daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2014, 10:06 AM   #9401
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

A video of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) which was one of the first controlled access highways/interstates to be built in the US.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:51 PM   #9402
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Judge rules against the environmental group Black Warrior Riverkeepers, giving the go ahead for construction of the first segment of the Northern Beltline. (I-422) First segment is 1.8 miles between Alabama 75 and Alabama 79 Northeast of Birmingham. Construction is expected to begin by this summer.

http://northernbeltline.org/news/fed...hern-beltline/
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:04 AM   #9403
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

I-65 North from mile marker 250 to mile marker 266.

wkiehl101, EdmundX liked this post
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 03:08 AM   #9404
emyrr3096

Likes (Received): 519

here's the right thread to post this LOL

I-75(US-23) & I-69, Michigan.

the road condition in both of these Interstate for me still in good condition. the speed limit is 70mph and 60mph for truck. run back and forward made vice versa road trip around 300miles for me as a foreigner it's kinda crazy but here I'am in United States

snow and ice not really bothered by the way. kinda funny both of east / west bound of I-69 & I-96 and south / north bound of I-75(US-23) fewer traffic after 8pm

FM 2258 liked this post
emyrr3096 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #9405
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
I-65 North from mile marker 250 to mile marker 266.
Malfunction Junction doesn't look like it would be so bad were it not in such a confined space...

Last edited by wkiehl101; January 24th, 2014 at 03:01 AM.
wkiehl101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:06 PM   #9406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-69 Mississippi River Bridge

The location of the planned I-69 Mississippi River Bridge is just north of Arkansas City, Arkansas.

The projected volume is only 4,400 vehicles per day if only this segment would be constructed, but 20,500 vehicles per day if the I-69 corridor would be completed by 2030.

I'm not really convinced about the need of I-69 between Shreveport and Memphis. The route is nearly identical in length to I-49/30/40 via Little Rock. In addition, the I-69 route will not serve any towns bigger than El Dorado, AR and Clarksdale, MS, both of which have a population near 20,000.

It makes more sense for Arkansas to construct I-49 between Texarkana and Fort Smith. There are no good freeway alternatives for New Orleans / Shreveport - Kansas City, while I-69 will be redundant.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM   #9407
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-29/80 Council Bluffs, IA

A major $ 2 billion project is ongoing in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It will improve I-29 and I-80 around the city. The interchanges between I-29, I-80 and I-480 will be rebuild and the I-29/80 concurrency will be widened to a dual-dual system with 12 lanes to separate through traffic from local and I-29 traffic. It's a multi-phase project that will run into the 2020s

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101, foxmulder liked this post
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9408
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Front page of today's Philadelphia Inquirer (philly.com, but I think you need to be a subscriber) has an article about the Pennsylvania Turnpike/I-95 connection. Key info: the movements from 95 northbound to the Turnpike eastbound and vice versa - the movements that will finally make a continuous I-95 - are expected to be doable in 2018.

I'll read it more carefully later; just picked up the office copy of the paper.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #9409
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Los Angeles

image hosted on flickr

Freeway: Modern Temple, Los Angeles (completed 1993) by Eric Lassiter, on Flickr
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #9410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-215 San Bernardino, CA

Caltrans today announced the completion of a “major overhaul” of Interstate 215, which includes 15 new bridges, four new lanes, two flyovers and the reconstruction of 34 ramps along the 7.5 mile route.

The project included construction of new general use and carpool lanes in both directions of I-215 from I-10 to SR-210 and an auxiliary lane from SR-210 to just south of University Parkway. Connector ramps between I-215 and SR-210 were also added to improve mobility between freeways. Crews also built 15 new bridges and two flyovers and reconstructed 34 ramps. Artistic features on retaining walls reflect the San Bernardino Mountains, the region’s railroad history, and natural springs have also been added along the roadway.

This four-phase project was a close partnership between SANBAG (San Bernardino Associated Governments), Caltrans, the city of San Bernardino, and the Federal Highway Administration. The seven-year, $647 million project will reduce travel times and increase safety along one of the region’s major transit corridors. This project also created and supported thousands of jobs in the San Bernardino area.
press release

This was a major widening project, and one of the few major widening projects in Southern California to include a new free general purpose lane. The Interstate 215 has been widened from six to ten lanes.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #9411
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
never tired of looking at this

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #9412
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-5, Seattle

Interstate 5 in Seattle.
image hosted on flickr

Seattle by RickrPhoto, on Flickr
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #9413
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-285, Atlanta, GA

Yesterday's chaos.

image hosted on flickr

Traffic is snarled along the I-285 perimeter north of the metro area after a winter snow storm on Jan. 29 in Atlanta. Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said early Wednesday that the National Guard was sending military Humvees onto Atlanta's snarled freeway system by Q8India, on Flickr
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #9414
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Despite all that's been written about yesterday's debacle, I don't think anything could've been done to prevent it except going into panic mode based on the rather benign-sounding weather forecast.

I wish I could find that .gif of Navigator traffic reports that showed the freeway system going from 100% green to 99% red between 11:57am and 1:15pm.

Myself, I really lucked out-- I was sick as dog Tuesday morning. I went into work because there are certain things at work that might have needed to have been done and that only I could do. But I ended up sitting in my truck coughing and sleeping until my boss sent me home at 10:30 or so. I got home before the snow hit. He left at noon and didn't make it home until 11:15pm. It took him four hours just to get from Brookhaven to I-285.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #9415
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
I wish I could find that .gif of Navigator traffic reports that showed the freeway system going from 100% green to 99% red between 11:57am and 1:15pm.
I've got a video (start at 0:40)
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:43 PM   #9416
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Despite all that's been written about yesterday's debacle, I don't think anything could've been done to prevent it except going into panic mode based on the rather benign-sounding weather forecast.

Myself, I really lucked out-- I was sick as dog Tuesday morning. I went into work because there are certain things at work that might have needed to have been done and that only I could do. But I ended up sitting in my truck coughing and sleeping until my boss sent me home at 10:30 or so. I got home before the snow hit. He left at noon and didn't make it home until 11:15pm. It took him four hours just to get from Brookhaven to I-285.
Good to have input from a local.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:34 PM   #9417
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Don't they use salt for avoiding such kind of collapses?

g.spinoza liked this post
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:46 PM   #9418
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

1) I've heard (from the guy who manages the building I work in) that salt is ineffective if it's too cold (below 20F, about -7C). It was that cold in Atlanta that day.

2) Southern jurisdictions don't get a lot of this sort of thing so don't necessarily have a big supply of things like salt or the budget to buy it. (I don't mean to pick on the English here, but similar or smaller amounts of snow have been known to cause similar chaos there and even shut down Heathrow.... And the "we don't have enough snowplows because we don't need them" argument is the usual justification you'll hear from them. It even came up on Top Gear a couple of winters ago.)

3) The storm started in the middle of the day, and the roads were full of people who'd just been let out of work because of it or who were trying to get to their kids' schools because they'd been closed.... Can't plow or salt a road that's full of traffic. (Same thing happened here in Philadelphia, although with much more snow, a couple of weeks ago. We were expecting snow, but not the 14 inches/35 cm we got, so everyone left work at noon... we had a nasty, all-afternoon rush hour and the plows couldn't do much until the traffic had cleared.)

All that said, every meteorologist on TV here - and they normally won't weigh in on political debates - is saying that if the responsible officials had been paying attention, the weather forecasts turned bad in ample time for them to at least order people off the roads and order the schools closed from the beginning of the day.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 31st, 2014, 05:01 PM   #9419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Snow plows

image hosted on flickr

IDOT Snow Plows by Illinois Department of Transportation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7438 by VaDOT, on Flickr
Old January 31st, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9420
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
1) I've heard (from the guy who manages the building I work in) that salt is ineffective if it's too cold (below 20F, about -7C). It was that cold in Atlanta that day.

2) Southern jurisdictions don't get a lot of this sort of thing so don't necessarily have a big supply of things like salt or the budget to buy it. (I don't mean to pick on the English here, but similar or smaller amounts of snow have been known to cause similar chaos there and even shut down Heathrow.... And the "we don't have enough snowplows because we don't need them" argument is the usual justification you'll hear from them. It even came up on Top Gear a couple of winters ago.)

3) The storm started in the middle of the day, and the roads were full of people who'd just been let out of work because of it or who were trying to get to their kids' schools because they'd been closed.... Can't plow or salt a road that's full of traffic. (Same thing happened here in Philadelphia, although with much more snow, a couple of weeks ago. We were expecting snow, but not the 14 inches/35 cm we got, so everyone left work at noon... we had a nasty, all-afternoon rush hour and the plows couldn't do much until the traffic had cleared.)

All that said, every meteorologist on TV here - and they normally won't weigh in on political debates - is saying that if the responsible officials had been paying attention, the weather forecasts turned bad in ample time for them to at least order people off the roads and order the schools closed from the beginning of the day.
Of course the collapse was unavoidable but I'm more worried about the time it took to solve it. But maybe it has a lot to do with the massive use of cars in such conditions...
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban