daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:08 PM   #9741
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Yes, to wake sleepy drivers up! Bzzzzrrrrrrrrrtttt!!!!!

I remember first seeing this as a kid on IH 25 in New Mexico. Later it got implemented all over Texas.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #9742
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

It's also increasingly common in Europe. Along with painted lines that also make a noise if you cross them.

It's safer, but doesn't really solve the issue at hand; distracted driving. Taking your eyes off the road for 2 seconds may not be a problem, but combine that with other activities (changing a CD, hook up your phone, read a text message, looking at a map) and you'll find yourself crossing the lines quite easily.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #9743
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

I have also seen these "alert-lines" on city boulevards and major thoroughfares through high pedestrian areas. It is a great idea for both city streets and interstates.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:39 PM   #9744
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Both left and right emergency lanes have some kind of weirf grill-like lines across the road.
In California, we call them "rumble strips" and like others have said, they are there to alert non-attentive drivers that they have drifted onto the shoulder (left or right).

Caltrans (California's Dept of Transportation) has also placed rumble strips in between the double yellow lines that separate opposing traffic on two-lane highways that have a higher-than-average rate of head-on collisions.

FM 2258, Airman Kris™ liked this post
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:55 PM   #9745
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I know the term rumble strip, but I didn't know if it could be used for those grooves on the side of the road to wake you up. To me "rumble strip" means a sort of band of noisy, rough pavement directly across the roadway that's meant to draw your attention to a hazard or just make you pay closer attention...what I'm imagining in particular is if you're approaching a school there might be a series of them so you slow down.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #9746
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

The reflectors for the lane divider obviously make a rather loud noise when driven over, I am assuming to have the same as the the so called "alert lines" or "rumble strips".
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #9747
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Kris™ View Post
The reflectors for the lane divider obviously make a rather loud noise when driven over, I am assuming to have the same as the the so called "alert lines" or "rumble strips".
The sounds are quite different. Driving over the reflectors makes a thump… thump… thump… thump sound while driving over the rumble strip makes a "BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #9748
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

the sound of your tires disintegrating
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #9749
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It's not that bad for them. And you don't drive over a rumble strip for long...that's sort of the point. Mais comment dit-on "rumble strip" en français ?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #9750
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quebec calls them "bandes rugueuses" which I think is the correct term, but Ontario has signed them on Hwy 17 as, IIRC, "bandes medianes striées" (striated median band, they are on the centreline on that road) which strikes me as terribly awkward (not very uncommon though on MTO signage for some reason)
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #9751
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

I've seen those grill things used here for as long as I can remember, first it was the paint that was fairly thick in that exact pattern with the same result, but since 1995-ish it's been the actual asphalt tasked with waking you up.
We have them on the center line/divider too, even where it's legal to overtake, I find this a bit annoying at times.
BBRRRRRR
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #9752
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Both left and right emergency lanes have some kind of weirf grill-like lines across the road.
A lot of highways in the US have these.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #9753
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
Caltrans (California's Dept of Transportation) has also placed rumble strips in between the double yellow lines that separate opposing traffic on two-lane highways that have a higher-than-average rate of head-on collisions.
it's the same in Washington. Haven't seen it anywhere on the east coast.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #9754
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
The sounds are quite different. Driving over the reflectors makes a thump… thump… thump… thump sound while driving over the rumble strip makes a "BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound.
Yes they do sound different but as I said they still serve the same purpose. The reflectors happen to serve two.
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #9755
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Kris™ View Post
Gregor I did enjoy the photos! Visit Jackson sometime.
Actually I did stop in Jackson for a few hours. As it was Sunday the capitol building was closed but we visited the old capitol.
I post some non-road pictures of my US travels in the Polish part of Skyscrapercity .
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #9756
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It's not that bad for them. And you don't drive over a rumble strip for long...that's sort of the point. Mais comment dit-on "rumble strip" en français ?
Bande sonore.
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #9757
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Merci. Thought that was "soundtrack."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #9758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-75, Sarasota, FL

Sarasota gets perhaps the biggest DDI in the U.S., with 5 through lanes each way. It will be the first DDI in the state of Florida.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ukraine, Airman Kris™ liked this post
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #9759
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-77, Charlotte, NC

NCDOT Signs Contract to Provide Reliable Travel Time Along Heavily Congested I-77

The N.C. Department of Transportation today signed an agreement with Cintra for a public-private-partnership (P3) contract to improve the traffic flow along 26 miles of I-77 in the Charlotte area, one of the most congested roadways in the state. The P3 enables NCDOT to address a critical need and provide immediate travel time reliability along I-77 from Uptown Charlotte to the Lake Norman area that could otherwise not be completed with limited funds.

The state will invest about $88 million dollars and Cintra will secure the remainder of the $655 million to design, build, operate and maintain the managed lanes project in exchange for toll revenue generated from the lanes. This public-private partnership will complete the project within four years instead of the estimated 20 years it would take to secure enough state funding to move forward.

The I-77 project includes converting the current High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes, which already exist along I-77, and adding capacity to the roadway. The existing HOV lanes and new lanes will be High Occupancy managed lanes that allow free use for eligible carpoolers (three passengers or greater), buses and motorcyclists, while allowing other drivers to pay a toll to use those lanes.

The project will add capacity to I-77 between Brookshire Freeway (Exit 11) in Charlotte and N.C. 150 (Exit 36) in Iredell County. This portion of the I-77 corridor already experiences significant congestion, and projections show a 2-to-3 percent increase in traffic volume is expected every year through 2030.
Press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=10023
Old June 27th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #9760
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Here's something different:

http://www.paturnpike.com/news/falcons.aspx

Nice.

(Just went on to get my E-ZPass statement and that was high up on the homepage.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban