daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #9381
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

The Rhode Island DOT went a little Art Deco with the design of the recently completed Pawtucket River Bridge.

http://www.dot.ri.gov/construction/bridge550/

http://www.pawtucketfoundation.org/N...ge-Sept-7.aspx

http://ncarchitects.com/portfolio/it...-pawtucket-ri/
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)

Zack Fair, devo, verreme, jobecob liked this post
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #9382
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Normally I think even slightly misaligned precast panels look crappy, but the dramatic lighting makes these look good. Clever!

suburbicide, verreme liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #9383
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Hey, watch this!

The I-43 Fox River bridge in Green Bay, WI-- the one that settled so badly-- is to reopen today. Wow!

It was closed on September 25, which happens to be my birthday. I'm amazed they got it repaired so quickly.

Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #9384
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Just in time for what the media are warning will be Ice Bowl II.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #9385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

San Antonio, TX

TxDOT, San Antonio Transportation Leaders Unveil Plan for More Than $800 Million to Fund Major Road Projects

Noting San Antonio drivers waste more than 40 million hours annually sitting in traffic on some regional roadways, the Texas Department of Transportation, the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority, VIA Metropolitan Transit, city of San Antonio and Bexar County leaders today unveiled a plan to allocate more than $800 million to fund expansions of I-10, US 281 and Loop 1604.

“As the seventh largest city in the United States, San Antonio continues to grow at a pace that is expected to see its population number more than 3 million people by 2040,” said Texas Transportation Commission Chairman Ted Houghton. “The collaborative infrastructure projects we’re announcing today will help relieve congestion and keep San Antonio drivers and the region’s economy moving in a way that improves business, enhances the quality of life and decreases the number of hours lost sitting in traffic. We’re pleased to partner with these regional leaders as they continue to create a quality of life in this region that makes it such a desirable place to call home and do business.”

The projects include a variety of non-tolled and tolled (managed) lanes, connectors and improvements to existing lanes. Specifically, the projects will entail:

* I-10 – addition of two managed lanes in each direction north of Loop 1604 and tolled connector ramps at the interchange at Loop 1604
* US 281 – expansion from Loop 1604 north to Stone Oak Boulevard to a four-lane, non-tolled expressway (two main lanes in each direction with frontage roads) with two tolled managed lanes (one in each direction) and non-tolled connector ramps at the Loop 1604 interchange; and expansion from Stone Oak Boulevard to Bexar/Comal county line to a four-lane tolled expressway with frontage roads
* Loop 1604 – expansion to a four-lane, non-tolled expressway (two lanes each direction with frontage roads) from SH 151 to US 90

“This is an important day for all San Antonio and Bexar County resident as these major projects will improve mobility for decades to come,” said Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff. “We are happy to partner with TxDOT and others to bring these critical projects to fruition.”

“This agreement represents a major breakthrough in alleviating traffic congestion throughout the region,” said Mayor Julian Castro, city of San Antonio. “With our population expected to grow by more than 1 million people over the next 25 years, we have to work together creatively to manage the growth.”

Construction on all projects is expected to start by early 2015.
Press release: http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-.../077-2013.html

A little map I sketched:
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #9386
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've posted in another section of SSC some pictures that I shot in 2009 when I traveled to USA, so I've decided to post them also here.

The Circle Interchange, Chicago, seen from 99th floor of Sears (Willis) Tower:

Sears (Willis) Tower seen from I-90 and I-94 highway:

Roadworks area. The signs are state very clear what happens if you hit a worker:

Another interstate highway in Illinois:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #9387
bogdymol
bogdymod

Maybe one of the 'coolest' highway pictures I took so far: I-95 highway close to Fort Lauderdale (FL) airport:

Some more pics of I-95 in Florida:

Recommended soundtrack for the next picture

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

keokiracer, lafreak84, verreme, wkiehl101 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #9388
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Road-related political scandal of the day: http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...rt_maj-story-1

Serious question: The Philadelphia Inquirer (no free link) describes the GW as "the busiest bridge in the world." Is that true?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #9389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Serious question: The Philadelphia Inquirer (no free link) describes the GW as "the busiest bridge in the world." Is that true?
It's about 280,000 vehicles per day. It used to be a tad busier, close to 300,000 vehicles per day. The San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge carries similar volumes (but on fewer lanes).

The Driscoll Bridge + Edison Bridge in New Jersey (these two are right next to each other) carry a combined 323,000 vehicles per day.

Of course, it depends on what you count as a bridge. The Highway 401 in North York, Toronto, has a valley viaduct that carries around 400,000 vehicles per day.
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #9390
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I found out about this massive $ 600 million overhaul of I-435 and adjoining sections in Lenexa and Overland Park, two southern suburbs of Kansas City on the Kansas side.

I-435 will be widened substantially and the K-10 / I-35 / I-435 interchange will be reconstructed.

The plans are as follows;

* widen I-435 mainline to 2x5 lanes west of I-35
* construct a K-10 to I-35 bypass. Traffic from K-10 to I-35 never gets on I-435 mainline
* construct a basketweave west of the I-435 / US 69 interchange
* widen I-435 mainline to 2x6 lanes east of I-35
* widen K-10 to 2x3 lanes west of I-435

I-435 cross section: 18 lanes between K-10 and I-35.

I-435 cross section: 12 lanes east of I-35

overall project:
The constructor was selected for this project on 10/1/14.

project website: http://jocogateway.com
KDOT Selects Design-Build Team for JOCO Gateway Project

Congestion relief for the Johnson County Gateway: I-435/I-35/K-10 Interchange is one step closer today as the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) has selected Gateway Interchange Constructors (GIC) to complete the Phase 2 Design- Build portion of the Gateway Project. In 2010, as part the T-WORKS Transportation Program, KDOT identified the Johnson County Gateway: I-435/I-35/K-10 Interchange Phase 2 Project as the state’s first major Design-Build Project in order to accelerate the delivery of these important improvements.

GIC is a joint venture led by Kansas City, Mo. based Clarkson Construction Company. They are partnered with Kiewit Infrastructure Co. who has national design- build experience on large scale interchange projects. Additional key members of the team include local design firms HDR Engineering, Inc. and George Butler Associates, Inc.

“KDOT received three quality proposals making the evaluation and selection process exciting and challenging,” said KDOT Project Director Burt Morey.

GIC received the highest score of the three proposing teams. “GIC exceeded our expectations with the improvements they are able to build and the time it will take them to do it,” said Morey. “Their approach will allow us to improve many of the existing issues drivers see today.”

The budget for Phase 2 of the Johnson County Gateway is $288 million, which includes a $3 million schedule incentive GIC accepted to accelerate the construction by seven months to complete work by December 31, 2016. The budget includes T- WORKS construction funding, additional funding from the cities of Lenexa and Olathe, and funding for design and engineering work.

KDOT will spend the next few weeks compiling the contract for GIC. “We anticipate construction starting in late spring 2014. In the coming weeks and months we will be making presentations to business and civic groups around the area and will hold a public open house this spring to rollout the construction schedule and potential traffic impacts.
Press release: http://jocogateway.com/kdot-selects-...teway-project/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

lafreak84, Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #9391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate H1 in Hawaii

image hosted on flickr

Contra Flow Hawaii Traffic Cover by Civil Beat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Contra Flow Hawaii Traffic 5 by Civil Beat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Contra Flow Hawaii Traffic 4 by Civil Beat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Contra Flow Hawaii Traffic 3 by Civil Beat, on Flickr
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #9392
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

this is insane!
what is the aadt on this section? Huge and congested freeways don't come to your mind first when you think of Hawaii and honolulu ;-)
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #9393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interestingly, Honolulu is one of the most congested cities in the United States, likely in the top 5. It basically has one freeway and a relatively high population density, which increases congestion (more vehicle miles per square mile).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258 liked this post
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #9394
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

And the topography is such that I'm guessing there aren't lots of east-west routes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #9395
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 236

Never thought Honolulu was so congested, impressive
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #9396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fort Worth

I-30 / I-35W interchange in Fort Worth, Texas.

image hosted on flickr

Autopista North Tarrant Express. Texas, Estados Unidos. Concesión y construcción by Ferrovial, on Flickr

Suburbanist liked this post
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #9397
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

ALDOT plans on closing the I-20/59 downtown bridges in 2016 for 16-18 months. Bridges will be rebuilt wider and higher at a cost of $362 million dollars.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/2446512...ampaign=buffer
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9398
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector, Atlanta

336,000 vehicles per day.

image hosted on flickr

The Downtown Connector by ironchapman, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Atlanta Skyline from the 17th Street Bridge by seanmorgan, on Flickr

Suburbanist, EddieGarcia, Mr. Pollo liked this post
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #9399
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I-70 Colorado

An interesting video of 160 miles of I-70 timelapse driving west of Denver

FM 2258 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:56 AM   #9400
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
ALDOT plans on closing the I-20/59 downtown bridges in 2016 for 16-18 months. Bridges will be rebuilt wider and higher at a cost of $362 million dollars.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/2446512...ampaign=buffer
I thought about replacing the I-20/I-59 bridges with a tunnel for some time, but by the looks of the report, it apparently was going to take too much time and money. Moving the I-20/I-59 corridor to the Finley Boulevard corridor was also considered. Now it turns out that the solution is the total replacement of the bridges with a larger version of them within two years.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban