daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #9761
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

a 10 lane arterial road? is that even safe? my understanding is that in general you aren't supposed to go beyond 6 lanes and in rare cases 8..
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #9762
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

10-lane arterials are pretty rare. But it's only the amount of lanes at the first intersection, it will probably drop down to three through lanes after.

The interchange is located in a busy area, with a number of strip malls and suburban office parks. The current road is a six-lane divided arterial. The surrounding area is your typical Florida golf course suburb.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #9763
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

The question is, how will this effect the golf carts and bicycles in that area ? I can see many pedestrian incidents aswell. Look's like chaos for Florida in my opinion.
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #9764
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

haha, bicycles in Florida? you don't get around Florida in anything but a car. If you have ever been on a Floridan arterial like the one this interchange is being built on, you will know that pedestrians are almost non-existant.

I remember chuckling to myself when driving on one of these arterials and seeing a biker on the sidewalk, despite the road having bike lanes. the bike lanes are too dangourous with the traffic moving at 60mph a foot away, and you would be lucky if the roads even had a sidewalk.
Old June 30th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #9765
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Few more shots of Mississippi interstates:

I-20 on the left

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:35 AM   #9766
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
haha, bicycles in Florida? you don't get around Florida in anything but a car. If you have ever been on a Floridan arterial like the one this interchange is being built on, you will know that pedestrians are almost non-existant.

I remember chuckling to myself when driving on one of these arterials and seeing a biker on the sidewalk, despite the road having bike lanes. the bike lanes are too dangourous with the traffic moving at 60mph a foot away, and you would be lucky if the roads even had a sidewalk.
I've noticed that the US in general does a lot better job of providing sidewalks for foot traffic than Canada. Even if pedestrian count is low. Wheres the sidewalk along most of Dundas?
VoltAmps está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:16 AM   #9767
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

This is pretty typical for Florida. They are too cheap or the residents are too stupid and oppose highways so instead we get wide artery roads which are even worse. I feel bad for anyone who walks in that area, pure swampland suburbia.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:25 AM   #9768
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

No need to get defensive, i'm not saying that Canada is any better, it has plenty of bad roads for pedestrians as well.

Suburban Florida is one of the most anti pedestrian locations I have ever seen though, it is almost scary. Subdivisions surrounded by walls with gated access points, its not uncommon to not have a street crossing for over 2km, roads with 50-55mph speed limits, triple left turn lanes, left turn overpasses, etc. The street network is a traffic engineers wet dream, but a pedestrians nightmare.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM   #9769
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

I-39/90/94 - US 151 interchange in Madison, WI:

(Bridge re-decking ongoing)

Suburbanist, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by brewerfan386; July 2nd, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:39 AM   #9770
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Suburban Florida is one of the most anti pedestrian locations I have ever seen though, it is almost scary. Subdivisions surrounded by walls with gated access points, its not uncommon to not have a street crossing for over 2km, roads with 50-55mph speed limits, triple left turn lanes, left turn overpasses, etc. The street network is a traffic engineers wet dream, but a pedestrians nightmare.
I noticed many Florida neighborhoods are woefully poorly integrated. They were just developed near or next to each other without connecting them into a single suburban structure, save for a major arterial. Orlando may be the worst.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:25 PM   #9771
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Whoops

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:49 PM   #9772
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
This is very true. I will say that Florida itself isn't very pedestrian friendly. For example with the weather being as hot and humid as it is now I'm not walking anywhere lol. Then there are those subdivisions built on swamps which feel like hell to walk in for 7 months of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed many Florida neighborhoods are woefully poorly integrated. They were just developed near or next to each other without connecting them into a single suburban structure, save for a major arterial. Orlando may be the worst.
This is another true and terrible thing here. Developers save money by making as few entrances/exits as possible while selling "private neighborhoods" and so on. Orlando may seem the worst since it has a lot of newer style sprawl. This is just a result of developers plopping down a subdivision and running away with the money without a care in the world how the new neighborhood will be.

FM 2258 liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:21 PM   #9773
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
This is another true and terrible thing here. Developers save money by making as few entrances/exits as possible while selling "private neighborhoods" and so on. Orlando may seem the worst since it has a lot of newer style sprawl. This is just a result of developers plopping down a subdivision and running away with the money without a care in the world how the new neighborhood will be.
I think people who buy homes in places like that are as guilty as the developers. Basically developers sell people what people want.
The so called "secure" and "exclusive" enclaves rather than proper neighbourhoods.
It sounds better, it creates false sense of security and exclusivity and most people buy to this crap. Especially the fresh transplants to that sort of lifestyle.
Especially people from the old style cities of the North East or European (Brits for example)
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM   #9774
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Whoops
I wonder how many times it happened with ONLY. There have been several instances of SOTP instead of STOP...

You'll never expect a traffic light on an interstate. Yes, that I-180 shield is correct. This is in Cheyenne WY.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:15 PM   #9775
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Governor Quinn Unveils I-74 Section Renaming for Former U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood by Illinois Department of Transportation, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Airman Kris™ liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #9776
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:

No bicycles in Florida ?! I am not so sure you are familiar with south Florida, southwest in particular. I have family in the area and visit regularly, I am hoping to get some photos of the roads for the thread on my next trip.

Many arterial roads and access roads in Florida have been developed in areas which can be incompatible at times with pedestrian traffic(walkers/runners, golf carts, and bikes.). Granted many of the pedestrian accidents are caused by carelessness by both sides. People must pay attention.

In the picture below you have what is I believe is highway 867 through south downtown Fort Myers, not sure. As you can see it has an excellent pedestrian crossing and wide seperated sidewalks. This is common in the Fort Myers area and many other parts of SWFL. Bikes are so common in pedestrian traffic there that the city buses have bike racks that stay full.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:04 PM   #9777
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Kris™ View Post
Bikes are so common in pedestrian traffic there that the city buses have bike racks that stay full.
You mean all 2 or 3 spots?
Is that already surprising?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:09 PM   #9778
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
You mean all 2 or 3 spots?
Is that already surprising?
The buses in Fort Myers have the abilty to carry around ten bikes. It is surprising to see that much bike traffic in any east coast city. Sadly we Americans have not adapted to proper infrastructure for bike travel, nor have many of us used it even if being able to afford a vehicle . Only a few cities such as San Francisco have done so brilliantly .

keokiracer liked this post
Airman Kris™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:16 PM   #9779
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10, SH 99, Houston, TX

The I-10 / SH 99 stack interchange in Katy, a suburb of Houston. This stack interchange was recently completed.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:50 PM   #9780
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Kris™ View Post
The buses in Fort Myers have the abilty to carry around ten bikes. It is surprising to see that much bike traffic in any east coast city. Sadly we Americans have not adapted to proper infrastructure for bike travel, nor have many of us used it even if being able to afford a vehicle . Only a few cities such as San Francisco have done so brilliantly .
By coincidence, twice in the last week or so on my way home from work I've seen people (one each occasion) loading their bikes onto the little carriers attached to the front of city buses. And I've looked at it, figured it could hold two or three bikes, wondered what they do if the first one who gets off is the one whose bike is under someone else's... Basically thinking it's a nice system but if more people started, well commuting by bike + bus is I guess what they're doing, we'd need changes to accommodate that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban