daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9281
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

I have no sense of what these are like comparted to other cities, but the low counts for the main downtown streets really stand out. Almost as if all those people on the freeway loop are just passing through. (Or going right into parking garages on the river front, or into the tunnel to Windsor...)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #9282
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

Detroit's traffic volumes are relatively low for an urban area of 4.3 million people. It has a decent freeway network. I think its current network would be undersized if the city proper still had those 1.8 million people. Detroit also scores very good on congestion, the Travel Time Index is only 14%, which makes Detroit the 49th most congested urban area in the "Americas" (mostly U.S., Canada and a few Latin-American cities). For example, similar sized Montréal is the 12th most congested urban area and Seattle is 7th and Atlanta 23rd.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #9283
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,525
Likes (Received): 21227

I-95/I-495 interchange in NEw Jersey, as mapped by directional GPS conversion.

Not useful for anything, but visually neat nonetheless


Original source
PResenting article
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #9284
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

It's not actually I-495 there, but NJ 495, and that's been the case for a couple of decades.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #9285
Tom 958
Registered User
 
Tom 958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: near Atlanta
Posts: 786
Likes (Received): 163

What's this ramp? It looks like a means of causing head-on collisions, and OMG, A BUS IS TAKING IT!!!
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #9286
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

I can't tell where your concern is. But there is a bus terminal - "Port Authority," the locals call it - right at the Manhattan end of the Lincoln Tunnel. I know there are bus-only ramps connecting it to the tunnel...don't know how far out the busway begins/ends. Perhaps it changes direction with traffic flow - inbound in the mornings, out in the evenings?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #9287
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17033

In the Morning from 5am to 10am one westbound lane is converted into an Eastbound Bus Only lane....which is then funneled into the Center Tube. Theres some talk about having it from 4pm to 7pm to ease up Port Authority Bus Terminal Congestion , it would allow for more buses to enter the city at a faster rate.
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #9288
Tom 958
Registered User
 
Tom 958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: near Atlanta
Posts: 786
Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
In the Morning from 5am to 10am one westbound lane is converted into an Eastbound Bus Only lane....which is then funneled into the Center Tube. Theres some talk about having it from 4pm to 7pm to ease up Port Authority Bus Terminal Congestion , it would allow for more buses to enter the city at a faster rate.
OK, now I see. Thanks!
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #9289
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer
 
weava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri/Ozarks/KC
Posts: 1,754
Likes (Received): 1980

US 60 & US 65 will be renamed I-244 to give Springfield, MO a interstate loop if officials get their way. It will be the 4th city in Missouri with an interstate loop.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...sey=nav%7Chead
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9290
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

I-10 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX

Traffic on I-10 in West Houston has grown to become the busiest stretch of freeway in Houston in 2012. The AADT east of the Beltway 8 interchange has exploded to 360,000 vehicles per day. Traffic grew by 100,000 vehicles in just 5 years. If current trends continue, it will become the busiest freeway in the U.S. in a year or two, overtaking I-405 near Long Beach, CA.

__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258, geometarkv, n20 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #9291
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

I-540 Raleigh, NC

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=9342386

Here's a proposal that will definitely not be popular, tolling existing I-540 around Raleigh, North Carolina. This would create full toll loop around the capital.

Apparently the NC-540 toll road isn't doing so hot. But then again, you build a road to last for decades, so people shouldn't expect a new fringe area road to fill up within a year. Especially toll roads have a long "ramp up" period. The problem with toll roads is that they need to service their debts, so they are not happy with a slow start.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #9292
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Traffic on I-10 in West Houston has grown to become the busiest stretch of freeway in Houston in 2012. The AADT east of the Beltway 8 interchange has exploded to 360,000 vehicles per day. Traffic grew by 100,000 vehicles in just 5 years. If current trends continue, it will become the busiest freeway in the U.S. in a year or two, overtaking I-405 near Long Beach, CA.
Next thing you know, TxDot will expand I-10 even further to 40 lanes each way.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:37 AM   #9293
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity
 
Cal_Escapee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Francisco/Tucson
Posts: 3,690
Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
No more I-375? Detroit to study removing freeway in favor of walkable surface street
San Francisco did it. We went from this:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_480


http://www.cnu.org/highways/sfembarcadero

to

__________________
The SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP is real.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:33 AM   #9294
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,525
Likes (Received): 21227

I-375 performs a different whole in Detroit than the Embarcadero did in S.F. before it was torn down. Had the Embarcadero connected with the Golden Gate, it would have never been torn down.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:34 AM   #9295
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity
 
Cal_Escapee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Francisco/Tucson
Posts: 3,690
Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I-375 performs a different whole in Detroit than the Embarcadero did in S.F. before it was torn down. Had the Embarcadero connected with the Golden Gate, it would have never been torn down.
It was supposed to when designed. They never built the part that would have (essentially, the same public outrage that caused it to be torn down stopped it from being completed):


http://www.cahighways.org/maps-sf-fwy.html
__________________
The SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP is real.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9296
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I-375 performs a different whole in Detroit than the Embarcadero did in S.F. before it was torn down. Had the Embarcadero connected with the Golden Gate, it would have never been torn down.
I thought the '89 earthquake necessitated tearing it down?

EDIT: So that the question then became whether to rebuild it.
I realize, of course, that to some people here an urban waterfront is just tragically incomplete without a double-decker freeway. Just like the Acropolis, St. Peter's or even the Empire State Building are by definition inferior to your neighborhood WalMart.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 1st, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #9297
Tom 958
Registered User
 
Tom 958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: near Atlanta
Posts: 786
Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=9342386

Here's a proposal that will definitely not be popular, tolling existing I-540 around Raleigh, North Carolina. This would create full toll loop around the capital.

Apparently the NC-540 toll road isn't doing so hot. But then again, you build a road to last for decades, so people shouldn't expect a new fringe area road to fill up within a year. Especially toll roads have a long "ramp up" period. The problem with toll roads is that they need to service their debts, so they are not happy with a slow start.
I think that North Carolina waited too long to start trying to do toll roads. IMO, it's better to start early and build projects across the state, using revenues from earlier projects to support later ones, as Oklahoma and Florida did. Admittedly, it's hard to do that without cash cows like the Turner and Will Rogers Turnpikes in OK and Florida's Turnpike as a revenue base.

At one point there was a proposal to build the Charlotte beltway as a toll road, but even had that happened there would've surely been resentment over using revenues from Charlotte to build projects in Raleigh.

Or, they could (gasp) increase the gas tax to provide enough revenues. What a concept.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9298
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

Detroit is not San Francisco. Land is not at a premium in Detroit.

The majority of Detroit's businesses (whose employees pay the city income tax that keeps what's left of Detroit going) have long ago fled to the suburbs (which are better places to live/work/do business). Detroit has scores of suburban office parks and even high rise clusters like in Southfield, Troy, and Dearborn for this very reason. In bankruptcy, GM wanted to consolidate at their sprawling suburban Warren Tech Center, but Obama himself put the kibosh on that. I-375 is a necessary part of Detroit's downtown expressway network. ******* over suburban commuters will achieve nothing for Detroit.

The Embarcadero blocked San Francisco's downtown from the waterfront. There was a major desire to remove it. I-375 forms a defense between Detroit's relatively safe downtown and some rather unsafe ghettos just to the East of it.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:46 PM   #9299
Yuri S Andrade
Registered User
 
Yuri S Andrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 15,355
Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Downtown Detroit traffic data. The segment to be demolished (actual plan or wishful thinking?) carries 18 800 vehicles per day.

It's surprisingly heavy the traffic in inner city freeway complex.

About the demolition, they plan to build a tunnel, right? It's weird how traffic is much less in this section compared to the others on the loop. Why's that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I realize, of course, that to some people here an urban waterfront is just tragically incomplete without a double-decker freeway. Just like the Acropolis, St. Peter's or even the Empire State Building are by definition inferior to your neighborhood WalMart.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9300
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Detroit is not San Francisco. Land is not at a premium in Detroit.

The majority of Detroit's businesses (whose employees pay the city income tax that keeps what's left of Detroit going) have long ago fled to the suburbs (which are better places to live/work/do business). Detroit has scores of suburban office parks and even high rise clusters like in Southfield, Troy, and Dearborn for this very reason. In bankruptcy, GM wanted to consolidate at their sprawling suburban Warren Tech Center, but Obama himself put the kibosh on that. I-375 is a necessary part of Detroit's downtown expressway network. ******* over suburban commuters will achieve nothing for Detroit.

The Embarcadero blocked San Francisco's downtown from the waterfront. There was a major desire to remove it. I-375 forms a defense between Detroit's relatively safe downtown and some rather unsafe ghettos just to the East of it.
Safe or not, how much is actually going on in downtown Detroit? The impression one gets from the media out in the rest of the country is of vacant skyscrapers and empty sidewalks... and the traffic counts, as I've already remarked, seem to bear that out.

DISCLAIMER: That's a sincere question.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium