daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #9201
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

I only drive rental cars in the US and also don't use those toll highways which are unmanned. Even if there is transponder in the car (only once in Chicago) I never know if I don't end up with some silly fees added to my credit card.

No, thank you very much, I'll stick to free roads.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-670 Kansas City, MO

image hosted on flickr

D5718_CM-12 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #9203
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Illinois speed limits

The speed limits will be raised in the state of Illinois, starting 1/1/14. The speed limit on rural segments of I-88 and I-90 tollways will be increased to 70 miles per hour.

This leaves only Wisconsin as the sole midwestern state with a retarded 65 mph speed limit, though it should be noted the far majority of the rural Illinois Interstates will keep their 65 mph limit for the time being. It's an ISHTA (Illinois State Toll Highway Authority) thing.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #9204
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

70 is a bit of a dragging speed limit as well. I wonder if they're ever going to put it up to 80 in the UK, which most people do anyway.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #9205
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

If you drive across the US you'll find that people very rarely do the posted speed limit. The stupid low speed limits are basically revenue generators, people break them and get pulled over for speeding which increases funds.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9206
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-65 Louisville Bridge

http://kyinbridges.com

A large project in Louisville is the construction of a second I-65 bridge across the Ohio River near downtown Louisville, and a new bridge that will link I-265 in Indiana and Kentucky.

At first, the new bridge seems hugely oversized, there current AADT is about 120,000 vehicles per day and you definitely don't need 12 lanes to handle that kind of traffic (8-10 would've been sufficient). Additionally, the combination of tolls and the construction of an alternate bridge are factors that usually depress traffic volumes, reducing the need for 6 lanes each way. And I-65 has only 2x3 through lanes through Louisville. Also, growth at the Indiana side is substantial, but not very large in real terms (it comes from a low base).

However, there are some considerations. First, there is an interchange immediately south of the bridge. There is no space to reduce lanes before you enter the bridge, hence the bridge needs this width to handle merging traffic anyway, at least for the southern part. There are certain design standards that state the length a roadway segment needs between a merge and lane reduction.

Additionally, the existing John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge from 1963 will not be around for decades. It will likely require replacement in the medium-term future. They could easily replace the bridge by swapping all traffic to the new bridge while still maintaining three lanes each way in the interim period.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101, Penn's Woods, lafreak84 liked this post
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #9207
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New sign for the I-95 / DE-1 interchange near the Christiana Mall in Delaware. It should've been mounted by now (the reconstructed interchange opened two weeks ago).

Newark made me think twice here. It's Newark, Delaware, a nearby small city (and University of Delaware hometown), not Newark, New Jersey, which is also along I-95, but north from here. I'm sure the mentioning of Newark makes more sense in context (i.e. driving there and seeing the whole signage sequence).

image hosted on flickr

wkiehl101, Suburbanist liked this post
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-295, I-76 & NJ-42 interchange

A video about the reconstruction of the I-295 / I-76 / NJ-42 interchange in Bellmawr, New Jersey (just outside Philadelphia).

I like the preferred alternative. It will improve traffic flow while reducing impact on the wetland by removing a long connector road for traffic along I-295 south.

It will also allow a new connection from NJ-42 north to I-295 south and vice versa. This connection is missing today.

keokiracer, wkiehl101, lafreak84 liked this post
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #9209
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Random reactions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://kyinbridges.com

A large project in Louisville is the construction of a second I-65 bridge across the Ohio River near downtown Louisville, and a new bridge that will link I-265 in Indiana and Kentucky.

At first, the new bridge seems hugely oversized, there current AADT is about 120,000 vehicles per day and you definitely don't need 12 lanes to handle that kind of traffic (8-10 would've been sufficient). Additionally, the combination of tolls and the construction of an alternate bridge are factors that usually depress traffic volumes, reducing the need for 6 lanes each way. And I-65 has only 2x3 through lanes through Louisville. Also, growth at the Indiana side is substantial, but not very large in real terms (it comes from a low base).

However, there are some considerations. First, there is an interchange immediately south of the bridge. There is no space to reduce lanes before you enter the bridge, hence the bridge needs this width to handle merging traffic anyway, at least for the southern part. There are certain design standards that state the length a roadway segment needs between a merge and lane reduction.

Additionally, the existing John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge from 1963 will not be around for decades. It will likely require replacement in the medium-term future. They could easily replace the bridge by swapping all traffic to the new bridge while still maintaining three lanes each way in the interim period.

AADT is one thing, but how much of that comes in rush hours? Downtown Louisville (and that 64/65/71 interchange) and there is suburban development and small cities on the Indiana side... 265 wouldn't help with that, I'd think; it would mostly be relevant to people doing things like Evansville-to-Cincinnati or Indianapolis-to-Lexington.

Quote:
New sign for the I-95 / DE-1 interchange near the Christiana Mall in Delaware. It should've been mounted by now (the reconstructed interchange opened two weeks ago).

Newark made me think twice here. It's Newark, Delaware, a nearby small city (and University of Delaware hometown), not Newark, New Jersey, which is also along I-95, but north from here. I'm sure the mentioning of Newark makes more sense in context (i.e. driving there and seeing the whole signage sequence).

image hosted on flickr
Little-known fact: the two Newarks are pronounced differently. The New Jersey one like Noo'erk (some old-timers even condense it to a single syllable - sort of "Nerk"), the Delaware one like New Ark. Stress still on the "New," but "Ark" pronounced with a full A sound.

As far as that sign's concerned, Newark N.J.'s the other direction and over 100 miles away. That "Newark/Baltimore" southbound tends to be juxtaposed with "Wilmington/Philadelphia" going the other way.

Quote:
A video about the reconstruction of the I-295 / I-76 / NJ-42 interchange in Bellmawr, New Jersey (just outside Philadelphia).

I like the preferred alternative. It will improve traffic flow while reducing impact on the wetland by removing a long connector road for traffic along I-295 south.

It will also allow a new connection from NJ-42 north to I-295 south and vice versa. This connection is missing today.

High time that connection was there, but when are the freeways in that area going to connect to the New Jersey Turnpike (which actually crosses 42 about 2 miles or less south of there)?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM   #9210
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Re ChrisZ and PennsWoods - as another localite, it's nice to see that I-95/DE 7 interchange finally getting off the ground, so to speak. That areas been chewed up for four or five years now. And thank goodness for a I-295NB access to the N-S Freeway and ACE to Atlantic City finally. That's another cocked-up area that's been under construction for a decade..

Down here in Salem County, we're 50 miles from anywhere, and it's a real pain to try to get to the Jersey shore - anyone who takes Rt 40 all the way is out of their mind, and until now, there's not been any way at all to get to the AC Expressway.

Last edited by JimInJersey; November 2nd, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9211
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

That whole Christiana area is a nightmare, I really hope when this is finally all done, things ease up a bit.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:34 PM   #9212
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I only drive rental cars in the US and also don't use those toll highways which are unmanned. Even if there is transponder in the car (only once in Chicago) I never know if I don't end up with some silly fees added to my credit card.
When I went to Chicago a few years ago, I accidentally went under one of those e-tolls and never got charged. I think it was because I was from a state that was far (Connecticut). Meanwhile when I accidentally took the 407 ETR just outside Toronto, I got a letter in the mail a few weeks later. I guess Ontario "recognizes" my plate whereas IL did not.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #9213
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Looks kind of Canadian.

http://www.thekingshighway.ca/PHOTOS/hwy401-1026_lg.jpg

Not a fan of the upward arrows btw.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9214
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Some of my shots of the interstate 15 in Utah

I didn't know that Utah raised speed limit to 80mph. I thought that Texas was the only one. Great idea, on this long stretches of the interstates even 80 seems like snail's pace.
Is there 80mph limit in any other states? Any plans of introducing it?
Dakotas or western Kansas or Nebraska come to mind as places where it could be safely done.

Sorry a bit blurred but I wanted to show the sign.

In the US signs like this one should stand every half a mile, preferably with flashing pink neon lights to catch the driver's attention

Small acident ahead

I love those big shiny tankers
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM   #9215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice Utah has had 80 mph limits for a while now (perhaps even preceding Texas, I'm not sure) and they are in the process of rolling out more sections with 80 mph, especially on I-15 and I-80 (it's not planned on I-70 as far as I am aware).
Old November 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #9216
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Some of my shots of the interstate 15 in Utah. I didn't know that Utah raised speed limit to 80mph. I thought that Texas was the only one. Great idea, on this long stretches of the interstates even 80 seems like snail's pace. Is there 80mph limit in any other states? Any plans of introducing it? Dakotas or western Kansas or Nebraska come to mind as places where it could be safely done.
Haven't driven them lately but I think parts of rural Montana, Nevada and Texas might allow 80.

I took some along I-15 in Utah last summer, between SLC and Salina.

image hosted on flickr

Nephi & I-15 South-11 by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

Brush Fire in the foothills
image hosted on flickr

Nephi & I-15 South-19 by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nephi & I-15 South-31 by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

suburbicide, lafreak84, Lum Lumi liked this post
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #9217
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Neat scheme of Los Angeles freeways

I think this is a very interesting graphic scheme of all freeways in Los Angeles area

It is a large file but pointless if compressed

Old November 9th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #9218
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Blurriness is entirely appropriate for this photo:

geogregor, melvinver liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #9219
jsfox

Likes (Received): 1

Is anyone aware of information comparing efficiency of US and EU motorways? I would assume that EU are considerably more efficient but have been unable to find any studies or data.

Thanks,
jsfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #9220
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfox View Post
Is anyone aware of information comparing efficiency of US and EU motorways? I would assume that EU are considerably more efficient but have been unable to find any studies or data.

Thanks,
That's a bit of a contraband subject in this section of SSC I'm afraid. A thread dedicated to EU v USA highways has recently been shut down as this subject has been deemed unhelpful in bilateral relationships between our two great continents.

In plain English: my dick is bigger than yours themes are strongly discouraged.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban