daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #9681
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I-25, Denver, CO

All photos by the Colorado Department of Transporation.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, wkiehl101, JMBasquiat liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #9682
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-405, Los Angeles, CA

Probably the most expensive carpool lane in history opened to traffic in Los Angeles. It runs for 10 miles from I-10 to US 101 across Sepulveda Pass. The new HOV lane is only northbound, as there already was a southbound HOV lane since 2002. I-405 is now widened to 12 lanes. The carpool lane cost just over $ 1 billion.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:21 PM   #9683
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

At AAA for an oil change and annual inspection.

Took a look at the 2014 AAA road atlas. Of note: they've got I-22 marked as "future" in Mississippi but not in Alabama. I mean they've got it marked in Alabama but without the "future" they have along with the markers in Mississippi, so I would assume it's actually signed. Does that agree with the situation on the ground (or more precisely, the situation on the ground a year ago when I assume this thing was published)?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #9684
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-405, Seal Beach, CA

Another carpool project that will be completed this year is the widening of I-405 in Seal Beach, between CA-22 and I-605. The project will add a second carpool lane in both directions, creating 8 lanes each way. This is the busiest freeway in the United States.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:57 PM   #9685
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is the busiest freeway in the United States.
I wonder why they did not put *some* cars in their animated movie. Feels ridiculous to see such a wide freeway completely empty, especially after the real footage that shows traffic jams.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #9686
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Probably the most expensive carpool lane in history opened to traffic in Los Angeles. It runs for 10 miles from I-10 to US 101 across Sepulveda Pass. The new HOV lane is only northbound, as there already was a southbound HOV lane since 2002. I-405 is now widened to 12 lanes. The carpool lane cost just over $ 1 billion.

I was in LA earlier this month and took a few pictures of the 405. The first one is from the Getty Center (museum) on a ridge above the freeway.

Next one is southbound just south of the 101 Freeway.

Now going northbound approaching the summit at Sepulveda Pass.

At the pass.

Approaching the 101 Freeway.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Luki_SL, wkiehl101 liked this post

Last edited by Natomasken; May 27th, 2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: fixed url
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #9687
Natomasken

I had to go up to Seattle last week and took a few pix of I-5. I also shot videos of I-5, I-90, the Alaska Way viaduct, and West Seattle Bridge. I hope to post those sometime but need to learn how to do videos first.

Going northbound on I-5 approaching downtown Seattle. First time I've seen variable speed limit signs in the US. 60 is the default limit.

Speed limit reduced as we approach congestion through downtown.

I-5 has reversible express lanes going north from downtown.

After the freeway was built, a deck was built over it that supports a city park among other things.

Reversible express lanes in the middle.

Now going south towards downtown.

The north side of the freeway deck.

Exit to I-90 from C/D lanes.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #9688
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

That's probably the first two times I've seen "OK" on an American road sign. The New Jersey Turnpike, however, has been using variable speed limit signs since the dawn of time.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

FM 2258 liked this post
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #9689
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Counting from the bottom of the post, pictures no. 3 & 6 show some cracks on the asphalt.
How unusual is that? How often are those highway cracks fixed?
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #9690
Natomasken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That's probably the first two times I've seen "OK" on an American road sign. The New Jersey Turnpike, however, has been using variable speed limit signs since the dawn of time.
You're right, I'd forgotten about those old neon-tube signs, which I've definitely seen. One difference is these are lane-specific, like typical European practice. They can also be used to display other messages: I saw one with "CAUTION" and a down arrow above the right lane before heavy merging traffic.

The city of Los Angeles used to use signs with two right arrows, with "ONLY" under one and "OK" under the other to indicate option lanes.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #9691
Natomasken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Counting from the bottom of the post, pictures no. 3 & 6 show some cracks on the asphalt.
Unfortunately not that uncommon in the Seattle region. I've gone up there a few times in the last few years and the pavement has always been in pretty poor shape. I haven't noticed any repairs in that time. It's better in other parts of the state, like where I live (southwest, near Portland). The big problem we have around here (Oregon too) is ruts in the pavement caused by studded tires. IMO there ought to be a heavy tax on studded tires used to pay for the damage they cause.
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #9692
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
This is concrete and is 60 years old. They will eventually repave it in a few years.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #9693
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
I had to go up to Seattle last week and took a few pix of I-5. I also shot videos of I-5, I-90, the Alaska Way viaduct, and West Seattle Bridge. I hope to post those sometime but need to learn how to do videos first.

Going northbound on I-5 approaching downtown Seattle. First time I've seen variable speed limit signs in the US. 60 is the default limit.

Speed limit reduced as we approach congestion through downtown.
It occurs to me that lane-discipline purists should be protesting here. Four 30s and a 45? Surely it should be the other way around, since everyone should be driving in the right lane and using the other four for passing.... ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #9694
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The left lane is probably an HOV lane.
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #9695
Natomasken

Quote:
The left lane is probably an HOV lane.
It was an HOV lane (as in the upper pic) but at this point has turned into an exit-only lane. It's hard to tell because the lane-drop lane markings are poorly done. You can sort-of see the "left lane must exit" sign in the distance on the lower pic. For some reason, the yellow "exit only" panels are missing from the overhead sign.

Correction: What is actually happening here is that the HOV lane continues past the left exit, but non-HOVs are allowed to use the left lane to exit. That explains the lack of the exit only panels. Under the "left lane must exit" sign in a panel that says "except transit and carpools."
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Last edited by Natomasken; May 29th, 2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #9696
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Express Lanes, Northern Virginia

New aerial photos

IMG_2049 by VaDOT, on Flickr

IMG_2064 by VaDOT, on Flickr

IMG_2087 by VaDOT, on Flickr
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9697
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
The carpool lane cost just over $ 1 billion.
I imagine that figure includes all the other general improvements they did, like widening, the new interchange at Wilshire, and a lot of work on the retaining walls that I noticed.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM   #9698
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

I ride on 95 northbound through Prince William County all the way to the Beltway everyday to work, and southbound on the way home. The construction definitely seems to be progressing well. I believe they are going to add a lane in either direction until Route 234 as well when they repave the regular 95 lanes. Those Express lanes are going to be three wide from the Beltway until Prince William Parkway, it looks like. It certainly handles a ton of traffic everyday. No Metro out there.
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:46 PM   #9699
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-278 Kusciuszko Bridge, New York

Governor Cuomo Announces Contractors for the $555 Million Kosciuszko Bridge Replacement

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that a design-build team has been selected to replace the eastbound Kosciuszko Bridge carrying the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (Interstate 278) over Newtown Creek between Brooklyn and Queens in New York City. The team includes construction companies Skanska, an experienced design-build construction firm based in New York City, which will be managing partner; Ecco III of Yonkers; Kiewit of Nebraska; and HNTB of Kansas as the lead design firm. The $555 million project is the largest single contract the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) has ever undertaken.

The 1.1 mile eastbound viaduct is being completely replaced, with the new span being built alongside the current bridge. The portion over water will be a cable-stayed design. The new bridge will improve safety and reduce congestion through wider driving lanes, the addition of auxiliary lanes and shoulders, and a reduced grade which will make it easier for trucks to stay up to speed.

Construction will begin later this summer with demolition of buildings to make room for the new bridge and pile driving for the bridge foundations. Construction on the foundations is expected to begin in the fall and continue through 2015, with the bulk of the new eastbound bridge being built in 2016 and demolition of the existing eastbound structure in 2017. All work is expected to be completed in early 2018. A new westbound viaduct will be built as part of a future project.
Full press release: https://www.governor.ny.gov/press/05...ge-replacement
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:06 PM   #9700
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 210

LOL I was working on a project right next to that bridge and it always made me laugh that nobody knew the correct way to pronounce the name.
DemolitionDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban