daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9001
GMACK24

Likes (Received): 2

Hey Another Zakim : )

Love it !!!!!!!

Here is our Zakim @ Night

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/8912948072/

image hosted on flickr
GMACK24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #9002
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMACK24 View Post
Hey Another Zakim : )
Love it !!!!!!!
I got one of them too - the Delaware State Route 1 bridge, Veterans Memorial, over the C & D Canal near St Georges, DE.

image hosted on flickr

C&D Canal Bridge-3 by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

EdmundX liked this post
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #9003
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

But that's not (yet) an interstate!

Anyways, WisDOT just uploaded a fascinating video clip to Youtube showing a time-lapse of the placement of the new spans for the Rawson Ave bridge over I-(41)/94 in south suburban Milwaukee, WI.

Enjoy!

Mike

FM 2258, Baiazid liked this post
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #9004
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

image hosted on flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, keokiracer liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:10 PM   #9005
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-280 zigzags through San Francisco:

image hosted on flickr

Chutes and Ladders by jrodmanjr, on Flickr
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM   #9006
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Great zoom photo. In reality there is a wide rail corridor between the house on the foreground and the highway split behind it. The exit in the background is over a mile away from these buildings.
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #9007
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
image hosted on flickr
The 10k-60k bracket is a bit too large. They could split it into something like 10-25 or 30k and another one 30k -60k.

Some of the yellow roads can carry just 11k and be very quiet for freeways and some can carry 59k and be traffic choked and congested.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #9008
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl....html?page=all

A nice read about Dallas area toll roads.

Do we have to have tolls on all our major highway projects? (the answer is: YES)
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #9009
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Makes sense, at least many of the tolled expressways have service roads which you can use with speed limits of 45mph but you can really go 55mph+ on them. One complaint I have is to get a TX toll tag costs $40, which if you are from out-of-town in a rental car its not really an option. The rental car company charges $5/day to use their toll service which is a bit ridiculous too. It would be nice if they had something like the Florida sunpass where you buy a sticker with a transponder for $5 (which is credited to your account) and you use it until you leave town and then close the account if you want to.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9010
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

I think it is pure nonsense that people like all of the tollways. All I ever see are complaints. All I ever hear are complaints. They build these tollways and then businesses relocate to them, and you pretty much have no choice in some of these areas or you face a 2 hour commute each way by taking alternative routes. This happened with me, and I was irate. I am certain my former place of work had to take some kind of incentive from the NTTA to relocate, because the location was horrible.

The NTTA is obviously in the pockets of the legislature, as they tend to do whatever they can to not bring up any funding mechanism. This was supposed to be done AGAIN last month, but they blame the abortion filibuster for it not coming up. BS. Pure BS. There is absolutely no reason for any of this nonsense to be happening. Just crooked politicians enjoying their conservative majority. There's no reason the gas tax couldn't be raised 1 cent like they claim would end funding woes. Just absolute bs.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #9011
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Count your blessings and be happy you don't live in France or Italy where you pay $ 8.50 per gallon for fuel AND pay tolls. Or pay $ 1000 per year in road taxes and a 65% tax on new vehicles, like we do in the Netherlands.

Really, some Americans need to get some perspective about how "expensive" it is to drive in the U.S. There is not a single high-income country in the world with gas prices and motoring taxes as low as the U.S. It's either a toll road or no road.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sebi23ro, Talbot liked this post
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #9012
rantanamo

Quote:
Count your blessings and be happy you don't live in France or Italy where you pay $ 8.50 per gallon for fuel AND pay tolls. Or pay $ 1000 per year in road taxes and a 65% tax on new vehicles, like we do in the Netherlands.

Really, some Americans need to get some perspective about how "expensive" it is to drive in the U.S. There is not a single high-income country in the world with gas prices and motoring taxes as low as the U.S. It's either a toll road or no road.

I guess you were just wanting to give some lecture to an American or something? Read what I said again. The Texas Legislature and TxDOT have already stated that raising the gasoline tax by $.01/gallon would fund all of the needed projects in Texas. But they refuse to vote on it. There's always some excuse. That's the only reason there are Tollways in Texas, because they refuse to even put the proposal on the board for the people to vote on it. Its not toll or no road. Its political filandering to certain companies. I'm not complaining about the tax, I want them raised. I'm complaining about them not even giving the people a chance to decide.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #9013
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The gas tax has not been adjusted for inflation and rising construction cost for over 20 years. A 1 cent raise isn't really going to cut it, it would raise revenue by 5% or approximately $ 300 million per year. You can construct one toll-free road for that kind of money every 10 years.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #9014
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
I think it is pure nonsense that people like all of the tollways. All I ever see are complaints. All I ever hear are complaints. They build these tollways and then businesses relocate to them, and you pretty much have no choice in some of these areas or you face a 2 hour commute each way by taking alternative routes. This happened with me, and I was irate. I am certain my former place of work had to take some kind of incentive from the NTTA to relocate, because the location was horrible.

The NTTA is obviously in the pockets of the legislature, as they tend to do whatever they can to not bring up any funding mechanism. This was supposed to be done AGAIN last month, but they blame the abortion filibuster for it not coming up. BS. Pure BS. There is absolutely no reason for any of this nonsense to be happening. Just crooked politicians enjoying their conservative majority. There's no reason the gas tax couldn't be raised 1 cent like they claim would end funding woes. Just absolute bs.
They relocate to them because they are the lifelines of metro areas and quick and efficient travel. Try driving across the northern half of the metroplex without using a toll road, it sucks.. Honestly its both the politicians and majority of voters in the state of Texas, they don't want to raise the gas tax AT ALL. So the infrastructure needs to grow somehow with all the growth you guys are experiencing. I'd take toll roads over sitting on clogged artery roads which is what we do in Florida all day.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #9015
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2774

Six miles of I-20 west will be closed for 90 days starting at midnight from I-459 to I-59 near the airport. ALDOT is reconstructing the portion of the interstate.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #9016
rantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
They relocate to them because they are the lifelines of metro areas and quick and efficient travel. Try driving across the northern half of the metroplex without using a toll road, it sucks.. Honestly its both the politicians and majority of voters in the state of Texas, they don't want to raise the gas tax AT ALL. So the infrastructure needs to grow somehow with all the growth you guys are experiencing. I'd take toll roads over sitting on clogged artery roads which is what we do in Florida all day.
again, the point is being missed. The politicians are not allowing the issue to go to voters, and continue to kick it back. It needs to be raised some and everyone knows it. This is talked about on local news programs all the time. Again, the politicians are not even allowing it to be discussed or even brought up by anyone during legislative sessions. That is different than people not voting for or wanting it. That's pure politics. Besides, bills on the issue could be passed, but again, the issue has been blocked time and again. This will come to a head at some point.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #9017
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-81, West Virginia

Widening of I-81 to six lanes north of Martinsburg, WV.

image hosted on flickr

I-81 Work Zone by WVDOT, on Flickr
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #9018
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
again, the point is being missed. The politicians are not allowing the issue to go to voters, and continue to kick it back. It needs to be raised some and everyone knows it. This is talked about on local news programs all the time. Again, the politicians are not even allowing it to be discussed or even brought up by anyone during legislative sessions. That is different than people not voting for or wanting it. That's pure politics. Besides, bills on the issue could be passed, but again, the issue has been blocked time and again. This will come to a head at some point.
True, the politicians are afraid because they don't want to be associated with raising taxes.
Old July 10th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #9019
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
I-95 in CT from New Haven to the NY border less than 150k/day? Hard to believe.

Was driving down that highway yesterday; it's a total mess that sometimes rivals the worst in NYC itself.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #9020
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

As for the gas tax vs tolls argument, I much prefer the former to the latter. My state, Connecticut, actually has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. Prices are regularly 30-40 cents higher than Massachusetts. But, I hate dealing with toll booths, they are beyond annoying. I'm glad CT has no tolls.

There was actually a 4 cent hike last week.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban