daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #9721
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

That's all for now.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #9722
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

One of the few states yours truly has never been in.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #9723
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

You aren't missing much, terrible state. So dirty and rundown.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #9724
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

well it is by far the poorest state in the union, so it shouldn't really be surprising. Its average income is something like $35,000 vs. the national average of ~$50,000.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #9725
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I'd like to see Vicksburg and Natchez.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #9726
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Income statistics don't give the full story in the U.S., as the cost of living varies considerably in the United States. For example California has high wages, but also exorbitant housing prices (not just Silicon Valley).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #9727
geogregor

Quote:
It is definitely an unfair statement.

No state is uniform. I've seen some pretty run down and dirty areas in Florida too.

Natchez nad Vicksburg are pretty nice. Otherwise I mostly drove through the state with short stop in Jackson. Its road infrastructure is not particularly run down, definitely better than in some northern states (Illinois comes to mind).
Old June 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #9728
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Income statistics don't give the full story in the U.S., as the cost of living varies considerably in the United States. For example California has high wages, but also exorbitant housing prices (not just Silicon Valley).
...and we should try to get out of the habit of gratuitous negative blanket statements about other people's home states/countries/cities anyway....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 20th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #9729
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

I can't imagine how MS would be more rundown than some cities in New Jersey (in New York area). If you drive around Newark, Elizabeth, Irvington you see many fourth-world places New Jersey is a very weird place. You can see the worst and the best places within only a few minutes. I am wondering what Portuguese players were thinking when they had to go to MetLife Stadium earlier this month.

Last edited by Botev1912; June 20th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #9730
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Given that one of the largest Portuguese communities in the country lives very near there, in the "Ironbound" section of Newark (which is sparkling clean and not at all like one expects Newark to look), they may have enjoyed themselves. Good Portuguese and Spanish food in the Ironbound.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 21st, 2014, 02:08 AM   #9731
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Urban Jersey is unfairly beat up by suburban people. There are a few bad areas of Newark and Elizabeth ...but there are very nice sections....like the North Ward and East Ward. Downtown is seeing a lot of investment... Elizabeth is just under invested... Irvington is bad...along with Camden and parts of Trenton and Paterson. But the same can be said for large swaths of New York City....
Visit the New Jersey Section

Penn's Woods liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 02:09 AM   #9732
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post

That's all for now.
Love these shots. I've driven through Mississippi on I-20 a few times (and will do so again early next month). The way their interstates are constructed with a lot of wooded medians and curves reminds me of some of the parkways in the Northeast, only with a much more rural setting.

Tom 958, FM 2258 liked this post
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:08 PM   #9733
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Love these shots. I've driven through Mississippi on I-20 a few times (and will do so again early next month). The way their interstates are constructed with a lot of wooded medians and curves reminds me of some of the parkways in the Northeast, only with a much more rural setting.
That's an enduring mystery to me: why some states built their Interstates with continuously wide medians (Virginia, Tennessee) and others mostly to the prevailing minimum standards with few bifurcations(Georgia, Alabama). As the photos show, Mississippi is kind of in the middle. This:

where the bridge has an extra span over the wide median, is something that Georgia didn't do at all until the mid '70's, by which time most of the Interstates had been built.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:44 AM   #9734
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
It is definitely an unfair statement.

No state is uniform. I've seen some pretty run down and dirty areas in Florida too.

Natchez nad Vicksburg are pretty nice. Otherwise I mostly drove through the state with short stop in Jackson. Its road infrastructure is not particularly run down, definitely better than in some northern states (Illinois comes to mind).
From my experience that is my take from Mississippi, the coastal part is ok but inland just looked awful. Of course there were some decent areas but overall I would never live there or go out of my way to visit there either. If you have to compare road infrastructure to a northern state it doesn't compliment anything. Most of MS does not experience any kind of real winter, just like FL there are some roads that haven't been touched or re-paved for many years but still ok. Speaking of FL its also a state with many dirty areas especially outside the cities, it also used to be one of the poorest states many years back. It's still a state with a service based economy with overall low pay and high income inequality.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:43 PM   #9735
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Coffeeville MS sounds lame, how much further to Margaritaville?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #9736
geogregor

Quote:
From my experience that is my take from Mississippi, the coastal part is ok but inland just looked awful. Of course there were some decent areas but overall I would never live there or go out of my way to visit there either. If you have to compare road infrastructure to a northern state it doesn't compliment anything. Most of MS does not experience any kind of real winter, just like FL there are some roads that haven't been touched or re-paved for many years but still ok. Speaking of FL its also a state with many dirty areas especially outside the cities, it also used to be one of the poorest states many years back. It's still a state with a service based economy with overall low pay and high income inequality.
I have to say that to me Mississippi looked like any other state. Really. Not particularly worse or better.
Of course I can't judge the quality of life there but to average visitor I can't say why it would be worse than any other place.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:12 AM   #9737
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

As a resident of Mississippi, I feel I should speak on these claims.

First, everyone please google Madison, MS, a suburb which has been rated on of the top places to live in the US which is located just north of Jackson. Then google the streets and infrastructure [I]in[I] Jackson proper, absolutely horrendous; but in the some areas of Jackson you will find extremely nice neighborhoods and probably the highest number of BMW, Mercedes, Rovers on the roads than any other state capital in the US. This is not an exaggeration , you can see 5-10 on a short trip around that part of town . This shows you can not judge the state as a whole.

As a resident who deals with the capitals cities infrastructure problems on a daily basis I look at it this way, we are making headway and you have to keep in my the city is nearly 200 years old on top of terrible Yazoo clay soil; Not to mention in a financial slump albeit easing up. The beautiful scenery makes up for it.

Jackson is the most progressive city in the state however and denies stereotypes all over, such as the recent pro-LGBTQ rights resolution.

Gregor I did enjoy the photos! Visit Jackson sometime.

Downtown Jackson

Penn's Woods, gregrc75, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Airman Kris™; June 23rd, 2014 at 06:21 AM.
Airman Kris™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:13 AM   #9738
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Accidental double post.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM   #9739
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Both left and right emergency lanes have some kind of weirf grill-like lines across the road.
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:46 PM   #9740
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If that's what I think it is, you see that lots of places. Those grooves make a lot of noise when you drive over them, so if you drift to the side of the road because you dozed off or something, you'll get a loud wake-up call. And hopefully consider taking a rest.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Airman Kris™ liked this post

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban