of their highways.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:15 AM   #890
Alex Von Königsberg

Well, the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act (which Gaeus referred to) was changed in 1987 to allow 65 mph, and then in 1995 it was completely abandoned. Twelve years ago the states once again were permitted to set their own limits (or the absence of any limits). Montana, for example, for a couple of years allowed drivers to drive as fast as they wanted as long as it was reasonable and safe, and many other states raised their limits back to 75 mph. So, in my opinion, the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act has little to do with the fact that the speed limits are still low as of 2007.

On the other hand, if the states keep low speed limits in order to conserve fuel, then I think they would be better off raising the cost of petrol and charging motorists for driving on interstates. At least it would be something that the government can control because it is physically impossible to make sure all motorists follow the speed limits.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #891
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Simple physics... a constant 75 MPH on cruise is more efficient than 55-70 variably changing. I understand this isn't possible on most urban or high traffic areas, but 75-80 with little traffic on cruise is quite efficient.

Another good reason to move to Montana, Idaho, Utah, or Nevada!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM   #892
Alex Von Königsberg

I liked Montana very much on my trip back in 1999 because of its scenery, but I doubt there will be any job for my speciality. Also, on that time people still drove 140 km/h on average (I was not used to seeing a very old grandma driving 140 km/h in other states), and I am wondering whether they still do. The speed limit of 120 km/h was in effect for 8 years...
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM   #893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You guys need to drive on Diesel fuel or in more fuel efficient cars. That helps much more in fuel saving than such low speed limits. Your fuel consumption only goes fast if you drive over 140/150km/h (85 - 95mph)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #894
Alex Von Königsberg

Chris, it seems that the American public finally started realising that and, therefore, the GM and Ford sales are down while Toyota is doing better than ever.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #895
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Europeans drive on much higher quality roads and vehicles than their counterparts in the USA. Therefore the speed limits can be higher in Europe. The automobiles are also more fuel efficient in Europe.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #896
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Well, the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act (which Gaeus referred to) was changed in 1987 to allow 65 mph, and then in 1995 it was completely abandoned. Twelve years ago the states once again were permitted to set their own limits (or the absence of any limits). Montana, for example, for a couple of years allowed drivers to drive as fast as they wanted as long as it was reasonable and safe, and many other states raised their limits back to 75 mph. So, in my opinion, the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act has little to do with the fact that the speed limits are still low as of 2007.
One aspect of the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act that often escaped notice was that states could lose funding if they didn't adequately enforce speed limits. So the relevant agencies would prepare a report on speed limit compliance and employ a plethora of factors and adjustments to make a case that speed limits were being reasonably well enforced when any driver could see that they weren't. By the time that process was over, the truth had been shredded. Myself, I'd rather have the bureaucrats I pay working on elucidation rather than obfuscation!

The reason speed limits are still low in some places is that lower speed limits significantly improved safety.

Quote:
On the other hand, if the states keep low speed limits in order to conserve fuel, then I think they would be better off raising the cost of petrol and charging motorists for driving on interstates. At least it would be something that the government can control because it is physically impossible to make sure all motorists follow the speed limits.
I agree, as do many people across the poltical spectrum, but in the US a large majority of people regard cheap gas and tollfree highways as a basic human rights. As one of the minority of Americans who is concerned about the fact that my country is running a trade deficit of 7% of GDP, a large proportion of which goes to imported fuel and vehicles, I find this rather alarming, but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by Tom 958; July 22nd, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: one small addition
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The reason speed limits are still low in some places is that lower speed limits significantly improved safety.
The Danish risen the speed limit from 110 to 130 a few years ago, resulting in less accidents. I think, that with a low speed limit, people are paying less attention.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #898
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Europeans drive on much higher quality roads and vehicles than their counterparts in the USA. Therefore the speed limits can be higher in Europe. The automobiles are also more fuel efficient in Europe.
Yes. Europe rules at everything.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:46 AM   #899
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

It doesn't matter how efficent cars are there. Here, speeding and traffic violations are a major source of revenue for the Police departments. Hell will freeze over when speed limits are raised, because the cash cow will be killed!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #900
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
The Danish risen the speed limit from 110 to 130 a few years ago, resulting in less accidents. I think, that with a low speed limit, people are paying less attention.
I have read somewhere that in Montana there were no increase in number of accidents and deaths on roads when there was no speed limit. In Germany where there is no limit on freeways is less accidents than in many countries which have limits.
There were some researches done showing that too slow limit is danger because it makes people paying less attention on road. If you drive over 150 kmph you don’t send text messages or eat same time
Speed limits about 110 kmph (70mph) were ok with old cars without ABS and other equipment which is now standard. It is safer to drive modern car 150 kmph that was to drive most of cars 110 kmph 25 years ago.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban