daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #9141
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

More Interstate 43 bridge pictures:

Photos courtesy of The Green Bay Post-Gazette: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...nclick_check=1

FM 2258 liked this post
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #9142
thun

What's the ide behind this bump?
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #9143
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

Another bridge shut down indefinitely due to structural deficiencies. If this gets severe, we could wind up having to spend a fortune on a replacement, in an era where we have to spend billions of dollars just to get our infrastructure in tiptop shape.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #9144
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I don't know if this is a structural deficiency, or an extraordinary event. The bridge opened to traffic in 1981, most deficient structures are 15+ years older.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #9145
brewerfan386

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't know if this is a structural deficiency, or an extraordinary event. The bridge opened to traffic in 1981, most deficient structures are 15+ years older.
Some are guessing it has to do with how the foundations where laid 30 years ago. The superstructure itself is of a redundant design and except for some minor, normal wear and tear related surface cracks on a pier or two the bridge passed its last round of inspections with flying color.

Here is an interesting post by user "triplemultiplex" over on AARoads about the geology of the area:
Quote:
The bridge spans the mouth of the Fox River; it's an area that's a filled-in estuary. The industrial area under the bridge originally looked like the marshy area around the 41-43 interchange. Locally, it's going to be one of the deepest areas to bedrock. There is also going to be significant clay layers as the lower Fox River was the location of a significant pro-glacial lake until the Green Bay lobe retreated north of Door County. (Outlets for that lake formed the initial valleys for the Kewaunee and Ahnapee Rivers further east, incidentally.)

Get east and west of where this bridge is and bedrock would be quite shallow. The Niagara Escarpment is the most significant geological feature in eastern Wisconsin, for example...
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #9146
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Yes, the structure itself is ok, its either the foundation under the pier or the earth under the foundation that failed or settled more, so far.

Bedrock is estimated to be 140 feet below the surface. When the bridge was built, the metal pilings in the pier and into the ground were driven 100feet, and were "assumed" to have hit bedrock. This was mentioned on local GB, WI news Thursday night. The word assumed was used.
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #9147
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Having lived now in CA, I would say that the roads here are more impressive in photographs and videos (as well as to visitors) than they are in person, or at least persons having to depend on them. The best thing about them is probably the views of the nearby scenery. The road surfaces are busted, probably the worst of any sunbelt state, and comparable to many Northern states with freeze-thaw cycles. There's also a sense that a lot of capacity has been squeezed in that perhaps shouldn't be there. For example, in many places there are minimal shoulders. The entry ramps are also tiny, compared to what I'm used to in the suburban Midwest.

There's also garbage all over the sides of the road here, which you don't see in those videos. Even the nice parts of LA have crap all over the sides of the road.

Finally, in the cities the major expressways seem permanently congested at all hours.

Arizona, overall, probably had the best interstates, IMO. The expressways in Phoenix (as well as elsewhere in the state) were immaculate. I loved the spacious, well thought out design and they were a joy to drive.

Last edited by Paddington; September 28th, 2013 at 04:59 AM.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #9148
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Having lived now in CA, I would say that the roads here are more impressive in photographs and videos (as well as to visitors) than they are in person, or at least persons having to depend on them. The best thing about them is probably the views of the nearby scenery. The road surfaces are busted, probably the worst of any sunbelt state, and comparable to many Northern states with freeze-thaw cycles. There's also a sense that a lot of capacity has been squeezed in that perhaps shouldn't be there. For example, in many places there are minimal shoulders. The entry ramps are also tiny, compared to what I'm used to in the suburban Midwest.

There's also garbage all over the sides of the road here, which you don't see in those videos. Even the nice parts of LA have crap all over the sides of the road.

Finally, in the cities the major expressways seem permanently congested at all hours.

Arizona, overall, probably had the best interstates, IMO. The expressways in Phoenix (as well as elsewhere in the state) were immaculate. I loved the spacious, well thought out design and they were a joy to drive.
I thought Arizona had nice highways too in the warm areas. Not as much in the higher elevations of Flagstaff though. Those highways are so lightly travelled and have little weather variation in most of AZ.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #9149
brewerfan386

The new I-90 Dresbach Bridge project over the Mississippi River between MN & WI near La Crosse, Wisconsin; is well under way. The current bridge is being replaced due to it having a non-redundant design and not meeting modern geometric standards.

Looking towards MN:

New construction with the current bridge in the background:

Both courtesy of the Dresbach Bridge Project Facebook site- https://www.facebook.com/DresbachBridge

Rendering of the new structure:

The project is scheduled to be completed in 2017.

wkiehl101, xXFallenXx liked this post

Last edited by brewerfan386; October 2nd, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #9150
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-410/281 Interchange, San Antonio

image hosted on flickr

Multi Level by pasa47, on Flickr

wkiehl101, geometarkv, n20 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:32 PM   #9151
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

wkiehl101 liked this post
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:09 AM   #9152
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Latest photos of I-22/I-65 interchange construction.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/...5_const_1.html

Also news about the Northern Beltline (I-422)

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/10/...line_to_b.html

wkiehl101 liked this post
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM   #9153
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35E, Dallas - Denton, TX

The groundbreaking ceremony of the $ 1.4 billion I-35E project was held today. The project will widen I-35E by one lane each way and also adds a two-lane reversible toll road in the median. It is built in a way that it can add another 2 toll lanes in the median for a full scenario of 4+2+2+4 lanes.

Render near Lewisville Lake:
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #9154
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Latest photos of I-22/I-65 interchange construction.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/...5_const_1.html

Also news about the Northern Beltline (I-422)

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/10/...line_to_b.html
Just curious...why isn't the eastern end of the northern beltway planned to end with I-20?
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #9155
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkiehl101 View Post
Just curious...why isn't the eastern end of the northern beltway planned to end with I-20?
A section from I-59 near Clay to I-20 near Leeds has been shown in previous plans. I dont know if this segment was dropped.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #9156
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Question:

Which road system in America (USA) has the most number of vehicular lanes??

Is it the I-10 in Texas? (as many as 26 vehicular lanes)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9157
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It depends on whether you count frontage road lanes. Many Houston freeways have frontage roads that go up to 3 or 4 lanes each way. But frontage roads cannot be considered part of the actual freeway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258, brewerfan386 liked this post
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95, Virginia

Construction of the I-95 Express Lanes in suburban Washington.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2708 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2722 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2616 by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2655 by VaDOT, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, wkiehl101, geometarkv, n20 liked this post
Old October 5th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #9159
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They've been busy designating new Interstate Highways in Texas recently. This is I-369 in Texarkana.

Nice! I wonder why they're putting the state name back into the Interstate shield, I thought the new standard was to leave the state name out of the Interstate sign.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9160
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

American roadgeeks (like on AA Roads...) call that - I mean leaving the state name out - "neutering." I noticed some states (Delaware, Tennessee...) neutering their Interstate markers as far back as the 80s. I believe neutering is the recommended standard but lots of states ignore that. I like non-neutered Interstate markers. (Just in my own travels in recent years*: Connecticut and West Virginia seem very consistent non-neuterers, Maine (slightly) and New Jersey less so... you'll have to search long and hard to find a non-neutered marker in Illinois, Ohio, New York....)

*Thanks to my last road trip, since becoming a car-owner again in 2009 (after years living in a downtown high-rise and only driving when I borrowed or rented one) I've driven in every state from Virginia and Kentucky north and from Illinois and Wisconsin east except Vermont. Plus Quebec and Ontario. This is just to say that I'm unfamiliar with the current state of the roads farther south and west.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Paddington liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban