daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #9121
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

However, after completion of New Jersey Turnpike widening project there will be about 60-65 miles of double turnpike, from NJT Extension (I-276) up to the Interstate 80 Connection to the George Washington Bridge. I think that the configuration 3+3+3+3 can be counted as a HOV lane.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9122
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A story about toll roads by the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,2661769.story
Across the country, there really today is a renaissance in tolling caused by three trends. One is a growing acceptance of tolling. Second, is the fact that the gas tax is not sustainable and there needs to be other sources of funding to build projects. And I think the other trend causing this renaissance is the advancements in toll technology, particularly the payment of tolls and with electronic toll collection.

(...)

Yes, I agree I have yet to meet a person who loves paying a toll. But I have met many people who enjoy the benefits that tolling brings as far as transportation goes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #9123
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-25, Colorado

Another story about possible toll lanes on I-25 north of Denver. They want to widen I-25 from Longmont to Fort Collins from 4 to 6 lanes. I doubt if tolling is the right way to go here though, it's a relatively cheap project (wide median) and I doubt if toll lanes will work as just the third lane. Tolls should be used to fund expensive new routes or major urban widenings. A simple widening like this should be funded from the general budget.
If you go here, you get into an mindsetting that every improvement becomes tolled and tolls create unwanted traffic patterns. E-470 is not exactly a success story among toll roads.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...den-interstate
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #9124
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-65, Tennessee

The widening of Interstate 65 in central Tennessee will begin soon. The 4 mile segment of I-65 between SR-248 and SR-840 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes. Construction could begin late this year and will be completed by mid-2016. The project cost is $ 46 million, fairly low because the median is wide enough to support the extra lanes.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/23...t-set-to-begin

The project is located in Williamson County, a rapid growing area south of Nashville. Population in this county exploded from 34,000 in 1970 to 193,000 today.
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #9125
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95, Maryland

Rush-hour commuters could pay nearly $5 a day in tolls to travel back and forth on a seven-mile stretch of express toll lanes set to open next year along Interstate 95 east and north of Baltimore, according to proposed pricing approved Thursday by the board of the Maryland Transportation Authority.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...es-toll-plazas

Old September 20th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #9126
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

They've taken a few years to build those. I've seen the construction....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:46 AM   #9127
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The widening of Interstate 65 in central Tennessee will begin soon. The 4 mile segment of I-65 between SR-248 and SR-840 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes. Construction could begin late this year and will be completed by mid-2016. The project cost is $ 46 million, fairly low because the median is wide enough to support the extra lanes.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/23...t-set-to-begin

The project is located in Williamson County, a rapid growing area south of Nashville. Population in this county exploded from 34,000 in 1970 to 193,000 today.
Was wondering if there was a second phase to widen the roadway to SR 840. They recently extended the 8-lane stretch a couple miles south of its previous location, but it goes down to 4 lanes before the next exit.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #9128
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-369, Texarkana, TX

They've been busy designating new Interstate Highways in Texas recently. This is I-369 in Texarkana.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod liked this post
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #9129
sotonsi

What is funny is that I-369 won't use that roadway when complete, instead taking an outer bypass, linking with I-49 to the north of Texarkana. OSM had the routings but not now.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9130
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Big problems in Green Bay, Wisconsin. A pier of the I-43 bridge (Leo Frigo Bridge) has moved and the deck has dipped by 3 feet. It will likely be a long-term closure to repair this.

Old September 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #9131
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

What's the reason? Bad construction/planning, or extraordinary environmental events?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #9132
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I can't imagine what environmental event (other than an earthquake) in late September up there could be worse than their winters.

EDIT: Or massive spring flooding as the snow melts. Could the pier have been weakened in the past and just had it manifest itself now?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #9133
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

90% of bridge failures in Italy are due to floods... I was guessing something like that happened, maybe not now but some weeks ago, that may have loosened the pier...
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9134
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

You sure that the problem in Italy isn't the right lanes being worn down before the rest of the roadway?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9135
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Be serious, please.
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #9136
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Yessir.

Local paper (in Green Bay) has all of one sentence (and a video) on this... and an article last week on deficient bridges statewide.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

g.spinoza liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #9137
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

That support column settled - its foundation suffered a failure of some sort (did it go all the way down to bedrock?).

Yes, it will likely be down until at least late spring. To fast-track repairs (replace the support column and the bridge's sagged spans) would likely entail a mid-winter deck pour - not something that bridge engineers want to do, and especially in a place like the USA's upper Great Lakes region. Yes, the Packers are known for a late season home field weather advantage for a reason (the coldest game in NFL history was played in Green Bay - Cowboys @ Packers on 1967-12-31 - -26C at game time).

Kind of a sad thing here, too, is that WisDOT just completed a two-year project to resurface that bridge's deck.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; September 25th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9138
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Im thinking this failure on I-43 was a result of the recently completed redecking of the bridge. Such as that the physical actions loosened/broke/relocated something at the bottom of the pier?
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #9139
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Are the media there reporting any (serious) theories?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #9140
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

The Press-Gazette now has a full article (with videos, timeline, and interviews with state officials) online: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...nclick_check=1

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban