daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:41 AM   #9621
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

A 25-mile stretch of the Jane Addams Tollway (between the Elgin Toll Plaza and the Kennedy Expressway) is being widened with one additonal lane in each direction, and because of this, one of the seven Illinois Tollway "Oasis"es is being removed. The "oasis", just north of the O'Hare Airport, is unlikely to be replaced because of the Elgin-O'Hare Western Access Project, and officials stated that any relocation/rebuilding of the facility would be considered prohibitively expensive. Closure and removal of the oasis is to take place from April to June of 2014.

This news was first reported in September of 2013.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:28 AM   #9622
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Verrazano Narrows Bridge over New York Harbor

105 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Lower Manhattan & Hoboken / Downtown Jersey City by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Road_UK, n20 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:24 AM   #9623
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
A 25-mile stretch of the Jane Addams Tollway (between the Elgin Toll Plaza and the Kennedy Expressway) is being widened with one additonal lane in each direction, and because of this, one of the seven Illinois Tollway "Oasis"es is being removed. The "oasis", just north of the O'Hare Airport, is unlikely to be replaced because of the Elgin-O'Hare Western Access Project, and officials stated that any relocation/rebuilding of the facility would be considered prohibitively expensive. Closure and removal of the oasis is to take place from April to June of 2014.
To be sure, this is what the "oasis" looks like

You'd expect an "oasis" in places like Arizona or Utah, not Illinois
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #9624
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Do they have any plans to widen the Eisenhower Tunnels on I-70, and the highway around there?

It would be very expensive, but the Vail <=> Denver sector is getting more and more congested on weekends.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #9625
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There was an unsolicited proposal to build a reversible toll road next to I-70.
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #9626
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To be sure, this is what the "oasis" looks like

You'd expect an "oasis" in places like Arizona or Utah, not Illinois
As highway service areas go, the oases aren't bad, actually.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #9627
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
As highway service areas go, the oases aren't bad, actually
except for truck parking...
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #9628
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
except for truck parking...
I would think that a truck that would need to stop at a rest area -- likely going past Chicago -- would actually avoid most of Chicagoland on their journey. Hence no truck parking.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #9629
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Actually, the one time I was on 80/294 - the southernmost segment of the Tristate - it seemed like every truck in the country was on that segment too at the same time. And there is an Oasis there. (Is it the Lincoln?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #9630
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Norther Delaware/Eastern Maryland

We did a quick weekender to over near Frederick, MD. Took the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295 South), to I-95 South, to I-695 West to I-70 West. Still a fair amount of construction going on at the I-95/I-695 interchanges near White Marsh, but didn't encounter any real slowdowns, even on a Friday PM.

Roadways are decent, in fact the worst stretch of the whole 110-mile trip was US 49 in my own Salem county, NJ.

Here's the merge of I-295 to I-95SB:

I-295 to I-95SB merge
by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

Volume backup at the Delaware Toll Booths, I-95 SB:

Approaching DE I-95 Toll booths

Crossing the Susquehanna River, I-95 Southbound at Havre de Grace.

Over the Susquehanna, I-95SB&#x27;

I-695 , into the setting sun

I-695 WB, Howard County Maryland

Ramp to I-70 WB towards Frederick, and ultimately, Utah. We saw the sign with mileages to Denver and Cove Fort, but could not get the camera moved in time...

I-695 to I-70 WB ramp

Got slightly better shots on Sunday evening coming home, less sun glare.
Here's the split off I-70 to I-695:

I-695, Maryland

I-695 splitting to join I-95 NB towards NYC, or SB towards Baltimore.

I-695 split approaching I-95 NB

The Big Swoop, I-695 merging with I-95 NB

I-695 merging to I-95NB

The Susquehanna River again - watch those crosswinds!

Crossing the Susquehanna, NB I-95

Volume at Christiana/Newark DE, I-95 NB.

Congestion near Christiana, NB I-95

Downslope on the Delaware Memorial Bridge eastbound, as flat New Jersey spreads out in the distance.

EB Downslope of the Delaware Memorial Bridge

Luki_SL, Penn's Woods, n20 liked this post

Last edited by JimInJersey; May 7th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #9631
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-278 Goethals Bridge, NY

Governor Cuomo Announces Start of Construction on $1.5 Billion Project to Replace the Goethals Bridge

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the official commencement of construction on a $1.5 billion public-private partnership (PPP) to replace the Goethals Bridge with a new state-of-the-art cable-stayed bridge. The replacement bridge will connect Staten Island with Elizabeth, New Jersey and serve as a key thoroughfare for the transport of billions of dollars of goods and millions of travelers throughout the region.

The new bridge will include additional wide travel lanes and 12-foot shoulders that will ease congestion and accommodate anticipated future traffic volumes. The upgraded bridge will also enhance the efficiency of the New York Container Terminal, while making accommodations for future growth at the site. The Container Terminal sits at the mouth of the bridge and serves as Staten Island’s largest private employer.

(...)

Construction is estimated to last approximately four years with initial service commencing in late 2016 and substantial completion of the bridge occurring in late 2017. To ensure the speedy delivery of the project, milestone payments to the developer will not begin until the bridge nears completion. The current Goethals Bridge will remain open until service begins on the new bridge.
Full press release: https://www.governor.ny.gov/press/05...oethals-bridge

New design:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #9632
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Cool.

I have relatives on Staten Island, so I have to use the Goethals on occasion; I don't like it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #9633
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

New design:
It's nice to see some cable-stayed bridges in the US.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #9634
Natomasken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
We did a quick weekender to over near Frederick, MD. Took the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295 South), to I-95 South, to I-695 West to I-70 West. Still a fair amount of construction going on at the I-95/I-695 interchanges near White Marsh, but didn't encounter any real slowdowns, even on a Friday PM.

Roadways are decent, in fact the worst stretch of the whole 110-mile trip was US 49 in my own Salem county, NJ.
I know this is a bit north of you, but do you know what's going on with constructing a connection between I-95 and the PA Turnpike? I read many years ago one would be built to eliminate the gap in I-95 but I haven't heard any more about it, and don't see any evidence of anything happening on Google maps.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #9635
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

There have been headlines about it in the last year or so, although I use 95 to get to North Jersey all the time - my mother lives far enough west that taking 95 to somewhere north of Trenton and then using state roads makes more sense than the Turnpike - and I can't say I've noticed anything actually going on.

New Jersey has been doing a lot of work - widening the Turnpike from the existing southern end of the split roadway down to the junction with the Pennsylvania Turnpike connector. (I do use the Turnpike occasionally for that North Jersey trip so I've seen it.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #9636
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

I am going to Philadelphia next month and I will drive to Atlantic City and Baltimore. How do toll roads work? Can you buy a pass if you drive in 3-4 states (PA, NJ, DE, MD) or you have to pay every time?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #9637
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

E-ZPass.

It works on every toll road (as far as I know) from the Northeast to the Illinois Tollways. It's sold by the participating agencies - I got mine through the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission - and I think there's some expectation that you get it through the one whose jurisdiction you live in, and also some variation in rates. (Which I don't agree with, but no one asked me.) So I don't know what someone from Seattle is supposed to do....

You might contact a couple of the agencies that sell it and see if you can get one in Seattle. By the way, they can be bought on site...I bought mine because I was on the way home from Cleveland and realized I'd forgotten to get enough cash to pay the toll to cross Pennsylvania, but they're sold at Turnpike service areas, and good for the trip you're currently on. And I think I've seen E-ZPass sales booths at some bridges in the New York area. But now that I do have one I can't imagine why I waited so long...the time saved waiting at toll booths, for starters, is worth it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #9638
Natomasken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I am going to Philadelphia next month and I will drive to Atlantic City and Baltimore. How do toll roads work? Can you buy a pass if you drive in 3-4 states (PA, NJ, DE, MD) or you have to pay every time?
Are you driving your own car or renting one in Philly? If renting, I expect your car will already have a pass installed. The rental car company will probably charge you an additional fee (I've seen $2.50/day) on top of whatever the toll charges are. Check with your rental car company.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #9639
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

renting. Usually you can pay the rental company and they give you a pass (Florida), but I don't know how it is when you cross different states.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #9640
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

whenever I go there I just pay cash, not so much waiting anymore, but depends how long you are planning to stay there.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban