daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2014, 11:36 PM   #9481
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The population of the United States has doubled since the original Interstate Highway plans were made in the mid-1950s. It's rather notable that no significant revision of the plan has been made. Most later Interstate projects were state-pushed projects, instead of a national reassessment of the Interstate Highway system.

I can think of a few corridors that would make sense as a federal funded Interstate Highway in the character of the original 1956 plan, for example;

* Phoenix - Las Vegas
* Houston - Austin
* Bakersfield - Sacramento (CA-99)
* New Orleans - Kansas City
* Meridian - Columbus - Macon
* Dallas - Tulsa - Kansas City
* San Diego - Phoenix (I-8/10 connector)
* Raleigh - Norfolk
* Norfolk - Philadelphia
* Charlotte - Wilmington
* Houston - Brownsville
* Chicago - Kansas City
* Indianapolis - Grand Rapids

Most of these places are located in the south and southwest, where a large proportion of growth took place since 1960.
Some of those corridors have already been identified by ISTEA. Others, like Houston to Austin, should be.

I've seen random proposals for a route between Norfolk and Philadelphia. Some have called it Interstate 101. Virginia studied it but scrapped the idea.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:01 AM   #9482
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There are already two Interstate corridors (80-then-76 from Cleveland, just-plain-76 from Akron) connecting the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area to Pittsburgh, so you're really talking about another one just for Canton/Pittsburgh traffic. Upgrading US 30 ought to be enough.

Having personally been on US 30 in the suggested area , It is not feasible to upgrade it at all. In the area between those two cities you have houses, farms, and town such as Minerva right on the route. Not only that the terrain is bad enough. It would take massive terraforming efforts, and destruction of homes,etc. to have that project completed, and to be honest there would be masses boycotting against it.

Interesting situation all around, that route is much need in my opinion though.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:16 AM   #9483
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Norfolk - Philadelphia is interesting, I guess mostly follow US-13... I-95 north of Richmond is really heavily loaded.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:08 AM   #9484
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

A missing link is Trinidad (I-15) - Amarillo - Dallas/Ft. Worth
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:10 PM   #9485
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A missing link is Trinidad (I-15) - Amarillo - Dallas/Ft. Worth
Would most likely go through Wichita Falls aswell but most people can use the state routes and get to Dallas just as fast since the speed limit really is not enforced in the sticks of Texas. Another thing is that traffic from Amarillo to Dallas is not that heavy.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #9486
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

What do you guys think of a new freeway between Carson City, NV and Las Vegas, with connection to future I-11?

Last edited by LtBk; March 4th, 2014 at 06:17 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #9487
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
What do you guys think of a new freeway between Carson City, NV and Las Vegas, with connection to future I-11?
I doubt there's enough traffic to justify a freeway. Reno and Carson City aren't very big. Probably more traffic from there to Southern California. US 395/CA-14 connects them and is already mostly divided highway (395) or freeway (14).
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Airman Kris™ liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #9488
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Not to mention the fact that there is literally nothing between Las Vegas and Carson City which mitigates the need for such a highway.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #9489
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That's not that different from some Interstates in the north though (there isn't much on I-90 in Wyoming or I-94 in Montana either).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #9490
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Not to mention the fact that there is literally nothing between Las Vegas and Carson City which mitigates the need for such a highway.
ever been to Texas? That's not much different from Dallas to Houston. There are much greater distances between major metros.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #9491
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
ever been to Texas? That's not much different from Dallas to Houston. There are much greater distances between major metros.
Except that Dallas and Houston are much larger cities and are literally destinations into themselves. Carson City/Reno are very small by comparison plus it isn't really on the way to anywhere so building and/or converting US 95 to interstate standards is rather pointless compared with say I-90, I-70, or I-80 which serves a greater purpose of connecting the east and west coast despite running through similar desolate areas. Besides you can easily go in excess of 65-70 mph on the existing two lane road so there really isn't a need for an interstate in that corridor taking into account existing traffic volumes.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #9492
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Norfolk - Philadelphia is interesting, I guess mostly follow US-13... I-95 north of Richmond is really heavily loaded.
I've done the DelMarVa route rather than I-95 more often than not when having to travel between Philly and points south. Once you get south of Wilmington on US 13, there's nothing to speak of until you hit the Chesapeake, with the only exception being a bit of traffic around Salisbury. And, if you take US 113 south at Dover, you even miss Salisbury. Bypasses around the few areas with stoplights and you could breeze through. Flat as a board, no curves to speak of, and a good paving for the most part. Temperanceville and Melfa, Virginia are not exactly the traffic nightmare of the East Coast...
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #9493
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Except that Dallas and Houston are much larger cities and are literally destinations into themselves. Carson City/Reno are very small by comparison plus it isn't really on the way to anywhere so building and/or converting US 95 to interstate standards is rather pointless compared with say I-90, I-70, or I-80 which serves a greater purpose of connecting the east and west coast despite running through similar desolate areas. Besides you can easily go in excess of 65-70 mph on the existing two lane road so there really isn't a need for an interstate in that corridor taking into account existing traffic volumes.
+1

This is very true for many cities in north, south, and west Texas. As I was saying in an earlier post about an Amirillo-Dallas freeway, the traffic volume required is just not existent and the cities are so far apart. Two-lane routes can easily handle the volume.

FM 2258 liked this post
Airman Kris™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #9494
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Amarillo - Dallas is a four-lane divided highway all the way though.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #9495
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Amarillo - Dallas is a four-lane divided highway all the way though.

Via which route ? 287 is the only divided highway going to Dallas from Amarillo, but with it's traffic volume and locations it travels, might as well be a two-lane.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #9496
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
As far as the Mississippi-to-Macon corridor is concerned: 20/59 already runs basically east-west west of Tuscaloosa; 85 runs east-west for a bit east of Montgomery... I think something forking off of 85 where it starts to turn north then going over to Columbus would suffice. If you're trying to get from Jackson to Montgomery, you can use 20 to 459 to 65.
ALDOT has LONG term plans on extending I-85 to I-20/59 in West Alabama.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...news/100929872

They have already began the Montgomery Loop project that will re-route I-85 around Montgomery to I-65 at the present day interchange with US 80.

http://aldotapps.dot.state.al.us/MOL/

Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #9497
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Birmingham's Northen Beltline project had began back on 2/21. The $46 million dollar, 1.8 mile section will connect AL 75 and AL 79 in NE Jefferson County. Completion is expected in the fall of 2016. The project as a whole will cost $5.4 billion dollars.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/02/...struction.html
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #9498
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

You guys forgot Toledo to Columbus.

It's a sluggish drive through congested northern suburbs of Columbus on U.S. 23.

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #9499
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
ALDOT has LONG term plans on extending I-85 to I-20/59 in West Alabama.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...news/100929872

They have already began the Montgomery Loop project that will re-route I-85 around Montgomery to I-65 at the present day interchange with US 80.

http://aldotapps.dot.state.al.us/MOL/
This is news to me. Will be great for that commuter traffic between Meridian and Monte, aswell as cross state travelers of course.
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #9500
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
You guys forgot Toledo to Columbus.

It's a sluggish drive through congested northern suburbs of Columbus on U.S. 23.
I did not even think of this one. Having lived in Marion in the past, traffic can get heavy on 23. As long as this route hits Marion and maybe Upper Sandusky, there would be sufficient enough amount of traffic volume to go through with construction.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban