daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #9181
Stuck in Bama
Registered User
 
Stuck in Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,303
Likes (Received): 2772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Nice. But in trying to figure out what roads you were on, I'm stumped: how does anything in the Bay Area have exit numbers above 500??
Maybe US 101?
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #9182
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

It begins in LA so I'd expect exit numbers a bit short of 400 around San Jose. But on reflection, it might be Cal. 1.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9183
Stuck in Bama
Registered User
 
Stuck in Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,303
Likes (Received): 2772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It begins in LA so I'd expect exit numbers a bit short of 400 around San Jose. But on reflection, it might be Cal. 1.
Its CA 1. Its exit numbers are in the 500's in SF
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #9184
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,494
Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Its CA 1. Its exit numbers are in the 500's in SF
It is CA1 but it is almost I-280 as well. I was coming from the south joining short concurrence of CA1 and I-280.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #9185
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,573
Likes (Received): 19366

I-70 New Mississippi Bridge, St. Louis

August photos.

image hosted on flickr

MRB_5218 by missriverbridge_photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MRB_5179 by missriverbridge_photos, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #9186
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,573
Likes (Received): 19366

I-35 San Antonio, TX

http://www.drivefor35.com/

There are more managed lanes on the way for Texas. A study has been launched to improve 20 miles of I-35 between Downtown San Antonio and Schertz. It includes the reconstruction of the I-410 and Loop 1604 interchanges.

The current layout is mostly six lanes between I-37 and I-410 (north), eight lanes between I-410 and Loop 1604 and six lanes north of Loop 1604. They say they will construct the managed lanes within the existing right-of-way, which is quite tight at some locations.

San Antonio is the seventh largest city in the United States with a 2012 population of 1.3 million. It is located in Bexar County, which added almost 400,000 people since 2000. Schertz is located in Guadalupe County, which is growing from a sleepy rural area to a suburban area. It grew by 50,000 people since 2000. Guadalupe County remains very rural, only small parts near San Antonio and New Braunfels are urbanized, apart from the county seat of Seguin.

I wonder if there is a reason most Texas cities are growing to the north. San Antonio has not grown beyond the southern part of I-410, but has grown a good 20 miles north of the northern part of I-410. Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston seem to be following a similar pattern of northward growth.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9187
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,507
Likes (Received): 353

In DFW development pretty much followed the farmland initially vs the more uncontrolled flood plain to the south of Dallas. As developers built onto that cheap, easy to develop farmland, white collar employers went their too. This just kept happening over and over and newer, larger freeways followed suit. Today, there's a huge corporate presence north of Dallas. To the northwest, there's huge railroad and air cargo capacity, so that's where most jobs are now. The only thing that has kept it all from going north is the easy access to downtown Dallas and corporate heavy Irving and DFW airport, large black middle class in the southern suburbs. Now the new inland port in South Dallas may be the driver that can significantly move more population to the south right now. Otherwise, it would probably take some corporate development.

In the bustle of noticing north/south growth, I think east/west growth is often ignored in DFW. You're just now starting to see significant growth to the east of Dallas as northern growth pushes out to far from the airports and core corporate presence. I think freeway infrastructure will follow over the next 20-30 years in that direction before it does to the south. There are already proposals for a new I-45 in Rockwall County, reconstructed I-30 and US 80 and more possible extensions to PGBT.
__________________

Paddington liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #9188
Ingsoc75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
In DFW development pretty much followed the farmland initially vs the more uncontrolled flood plain to the south of Dallas. As developers built onto that cheap, easy to develop farmland, white collar employers went their too. This just kept happening over and over and newer, larger freeways followed suit. Today, there's a huge corporate presence north of Dallas. To the northwest, there's huge railroad and air cargo capacity, so that's where most jobs are now. The only thing that has kept it all from going north is the easy access to downtown Dallas and corporate heavy Irving and DFW airport, large black middle class in the southern suburbs. Now the new inland port in South Dallas may be the driver that can significantly move more population to the south right now. Otherwise, it would probably take some corporate development.

In the bustle of noticing north/south growth, I think east/west growth is often ignored in DFW. You're just now starting to see significant growth to the east of Dallas as northern growth pushes out to far from the airports and core corporate presence. I think freeway infrastructure will follow over the next 20-30 years in that direction before it does to the south. There are already proposals for a new I-45 in Rockwall County, reconstructed I-30 and US 80 and more possible extensions to PGBT.
Is Fort Worth growing at all? I lived there between 2003-2005 and Big D seemed to always get all the attention.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #9189
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,507
Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc75 View Post
Is Fort Worth growing at all? I lived there between 2003-2005 and Big D seemed to always get all the attention.
Fort Worth is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Most of it is suburban development....................to the north, where they've annexed a lot of land. There is some urban development, but nothing like the boom going on in Dallas. Alliance Airport seems to be the driver, though you get lots of spillover from the north of DFW airport corporate employees as well. The freeway development in North Fort Worth has lots of plans including a huge expansion of I-35W and the current loop 820 reconstruction up that way. SH 114 is also being expanded as a freeway through those northern suburbs and north Fort Worth near I-35W. Even so, the metro is becoming more and more the Dallas metro as the northern sprawl monster of the Dallas MSA has already spilled into the old Fort Worth MSA. Just so many jobs in Irving, Plano, Frisco, Richardson area that the whole DFW metro is centering on that North Dallas County/Western Collin County area.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #9190
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder if there is a reason most Texas cities are growing to the north. San Antonio has not grown beyond the southern part of I-410, but has grown a good 20 miles north of the northern part of I-410. Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston seem to be following a similar pattern of northward growth.
Actually Houston's growth is pretty much spread all over the map except for the eastern part however the bulk of the growth is occurring in the western part of the metro towards Katy and Sugar Land.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #9191
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,573
Likes (Received): 19366

I think Fort Worth is the fastest growing city with a population over 500,000. Unlike Dallas it has lots of land available to develop. Fort Worth added 240,000 people since 2000 (38.6% between 2000 and 2010). Growth rates like that are common for counties, but not city propers of large cities. Fort Worth proper even grows faster than Houston proper.

If you divide DFW into west (Fort Worth) and east (Dallas) metro areas, Dallas is clearly larger and faster growing in real terms, but Fort Worth comes from a lower base, and growth is impressive nonetheless. Fort Worth is also growing northward.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9192
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,494
Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Actually Houston's growth is pretty much spread all over the map except for the eastern part however the bulk of the growth is occurring in the western part of the metro towards Katy and Sugar Land.
It might be due to environmental constrains.
There is Galveston Bay and other bodies of water with all its marshes, industrial and oil developments etc to the east and south-east of Houston.
There is also a lot of flat areas there which must be prone to flooding, especially when tropical storms or hurricanes hit.

Comparing to that, areas north and west of Houston look much more inviting. If I was ever moving to Houston that's where I would like to live myself.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #9193
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,573
Likes (Received): 19366

They just constructed the western part of the Grand Parkway (SH 99) in time before it is build-out with subdivisions. Outward growth is now approaching the Grand Parkway (which is the third beltway of Houston). Growth is already occuring west of SH 99 in the Katy area. Still, Harris County has quite some space left to develop in the northwestern section. It could easily fit another million people.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9194
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

In American cities generally, once it's established, for whatever real or silly reason, that one side of town is "fashionable," development will tend to favor that side of town. (No idea why the fashionable side should be north in every major city in Texas.)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Paddington, mrjoekalel liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #9195
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

In Detroit also the North is where most of the sprawl is. The Southern suburbs are seen as undesirable because they are closer to and "downriver" from the heavy industry.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #9196
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,573
Likes (Received): 19366

naming and shaming

List of top toll road violators released

Officials say the top violators, Ronny Williams and Cora Lewis of Pflugerville, owe $236,026.32 for 14,358 unpaid tolls. The next worst offenders according to TxDOT are Mandy and Stephen Dyment of Hutto. Officials say they owe $217, 619.79 for 10,566 unpaid tolls.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/237...#ixzz2i03E6tb9

14,358 unpaid tolls

That's $ 16.45 per unpaid toll. I bet that includes a load of fees and fines as well.
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Interstate275Fla, bozenBDJ liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #9197
Jschmuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 825
Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
List of top toll road violators released

Officials say the top violators, Ronny Williams and Cora Lewis of Pflugerville, owe $236,026.32 for 14,358 unpaid tolls. The next worst offenders according to TxDOT are Mandy and Stephen Dyment of Hutto. Officials say they owe $217, 619.79 for 10,566 unpaid tolls.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/237...#ixzz2i03E6tb9

14,358 unpaid tolls

That's $ 16.45 per unpaid toll. I bet that includes a load of fees and fines as well
Wish it says how many different violators there are.
__________________
MilRockee/Madtown/Green Bay
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #9198
Interstate275Fla
Registered User
 
Interstate275Fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 55
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
List of top toll road violators released

Officials say the top violators, Ronny Williams and Cora Lewis of Pflugerville, owe $236,026.32 for 14,358 unpaid tolls. The next worst offenders according to TxDOT are Mandy and Stephen Dyment of Hutto. Officials say they owe $217, 619.79 for 10,566 unpaid tolls.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/237...#ixzz2i03E6tb9

14,358 unpaid tolls

That's $ 16.45 per unpaid toll. I bet that includes a load of fees and fines as well.
A great idea by the Texas DOT: Name and shame the worst of the worst when it comes to toll violators. I certainly wish the Florida DOT could do the same for toll roads operated by Florida's Turnpike Enterprise and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority (OOCEA) for toll roads in the Orlando area - after all, you got SunPass and E-Pass respectively.

Another thing to consider too is that if you got so many unpaid tolls, especially here in Florida, the toll road authority can have your state's DMV put a stop on your vehicle registration, meaning that you will be unable to renew your license plates when it comes time for renewal. I imagine that these two Texas violators can't renew their license plates until the back tolls are paid for, if Texas puts stops on vehicle registrations for unpaid tolls.
__________________
Be sure to visit my website of all things Interstate 275 in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, Interstate275Florida.com!

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.

Professor L Gee liked this post
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #9199
FM 2258
Registered User
 
FM 2258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,438
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
List of top toll road violators released

Officials say the top violators, Ronny Williams and Cora Lewis of Pflugerville, owe $236,026.32 for 14,358 unpaid tolls. The next worst offenders according to TxDOT are Mandy and Stephen Dyment of Hutto. Officials say they owe $217, 619.79 for 10,566 unpaid tolls.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/237...#ixzz2i03E6tb9

14,358 unpaid tolls

That's $ 16.45 per unpaid toll. I bet that includes a load of fees and fines as well.
The Texas Tollways people suck when it comes to adding on fees and fines to the bill. I borrowed my dad's truck last year, they sent him a notice to pay around $100. The initial toll bill was like $3. He said he did not get the initial pay-by-mail bill which could be a case of not paying attention to mail but after talking to a few people they've also run into the same predicament. It seems like they won't send you the first "$3" yet will wait 5 months and decide to send you the "$100" bill. I won't take a car on the tollway without a tag anymore, the pay-by-mail system ******* sucks.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM   #9200
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
The Texas Tollways people suck when it comes to adding on fees and fines to the bill. I borrowed my dad's truck last year, they sent him a notice to pay around $100. The initial toll bill was like $3. He said he did not get the initial pay-by-mail bill which could be a case of not paying attention to mail but after talking to a few people they've also run into the same predicament. It seems like they won't send you the first "$3" yet will wait 5 months and decide to send you the "$100" bill. I won't take a car on the tollway without a tag anymore, the pay-by-mail system ******* sucks.
This is why I tend to avoid toll roads altogether especially if there is no manned toll booth.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium