daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #9061
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The same road movie maker uploaded two other videos of the same Interstate. He was on a road trip from Georgia to California I think.
We did that stretch of I-70 last Summer coming home from Salt Lake City - it was pretty spectacular in spots - and very desolate as well. A nice contrast to my East Coast upbringing. The film maker missed one spectacular view though - the eastbound overlook of Spotted Wolf Canyon, which he entered going West early on in the video.

image hosted on flickr

Spotted Wolf Canyon 2 by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9062
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
....For example, I-335 (Which IMO should have been I-335W as it would have connected to I-35W but no to I-35 or I-35E)....
Small point about numbering here: 335 would have been an adequate designation. Until this recent proliferation of 69s in south Texas*, Interstates with letters had gone out of style. In fact, the original (planned) system had lots of them and there were plenty of them around in the 70s, maybe the early 80s (the western version of I-84 was 80N...) but at some point a decision was made to eliminate them. The two places where 35 splits into 35E and 35W were the only exceptions until those 69s (most likely because no one wants to annoy people in Fort Worth and Saint Paul by making theirs a three-digit route, thus suggesting they're less important than Dallas and Minneapolis). And the unnecessary W in that 335W designation would be one more thing to take up space on the sign. In fact, the near-beltway around Dallas that connects with 35E twice but never touches 35 at all is I-635. As you, CNGL, surely know. (But does your mother know?)

*Insert joke of your choice here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9063
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
\starts being OT

That sure is a lot of lakes and ponds .

\ends being OT

--

\starts being on-topic

I can still spot some [not connected] gaps in that picture .
OT: Minnesota's known as The Land of 10,000 Lakes.

PS to JiminJersey: We appear to be neighbors. At least by SSC standards.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9064
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Small point about numbering here: 335 would have been an adequate designation.
But I-184 in Boise was I-180N until the change...

Suffixed 2di interstates that have gone now:
I-5W - now I-505, I-80, I-580 via Oakland
I-15W - now I-86 (west)
I-15E - now I-215 (CA)
I-35W - now I-135 in OK
I-70S - now I-70 south of Pittsburgh (I-70 main route now I-79, I-376, I-76)
I-70S - I-270 to Washington
I-70N - now I-70 into Baltimore
I-80S - now I-76 (west)
I-80S - now I-76 (east)
I-80N - I-84 (west)
I-80N - now I-680 (IA)
I-80N - now I-480 via Cleveland
I-81E - I-380 (PA)
I-90N - I-190 (NY)
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9065
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hmmm.

This page ( http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0184id ) says it was designated as 180N, 180, and Business Loop 84 at various times, but it's not specific about when.

Wikipedia says the 180N designation was "on paper."

When I'm at my mother's later, if I have nothing better to do, I'll see if I have maps that are old enough and if so how they mark it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #9066
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Small point about numbering here: 335 would have been an adequate designation. Until this recent proliferation of 69s in south Texas*, Interstates with letters had gone out of style. In fact, the original (planned) system had lots of them and there were plenty of them around in the 70s, maybe the early 80s (the western version of I-84 was 80N...) but at some point a decision was made to eliminate them. The two places where 35 splits into 35E and 35W were the only exceptions until those 69s (most likely because no one wants to annoy people in Fort Worth and Saint Paul by making theirs a three-digit route, thus suggesting they're less important than Dallas and Minneapolis). And the unnecessary W in that 335W designation would be one more thing to take up space on the sign. In fact, the near-beltway around Dallas that connects with 35E twice but never touches 35 at all is I-635. As you, CNGL, surely know. (But does your mother know?)

*Insert joke of your choice here.
Once I thought I-635 should be I-635E unless it is extended to I-35W . The AASHTO did a good job removing almost all the suffixes, they should lend one or two employees to China, where they are about to put some suffixed routes (I'm writting a long post with all the designations BTW).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #9067
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
PS to JiminJersey: We appear to be neighbors. At least by SSC standards.
Could well be. I'm about 10 miles south of Wilmington, on the Jersey side. Can see the towers of the Del Memorial Bridge from my back yard. I was born at Pennsylvania Hospital.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #9068
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was looking into the Minneapolis - St. Paul "Twin Cities" freeway system and I noticed a couple of oddities.

First of all, the freeway network is very dense, perhaps one of the densest of any large metropolitan area in the U.S. Freeways are usually no more than 5 miles apart.
In the early '60's, most US metros had plans for similarly dense freeway networks. Back in my college days I found a book about it, with plenty of maps. In most places, it quickly became apparent that it wasn't feasible to build such a network, but in the Twin Cities there were plenty of arterials that could be upgraded to freeways with relatively little cost and community impact, so they went ahead and did it.

Cincinnati also made it further than most places in building their planned secondary freeway network.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #9069
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

So I-2 is news to me, I didn't know they signed it.

How long will it be until the rest of 59 and/or 281 becomes full fledged interstate standard road?

Quote:
Older people usually show up to events like these. Maybe because they have too much time on their hands as these events are usually during business hours. It's not much different in the Netherlands. Every time there is some kind of road event only officials and "gray heads" show up.
Lol

I have to admit, having these types in my family growing up made me into a SSC nerd...

In our house at dinner it would always be "what are they building over there"...

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #9070
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 15 by L.A. Urban Soul, on Flickr

FM 2258 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9071
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
in the Twin Cities there were plenty of arterials that could be upgraded to freeways with relatively little cost and community impact, so they went ahead and did it.
Aha! so that's how come those cities' mapped network of expressways seemed to be the most lavish on the continent.

Does Montana's interstates still allow no speed limit daytime?

Last edited by trainrover; August 15th, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #9072
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

AFAIK Montana has had speed limits for many years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
So I-2 is news to me, I didn't know they signed it.
The I-2 thing is crazy, in April there was no discussion about one outside the fictional highways realm and in July it was signed.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #9073
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Does Montana's interstates still allow no speed limit daytime?
Nope, that was changed in 1998.
"A person . . . shall drive the vehicle . . . at a rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation . . . so as not to unduly or unreasonably endanger the life, limb, property, or other rights of a person entitled to the use of the street or highway."
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #9074
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Well at least they left some space for extra lanes
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #9075
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Really.

Seriously, where is that: rush-hour traffic to, say, Barstow for people who really feel the need for a 100-plus-mile commute, or holiday traffic to or from Vegas?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9076
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
Could well be. I'm about 10 miles south of Wilmington, on the Jersey side. Can see the towers of the Del Memorial Bridge from my back yard. I was born at Pennsylvania Hospital.
I had a kidney stone diagnosed at Pennsylvania Hospital. :-/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #9077
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
or holiday traffic to or from Vegas?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9078
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Nope, that was changed in 1998.

"... Congress was not amused, and neither were many Montana residents. With a little help in potential Federal funding restrictions, speed limits were restored. Montana's maximum speed limit is now 75 MPH on the Interstates ..."
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #9079
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

The "reasonable & prudent" limit for extraurban roads is (was) as such a very good concept!
What was less good is - at least so I read - that it was up to the traffic cop to decide if and when a certain speed is "reasonable & prudent". On freeways they would start issuing tickets at speeds above 140-150km/h. Then one driver in Montana went to court against such a fine and won the case, but in consequence the "reasonable & prudent" speed limit was repealed.

Is there any state reconsidering a "reasonable & prudent" limit?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9080
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-30, Dallas, Texas

The same location of the famous "thunderstorm freeway" photo made by the same photographer.

image hosted on flickr

Dallas Skyline by Justin Terveen, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Rossanezi, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban