daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #9041
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

Freeway expansion in Surprise, AZ

Story here: http://arizona.newszap.com/westvalle...-surprise-area
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9042
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

One of the most beautiful road videos I've ever seen.

wkiehl101, n20 liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:58 PM   #9043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-70 New Mississippi Bridge, St. Louis

image hosted on flickr

284A2246 by missriverbridge_photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

284A2216 by missriverbridge_photos, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

lafreak84, wkiehl101, n20 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9044
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-80 San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge

Per the title. Great video.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

n20, darko06 liked this post
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #9045
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

beatiful video! i had no idea that it was so busy!
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #9046
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
beatiful video! i had no idea that it was so busy!
It's the most critical highway link in a metro of over 8 million people. Yes, it's busy.

Now that I've busted your chops, I'll bust my own: From http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=2125 re http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
It's the first new capacity in greater Atlanta in quite some time.
Not quite. There's a major widening underway on I-20 east from I-285 to Panola Road. I had it in mind to check it out on my way back from Florida a few weeks ago, but they had the ramp from I-285 north to I-20 east closed, and traffic was really messed up, so I didn't.
Well, I finally made the trip down there this afternoon, and... I was so wrong. The project is all but completed, and all that was added capacitywise was a single eastbound lane.

But wait-- there's more:

The most essential element of the project is a new configuration between i-285 and Wesley Chapel Road. Formerly, a two lane ramp from I-285 combined with the three lane eastbound mainline (streetview] for a five lane roadway, dropping two lanes at the Wesley Chapel exit (streetview). Now, though, there's a three lane mainline and a three lane CD there-- the ramp from I-20 to Wesley Chapel starts way back at 285, and the lane from that ramp continues, so that no left-side merge is required. The Wesley Chapel end of the CD branches 3 --> 2+2, so only one lane change is required for exiting traffic, and the split is marked with what I suspect is Georgia's first "European style" multiple-upward-arrow sign. Very clear. Except...

The exit ramp is actually only one lane wide and the optional lane depicted on the signage doesn't exist! Worse, the gap through which it goes is barely wide enough for two vehicles abreast, even if they share the lane that's marked and each rides halfway on the narrow shoulders. If someone tries to exit using that nonexistent optional lane, they're in for a terrifying surprise, along with any other motorists in the immediate area. WTF?

Beyond that, the two lanes for the CD join right into the mainline very shortly afterward, despite the fact that GDOT spent a great deal of money adding CD pockets on both the eastbound and westbound sides of I-20(streetview). Since no capacity at all has been added westbound, the CD pockets sit unused.

That said, transitioning the CD back into the mainline ASAP was the correct thing to do considering what happens next: after the onramp from Wesley Chapel enters, the roadway tapers down to four lanes from five so it can fit across an existing bridge across a small creek and, later, under the existing bridge carrying Miller Road across I-20. OK, it's not unusual for GDOT to cram one more lane than will really fit under an existing bridge-- see I-285 north as widened before the Olympics. But on I-285, they at least added shoulders to the bridges carrying I-285. In this case, they didn't widen the bridge over the creek at all-- it has absolutely no right shoulder, and only a narrow left shoulder. On the contrary, tall noise barriers were built on either side of the bridge, so that the no-shoulder configuration is even longer than it needs to be to avoid widening the bridge. The bridges were completed in 1960 or so-- it's hard to imagine that they're in prime condition, and should they require replacement or major renovation, it'll be harder to do now.

And, the Panola Road bridge remains as it was before the project-- it and the two minor bridges over I-20 immediately east and west of it are the only ones in the way of a 2x5 widening all the way to Conyers.

I dunno... I'm not a big advocate of huge freeway expansions in Atlanta, but this project sets a new standard of cheapness which is especially infuriating considering the amount of money that's already been spent to prepare this part of I-20 for major widening. IMO, it's defensible be extravagant, and it's defensible be frugal, but it's indefensible to be so grossly inconsistent.

OTOH, it's not as infuriating as this. tho admittedly that's not saying much.

On an unrelated topic, I also drove through the I-85-GA 400 interchange today, since I noticed yesterday on the way to work that three lanes were closed there for roadwork (I guess that motorists didn't believe the signs-- by the time I left work at 1pm, traffic was backed up to Spaghetti Junction. ). The precast beams for the flyover from southbound 400 to northbound 85 have now been erected over I-85, with only the ones over the outer margins remaining. I wish that GDOT took a more Texan approach to bridge aesthetics, but the graceful arc of the bridge's path makes it look OK even though it's built of cheap AASHTO girders.

Last edited by Tom 958; July 29th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #9047
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Speaking of the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge, a possible BART strike could lead to more of this soon:

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...d_strike_looms

Talks continue...

JimInJersey, Suburbanist, lafreak84 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #9048
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Punk - Holy Lemmings, Batman! That must have been lots o' fun...
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #9049
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

How relevant is BART for trans-bay total traffic?
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #9050
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How relevant is BART for trans-bay total traffic?
Around 250,000 East Bay commuters use BART daily and 400,000 overall. Losing that option would result in people scrambling for alternatives which basically means way more bridge traffic and gridlock. Ferries are being readied to deal with the crush while the Governor has just intervened to delay a strike. 95,000 use the Transbay tube daily.
Old August 5th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #9051
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Speaking of the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge, a possible BART strike could lead to more of this soon:

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...d_strike_looms

Talks continue...
... and that's how the Bay Bridge looked this morning (and according to reports it still looks that way now at 1PM PST) not because BART went on strike but because a burning big rig has closed all but the far left lane just as you get off the bridge in San Francisco. The fire occurred at 5:45 AM and they don't expect to clear the smouldering remains until 3:00 PM. Thank god there wasn't a BART strike otherwise, traffic would have been awful to historic proportions.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ge-4707080.php

FWIW, the BART strike has been put-off for 7 more days by order of Gov. Jerry Brown.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9052
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Hell I'd rather take the train vs drive in that traffic any day.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #9053
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Hell I'd rather take the train vs drive in that traffic any day.
Well that's the point, that traffic is that bad because the train isn't an option.
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #9054
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The reason for congestion is people clogging up the cash lanes. You can see on that photo that there is hardly any queue for the fastrak lanes. There is traffic metering after the toll plaza by the way, an indication that the bridge does not have sufficient capacity in regular conditions either. Which is not a surprise with an average 280,000 AADT squeezed on only 5 lanes each way.
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #9055
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is traffic metering after the toll plaza by the way, an indication that the bridge does not have sufficient capacity in regular conditions either. Which is not a surprise with an average 280,000 AADT squeezed on only 5 lanes each way.
I don't think it's an issue of capacity. The metering lights were put in because you have 18 or so lanes at the toll plaza that need to squeeze into 5 lanes on the bridge. On a "normal" commute, the metering lights work quite well to keep traffic flowing on the upper deck of the bridge.

BTW, the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge will retain the same configuration as the existing bridge, 5 lanes in each direction.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #9056
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think a wider eastern span makes much sense at this time, considering the western span cannot be widened. We should count our blessings that the western span was built as wide as it is in the 1930s.
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #9057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Minneapolis - St. Paul

I was looking into the Minneapolis - St. Paul "Twin Cities" freeway system and I noticed a couple of oddities.

First of all, the freeway network is very dense, perhaps one of the densest of any large metropolitan area in the U.S. Freeways are usually no more than 5 miles apart.

However, most of these freeways are fairly narrow, with only 4 or 6 lanes. Wider segments are rare and never long. The density of the network makes up for the lack of capacity on these freeways, you can choose many alternate routes, which is a good thing.

I think the weakness of the system are its interchanges. Virtually all freeway-to-freeway interchanges are the most basic form of cloverleafs, many lack even collector/distributor lanes that separate weaving traffic from through traffic. MSP must be the cloverleaf capital of the U.S.

Additionally, the Twin Cities have an unusual amount of interchange weaves, where two freeways join for a very short segment, for example I-35W/I-94, I-35W/MN-62, I-35E/I-94 and I-35E/I-694. Some of these bottlenecks have been widened in recent years.

Old August 10th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #9058
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

They had even more expressways planned. For example, I-335 (Which IMO should have been I-335W as it would have connected to I-35W but no to I-35 or I-35E) was intended to close the Minneapolis inner ring North of the downtown.

Anyway, I-35 through Minnesota has gained the right to be my avatar. Not only has the number of my favorite bus route, but it is also linked to the reason I have that bus route as favorite .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #9059
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9720

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was looking into the Minneapolis - St. Paul "Twin Cities" freeway system and I noticed a couple of oddities.

First of all, the freeway network is very dense, perhaps one of the densest of any large metropolitan area in the U.S. Freeways are usually no more than 5 miles apart.

However, most of these freeways are fairly narrow, with only 4 or 6 lanes. Wider segments are rare and never long. The density of the network makes up for the lack of capacity on these freeways, you can choose many alternate routes, which is a good thing.

I think the weakness of the system are its interchanges. Virtually all freeway-to-freeway interchanges are the most basic form of cloverleafs, many lack even collector/distributor lanes that separate weaving traffic from through traffic. MSP must be the cloverleaf capital of the U.S.

Additionally, the Twin Cities have an unusual amount of interchange weaves, where two freeways join for a very short segment, for example I-35W/I-94, I-35W/MN-62, I-35E/I-94 and I-35E/I-694. Some of these bottlenecks have been widened in recent years.

\starts being OT

That sure is a lot of lakes and ponds .

\ends being OT

--

\starts being on-topic

I can still spot some [not connected] gaps in that picture .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #9060
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
One of the most beautiful road videos I've ever seen.

The same road movie maker uploaded two other videos of the same Interstate. He was on a road trip from Georgia to California I think.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban