daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:00 PM   #9701
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-64, Virginia

The first DDI in Virginia is located at the I-64 / US 15 interchange in Louisa County.

IMG_2372 by VaDOT, on Flickr

IMG_2330 by VaDOT, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

xXFallenXx liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #9702
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Rural I-55 heading south from St Louis to Memphis

Dead straight, pure America

Road works, down to one lane, I think the speed limit was down only slightly to 60mph

We are choosing I-40
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #9703
geogregor

Entering Memphis

Old June 4th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #9704
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Top story in this area tonight: the bridge on I-495 (in Delaware) over the Christina River is closed. Structural issues.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #9705
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The first DDI in Virginia is located at the I-64 / US 15 interchange in Louisa County.

IMG_2372 by VaDOT, on Flickr

IMG_2330 by VaDOT, on Flickr
Nice design. I drove through one of these on the Bangerter Highway in Utah. It felt very natural. It's very efficient too, only two cycles per set of signals needed, unlike a normal diamond interchange or a SPUI.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #9706
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post

We are choosing I-40
So you were going to Memphis instead of Memphis?

(But nice sign anyway!)
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #9707
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

That's in Arkansas. I've been in Little Rock since Sunday, and I've noticed that Arkansas apparently doesn't do big arrow or arrow per lane signs, even when they'd be appropriate, as at that 40-55 split.

I suppose I should take some photos, but nothing really stands out for me.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #9708
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

On April 17, WisDOT unveiled it's recommended alternative for the I-39/90 - Beltline interchange in Madison, as part of the massive 39/90 widening project:

http://projects.511wi.gov/documents/...8-efa4719d2c53

Overhead layout:

http://projects.511wi.gov/documents/...3-8f23480f843f

Note how the US 51/ Stoughton Rd ramps (blue) are separate from the WB Beltline mainline.

Overall, I really like this design, WisDOT is definitely doing this one right.

Last edited by brewerfan386; June 7th, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #9709
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I-285 Atlanta

This time-lapse video showcases a full ride on the I-285 Atlanta ring highway.

Old June 9th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #9710
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This time-lapse video showcases a full ride on the I-285 Atlanta ring highway.

look boring and no street light on the freeways, just like most of the south
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #9711
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
look boring and no street light on the freeways, just like most of the south
Actually, of the bigger cities in the Atlantic South, I think Atlanta's are unique in not having streetlights on the freeways. Based on the cities whose freeways I've driven, anyway.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #9712
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Maryland

Maryland House northeast of Baltimore.

Maryland House Aerial2 by TheMDTA, on Flickr

Maryland House Aerial1 by TheMDTA, on Flickr
Old June 14th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #9713
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Does that mean it's open?

The Maryland House was a big service area (of the sort you usually find only on toll roads in the U.S., but that stretch of 95 technically is a toll road.)

My favorite feature was the travel information center. Most states have "welcome centers" at their borders which are meant to promote tourism in the state and therefore don't have information for other states, but this facility had stuff (I picked up a North Carolina official road map once...) from up and down the East Coast.

The Maryland House and its twin north of the Susquehanna, the Chesapeake House, were both closed the last time I was down that way. Hence my question. I think they were being completely rebuilt. (The Maryland House was in the same building, in faux-Colonial style, for decades...) I hope the information center's back.

----------

In other news, from a bit to the northeast of there, local reports this morning are that that 495 bridge in Delaware which manifested structural problems a couple of weeks ago will be closed all summer. There was talk when this started of a temporary replacement....

EDIT: That building in the photos actually looks like the Chesapeake House main building.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #9714
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-80, I-680, CA-12, Fairfield, CA

I came across this project:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/projects/solano8068012/

http://www.sta.ca.gov/Content/10078/...e_Project.html

It will move the northern terminus of I-680 to the west, with a new combined interchange of I-80, I-680 and California State Route 12 at Fairfield. The first package started this month.

Old June 15th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #9715
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Some photos of Little Rock from when I was there last week. Little Rock has respectable but not very photogenic freeway system, and some of the photos I took didn't turn out well, but I've uploaded a few anyway, so I might as well share them here.

All of the freeways I drove on there had six lanes, which means that Little Rock wins the prize for having the freeway system that would be easiest to recreate accurately in SimCity 4.

This one is on I-30 headed southward from downtown, approaching the interchange with I-630. The signage is extremely economical. The bridges over I-30 have been replaced relatively recently, presumably as a part of the I-630 interchange project:

A bit further south, approaching the interchange of I-30, I-530 and I-440. This interchange is interesting because it was mostly grafted onto the existing three-way directional interchange and thus has several left-hand entrances and exits. This sign is nominally a mess, with two down arrows over one lane and no indication of a lane drop on the left, but I could figure out what it was trying to tell me easily enough (my motel was east of here, off of I-440 at the airport). Current practice would be to put an arrow-per-lane sign here, but I'm not sure it'd be that much more comprehensible:

A bit further south. I guessed right! Note the Clearview on the pullthrough sign but not on the others:

Curving off toward I-440 eastbound. Much of this area is wetlands, so most of the added portions of this interchange are on bridges, as are the westernmost several miles of I-440 and its first two service interchanges. This shot is pretty dramatic, or so I think.

Apparently the bridge piers were initially painted a weird orangey-brown color, like something Tennessee would do. Decades later, the paint has faded or washed away very unevenly, so the piers look blotchy, as though the color is actually from rusty water seeping off of the weathering steel. It looks really bad.

Headed back north on I-30, here's the offramp to AR 10/Cantrell Road, which IMO is the most interesting highway in Little Rock. This section is part of the approaches to the bridge over the Arkansas River. This area is pretty old, as you can see from the guardrail design. The guardrail on the ramp ahead was the same as the one to the right until an errant vehicle smashed off the metal part. It's pretty rare to have a full-height concrete parapet in front of a full-height metal guardrail. I wonder if the parapet was original or was added later. It somewhat resembles the type of barrier that the UK has introduced recently.

Arkansas is very conservative in designing its offramp terminals; this is an older highway, but the newer ones are similar in that the offramp appears to be built as a single twelve foot wide lane rather than having a taper of a certain size followed by the ramp itself (here's a Google Streetview link that shows it better, since I didn't get a photo). That and the parallel-type entrance ramps took a little getting used to for me.

Entering Cantrell Road, passing under the viaduct we were on in the previous photo. Note the steel piers:

Hmmm... now what? I'm leaving the Interstate system, so I suppose I should post the next batch in the non -Interstate thread. OK, then. But while I'm here, I'll veer off to rogue APL signs in Atlanta. Aren't they horrible? This one is an arrow per lane sign that doesn't actually have an arrow per lane:

The old skool signs they replaced were much better.

Last edited by Tom 958; June 15th, 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: I never get it right the first time /
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #9716
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) Southbound in Elizabeth,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) Southbound in Elizabeth,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #9717
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Does that mean it's open?
The one SOUTH of the river is open. The one NORTH of the river is still being rebuilt. Like you, I remember stopping at one or another of these places dozens of times over the years. I particularly remember many stops there after all-day runs up I-95 from Florida at 2 or 3 in the morning, getting out of the car after navigating through DC and Balto and thinking, "whew, I'm almost home"... Sometimes the temperature difference made me wish I'd switched out of shorts and a tee shirt at some point. They were open 24 hours a day, which was nice. Sunoco still has the gas concession. The new one is pretty nice, but it lacks the old stone charm of the previous building. Lots of tourist info though.

Penn's Woods liked this post
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #9718
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-25, Denver, CO

The I-25 / US 6 interchange in Denver.

Old June 19th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #9719
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Hmmm... now what? I'm leaving the Interstate system, so I suppose I should post the next batch in the non -Interstate thread. OK, then. But while I'm here, I'll veer off to rogue APL signs in Atlanta. Aren't they horrible? This one is an arrow per lane sign that doesn't actually have an arrow per lane:

The old skool signs they replaced were much better.
My opinion my be in the minority here, but I don't hate those signs. Sure they are gigantic, but they are far more clear than the signs that they replaced, which I don't think is a bad thing, given the importance of the interchange ahead.
Old June 19th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #9720
geogregor

I-55 heading from Memphis to Jackson
I found it quite picturesque and pleasant to drive.
Definitely not as boring and flat as I expected.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban