daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:59 PM   #9601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Interstate 49, Arkansas

I-540 in Arkansas is in the process of getting renumbered to I-49. It's the northern stretch from I-40 at Alma to Bella Vista. The renumbering started today and should be completed in a month by changing 700 signs.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/04/21/i-...9-signs-go-up/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:22 AM   #9602
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I-8 in California, West of El Centro

This is a really interesting road, going through some striking desert mountain scenery near the Mexican border. As the video notes, for a long section, the eastbound and westbound lanes are hugely separated, by as much as ~1.5 mi (~2.5 km). It says it's the widest median on the Interstate system, and I wonder if it's the widest median in the world (I'm sure someone here would know!). The west end of this freeway, in San Diego's Mission Valley, is one of my favorite sections of freeway. I-8 crosses 4 major freeways (I-5, CA-163, I-805, and I-15) within 5 miles, with a beautiful 4-level interchange with I-805. I think San Diego easily has the best freeway system in California, and one of the best in the country.

If traveling between Phoenix and Southern California, a much better choice than I-10. Here are a couple of screenshots from Google maps showing that section:

Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

nick.english.dept liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:18 AM   #9603
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Just to the south is La Rumorosa in Mexico, where both directions are as much as 4 km / 2.5 mi apart.

However, in western China there is a road where both directions are nearly 14 kilometers (9 miles) apart: http://goo.gl/maps/wWmfC

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old April 25th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #9604
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

I just came back from another US adventure so let me share some photos of the interstates. Today I-44 in Oklahoma.
Joining Turnpike south of Vinita:

Heading towards Joplin

Coming close to toll plaza

I like the clear separation of lanes for electronic and manual toll. I wish something like that would be used in Polish toll plazas

A little bit later road works:

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #9605
geogregor

They were rebuilding service area:

Entering Missouri:
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #9606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-225, Denver, CO

Widening of I-225 through Denver

Old April 28th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #9607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-85/485 interchange, Charlotte, NC

I-85/I-485 Interchange by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr

I-85/I-485 Interchange by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #9608
geogregor

I-44 in Missouri

End of the interstate

Stan Musial Bridge, carrying I-70

I-70 in Illinois
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #9609
Natomasken

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I-44 in Missouri
This signage is really strange. For one thing, it looks really odd to have both down arrows and up arrows on the same sign assembly. They ought to stick to one or the other. But this technically complies with the standards, as they're not allowed to use up arrows except where there is an option lane, so they can't be used on the right-hand sign. Likewise, they're supposed to use up arrows when there is an option lane, so down arrows can't be used on the left-hand sign.

But looking at this more carefully, there's something stranger about it. It took me a while to figure out what's going on here. This section of I-44 is co-signed with I-55, and I-55 is considered the primary route (based on the exit 209 following the numbering sequence for I-55, not I-44). At this junction, the routes split. So IMO it makes no sense to mark the right lane (I-55) as an "exit only" (although there is no exit number) because it's a continuation of the (primary) through route. Likewise, the 2 left lanes (I-44) are marked as a "left exit" even though I-44 is also a continuing route. And the one direction that really is an exit (Memorial Dr) has no exit number, although it does also get an "exit only" marking.

This is a good example of how the marking of exits often makes no sense. It gets confusing in cases like this where the continuing route separates from the mainline, or the mainline carries a new route or an exit. I think this could be avoided if only ramps that took traffic off of the freeway system were marked as exits, and that ramps connecting freeways were not.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #9610
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

So the piece of 70 in Saint Louis that was stranded by the new bridge is now part of 44? And there's now a 44/55 multiplex to reach it?
EDIT: In fact, Natomasken, not only is 55 the primary route in that multiplex, it was until very recently the ONLY route on that segment. So that "exit" to the next piece of 44 east used to be a bona fide exit from 55 to 70 west. (Somewhere, Dutch and German people are laughing at us....)

I like the "St. Louis/Chicago/Memphis" choice at the 44/255/270 junction. Much better than a lot of Eastern states' using the likes of Clinton, "Del Water Gap" and Bloomsburg....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #9611
Natomasken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So the piece of 70 in Saint Louis that was stranded by the new bridge is now part of 44? And there's now a 44/55 multiplex to reach it?
EDIT: In fact, Natomasken, not only is 55 the primary route in that multiplex, it was until very recently the ONLY route on that segment. So that "exit" to the next piece of 44 east used to be a bona fide exit from 55 to 70 west. (Somewhere, Dutch and German people are laughing at us....)

I like the "St. Louis/Chicago/Memphis" choice at the 44/255/270 junction. Much better than a lot of Eastern states' using the likes of Clinton, "Del Water Gap" and Bloomsburg....
Yeah, it did take me a while to figure out that I-70 had been relocated to the Stan Musial Bridge (Google Maps shows both the old and new routing). So I can see how it was logical to extend I-44 to give that orphaned section of freeway a number. And to their credit, they apparently did renumber the exits along that stretch consistent with I-44's numbering (based on the exit 293 for Madison Ave shown in another photo). But it would have made more sense to apply the exit 209 number to Memorial Drive. Hmmm, it just occurred to me, maybe they're considering all 3 left lanes (I-44 and Memorial Drive) to be the exit, as these lanes are, in effect, an exit from I-55. In any event, every lane of this freeway is marked in some manner as an exit. Totally screwed up!

Totally agree with your second point on the control cities. My favorite example of a ridiculous control city is Limon, Colorado (population under 2000), the only control city used for I-70 going east from Denver, instead of Topeka or Kansas City. My theory is that use of these small towns as control cities goes back to pre-Interstate times. In those times, you actually drove through the towns, so drivers were more aware of them. They were probably locations of major junctions, where a driver might need to turn off, so they had more significance. But on an Interstate, traffic flies by and they have no significance at all for most drivers.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #9612
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kansas City would be the best control city for I-70 East at Denver. Topeka and Kansas City are both over half a day driving away, but Kansas City is much larger (and a more important hub) than Topeka, which is a fairly small state capital.

On the other hand, these small High Plains towns are often the only place of significance within 1 or 2 hours of driving, so they are relevant because most services are there. But Limon as the sole control city is insufficient.
Old April 29th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #9613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 Twin Tunnels, Colorado

Before:

After:

wkiehl101, n20 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #9614
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
This signage is really strange...
I think they would've done better to use a white-on-green down arrow for I-55 and friends and three black-on-yellow arrows for the rest. With that dividing line between the I-44 part and the Downtown part, it'd be clear which lane went where, as well as which lanes were and weren't an "exit."

Now, imagine if there was an optional lane for the I-55 ramp...
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #9615
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-90 Mississippi River Bridge

The Dresbach Bridge Project at the state line of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #9616
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Before:

After:
Are they planning to widen the other tube?
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #9617
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Perhaps it's just a climbing lane.
Sad to see the "art deco" style entrence go. They should've kept the design on the new portal, but obviously the chosen design is cheaper, and probably more resistant to rock slides?
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM   #9618
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Honestly the new one looks much better. Nowhere near as dark and dreary as the original.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9619
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Honestly the new one looks much better. Nowhere near as dark and dreary as the original.
What? Dark and dreary tunnels look the best. The one on the right is so insipid.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:51 PM   #9620
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Oh, I don't know.... The old one has a certain style. And it may look dark in this photo because at this angle we can't see the lights inside it, as we can in the other.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban