daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #9641
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
E-ZPass.

It works on every toll road (as far as I know) from the Northeast to the Illinois Tollways. It's sold by the participating agencies - I got mine through the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission - and I think there's some expectation that you get it through the one whose jurisdiction you live in, and also some variation in rates. (Which I don't agree with, but no one asked me.) So I don't know what someone from Seattle is supposed to do....

You might contact a couple of the agencies that sell it and see if you can get one in Seattle. By the way, they can be bought on site...I bought mine because I was on the way home from Cleveland and realized I'd forgotten to get enough cash to pay the toll to cross Pennsylvania, but they're sold at Turnpike service areas, and good for the trip you're currently on. And I think I've seen E-ZPass sales booths at some bridges in the New York area. But now that I do have one I can't imagine why I waited so long...the time saved waiting at toll booths, for starters, is worth it.
You can also buy an EZPASS transponder at certain gas stations or supermarkets. Also you can register an EZPASS transponder in a different state than the one you reside in to avoid some of the fees. Plenty of people in other states have Illinois, Virginia, and Massachusetts EZPASS accounts for this reason alone.

Last edited by diablo234; May 9th, 2014 at 04:38 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #9642
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

In the Philly/Balto/AC area, you'll need an EzPass or cash for the following things:

1) Ben Franklin bridge from NJ to Philly, center city philly
2) Walt Whitman Bridge from NJ to Philly, south philly sports complex area
3) Commodore Barry Bridge from NJ to Chester, PA - leads to I-95 NB
4) Atlantic City Expressway - from philly suburbs to the Boardwalk.
5) Delaware Memorial Bridge from NJ to Delaware.
6) PA Turnpike if you get on it
7) NJ Turnpike if you get on it
8) Garden State Parkway if you get on it
9) A small chunk of I-95 SB in Delaware, but you can get around it on US 40
10) A small chunk of I-95 NB in Maryland, but you can get around it on US 40

A couple of the tunnels in Balto have tolls as well, but I forget which direction pays them - I think the Harbor Tunnel is for northbound I-95 users...

The Delaware Visitor Center/Rest stop on I-95 sells transponders, as does the service area at the Delaware end of the Del Mem Bridge (there is no service area on the NJ side).

They are useful from a time-saving POV, but 95% of our use is for the DMB, and we don't get any kind of discount for the bridge, so it still hits us for $4.00 every time we go to Delaware.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #9643
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Unless something's changed, the Baltimore tunnels charge in both directions. The Susquehanna bridges on I-95 and US 40 northbound only. The way to avoid that toll is to go way out of the way and use US 1 over Conowingo Dam.

What about the Tacony-Palmyra and Burlington-Bristol bridges, which are run by Burlington County? Do they accept E-ZPass? (That comes under the heading Things I Really Ought to Know, but I never use them....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #9644
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

The toll on I-95 in Delaware is also in both directions.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #9645
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

That's true. And the backups for cash-paying customers can stretch for miles (especially northbound on a Sunday). But I usually avoid that toll; it's easy enough to do. Hit the Wawa on Md. 2/Del. 896 at the state line for something to eat....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #9646
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

How much will such a trip cost me approximately?

Philadelphia - Jersey City - Atlantic City - Wilmington - Baltimore - Philadelphia

Is it cheaper when you have a pass?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #9647
JimInJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
How much will such a trip cost me approximately?

Philadelphia - Jersey City - Atlantic City - Wilmington - Baltimore - Philadelphia

Is it cheaper when you have a pass?
I think the tolls on the AC Expressway give a discount for EzPass, and possibly the GSP too. But I don't use it for money savings, I use it for TIME savings.

Philly to Jersey City is an I-95/NJTP route - Tolls on the NJTP, not sure how much. Est. $10 each way.

From Jersey City to AC is a little bit of NJTP and then the Garden State Parkway. Again, est. $10 to go south.

AC to Wilmington can be done for $0 except for the Delaware Bridge crossing which is $4.00. There is no DIRECT route, since those of us over here in the s/w corner of NJ are 3rd class citizens. You can take the AC expressway west towards Philly again, but there's no exit to go south on I-295 to head back down towards the DMB. You'd have to go all the way up to around Camden, get off the 42 North/South Freeway and then U-turn to get back on I-295 South. Not recommended.

The only 'direct' way to get from AC to Wilmington is to take US 40 west, which is also known as the Black Horse Pike. It heads out of AC at the southern end of the city, and parallels the ACE for a while but then heads more westerly/southerly, through the towns of Mays Landing, Hammonton, Elmer (yeah, Elmer...), Woodstown and finally Carneys Point at the river's edge. It's mostly two-lane and rural, but can be very unsafe at night when drunks and sleepers from AC head home broke and can't take the ACE. However, it IS Route 40, and it DOES pass the famous Cowtown Rodeo.

Wilmington to Baltimore is I-95, tolled in Delaware and Maryland. Each state collects $4.00, if I remember.

Wave as ya go by - I can see the DMB from here.

Last edited by JimInJersey; May 9th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #9648
JimInJersey

Quote:
Unless something's changed, the Baltimore tunnels charge in both directions. The Susquehanna bridges on I-95 and US 40 northbound only. The way to avoid that toll is to go way out of the way and use US 1 over Conowingo Dam.

What about the Tacony-Palmyra and Burlington-Bristol bridges, which are run by Burlington County? Do they accept E-ZPass? (That comes under the heading Things I Really Ought to Know, but I never use them....)
Yeah, I don't even pay attention anymore, my EzPass is automatically refreshed from my checking account, and I try to get in the express lanes when I can.

The northern bridges in Philly I'm not sure about - TP and BB. I think I've been over the TP once in my life. Don't forget the Betsy Ross too...
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #9649
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The Betsy Ross is a Delaware River Port Authority bridge, so the same deal as Ben, Walt and Barry (extra points to any non-local who can give the full names of those three) - a few dollars (is it five now?), westbound only.

By the way - and as a native New Jerseyan I'm allowed to say this - there's a joke that's helpful if you're trying to remember which direction you have to pay and which is free, that is true for both the Philadelphia-area and the New York-area bridges and tunnels: "New Jersey is the only state you have to pay to get out of."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #9650
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That's the same ongoing joke about the Severn Bridge between Wales and England. You have to pay to get into Wales, but it's free to escape back to English civilization.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #9651
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-75 Fort Myers, FL

Widening of I-75 in Fort Myers, Florida.

It is located in Lee County. The size of the urbanized area suggests a population of over 2 million (30x30 mi), but the actual population is 660,000. A closer inspection shows many vacant lots, especially farther inland. This area was probably laid out during the land boom of the 1920s.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

n20, devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #9652
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
I know this is a bit north of you, but do you know what's going on with constructing a connection between I-95 and the PA Turnpike? I read many years ago one would be built to eliminate the gap in I-95 but I haven't heard any more about it, and don't see any evidence of anything happening on Google maps.
Quote:
There have been headlines about it in the last year or so, although I use 95 to get to North Jersey all the time - my mother lives far enough west that taking 95 to somewhere north of Trenton and then using state roads makes more sense than the Turnpike - and I can't say I've noticed anything actually going on.

New Jersey has been doing a lot of work - widening the Turnpike from the existing southern end of the split roadway down to the junction with the Pennsylvania Turnpike connector. (I do use the Turnpike occasionally for that North Jersey trip so I've seen it.)
Just to confirm...I took 95 north to Mom's today and paid careful attention as I was in the Turnpike area: there's nothing noticeable going on. At least nothing that's noticeable from 95 (including a glance east along the Turnpike while on the overpass).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #9653
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

From a couple of posts I made at AARoads a week ago. Photos are mine.

Southbound on I-78/85 in downtown Atlanta, a new arrow per lane sign, in violation of the MUTCD because APL's aren't supposed to be used unless there's an optional lane:

Heading east on I-20 to the new(ish) addition of lanes from I-285 to Panola Road. Here we're passing under the 20 eastbound to 285 northbound ramp, just before the new CD serving traffic coming from 285 and going to Wesley Chapel Road. Formerly there were three mainline lanes for I-20 combining with three narrowing to two from 285 into a five lane roadway, with a two-lane drop at the Wesley Chapel exit. Now, there's a three lane mainline and a three lane CD.

On the CD, the first APL sign I ever saw in Georgia. The third lane from 285 has already ended.

At the split. For a while, the right fork of the optional lane that the arrow indicates didn't exist-- surprise! The bridge at Wesley Chapel was replaced about five years ago, and bays for CD's were provided at considerable expense. They're not being used, though. You'll soon see why.

Just beyond Wesley Chapel, there are still five lanes, with the Wesley Chapel onramp merging into the right lanes, which will soon end. That's why the CD didn't use the bay under the Wesley Chapel bridge: the room was needed to cram six lanes into four as quickly as possible.

And, the crowning glory: after the cramdown, no shoulders at all on this short bridge! I guess the noise barriers ate up whatever money had been budgeted for adding at least a right shoulder.

That bridge was built in 1960 or so and AFAIK still exists somewhere under the asphalt. Standard rural shoulders were added in the early '70's and the median was decked over not long after that when the 36 foot median was used for two more lanes. Frugality is a virtue, but I think we could've popped for something better here.

Going back westbound, plenty of noise barriers but no extra lane, and (not pictured) a scary-short onramp from Panola Road. :-o

Luki_SL, Natomasken, wkiehl101 liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #9654
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

I notice when I was in Atlanta, most freeways don't have street lights ,like in North Carolina and other southern cities
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #9655
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
From a couple of posts I made at AARoads a week ago. Photos are mine.

Southbound on I-78/85 in downtown Atlanta, a new arrow per lane sign, in violation of the MUTCD because APL's aren't supposed to be used unless there's an optional lane:
I'm glad to see this! I always thought it made no sense to have two completely different formats (down arrows vs. up arrows) for freeway junctions with the only difference being whether there was an option lane or not. But I wish the MUTCD had specified black-on-yellow panels for the exit only lanes (like on the adjacent sign with the down arrow). I think this would be cleaner and make the exit only message more noticeable. The two separate yellow panels are small and not very visible and they also reduce the legibility of the arrow, IMO. I'm also glad to see these don't use the compressed font I saw on the signs when I visited Atlanta years ago.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #9656
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
I'm also glad to see these don't use the compressed font I saw on the signs when I visited Atlanta years ago.
Oh, it's still around. I'd say it and the new style (first grade pencil, I call it) are about 50-50%. And they're often mixed on the same stretch of highway. It looks like crap.

Last edited by Tom 958; May 11th, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #9657
CharmCity1

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:

Yes the tolls in Maryland are $4 Fort Mchenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels including the Baltimore Beltway outer harbor crossing on the Francis Scott Key Bridge are charged both ways.
CharmCity1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #9658
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
I'm also glad to see these don't use the compressed font I saw on the signs when I visited Atlanta years ago.
That really wasn't a compressed font. Georgia used to use 20" UC/16" LC Series D on guide signs instead of the more standard 16" UC/12" LC Series E-modified. The increased letter heights mitigated the reduced legibility of Series D.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #9659
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

The New San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge by CosmoPhotography, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #9660
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Widening of I-75 in Fort Myers, Florida.

It is located in Lee County. The size of the urbanized area suggests a population of over 2 million (30x30 mi), but the actual population is 660,000. A closer inspection shows many vacant lots, especially farther inland. This area was probably laid out during the land boom of the 1920s.
nope, 1950's and 1960's. I suggest reading up on it, its one of the worlds largest real estate scams. Some real estate guy drain thousands of acres of Florida everglade to create the "city of the future" and sell essentially valueless land to unsuspecting buyers who often only saw the land from a helicopter before signing the dotted line. now there is a multi billion dollar project to pump water back into some of the drained areas and to restore the natural environment to the section south of I-75..

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...-estates-swamp

Cape Coral is similar, but less so of a failure. Its still largely a graveyard of streets paved 30 years ago with only a few houses in sight. Florida as a whole is pockmarked with failed real estate developments, its actually a really interesting place.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; May 16th, 2014 at 04:19 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban