daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #961
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Only in the USA will the government spend billions on roads specially for their nice view.
There's nothing wrong with that though. Why should scenic areas not be easily accessible to major expressways? Why should expressways have to have ugly scenery?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #962
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
There's nothing wrong with that though. Why should scenic areas not be easily accessible to major expressways? Why should expressways have to have ugly scenery?
Of course, I would rather drive on a highway with a nice view than on one with nothing to see *cough* NJ Turnpike *cough*. But the idea that you drive on a parkway like how you take a walk in a park, and how the government legally designates the land as a park land, and how there's often a freeway that runs parallel to a parkway, can't be found anywhere else. It indicates that the road is built purely for pleasure to drive on, rather than a means to travel.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #963
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
[IMG]image hosted on flickr
Does anyone remember the 80s TV show "Who's The Boss", starring Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano? Some scenes in the opening titles showed a road that looked a bit like the one above, with stone arch bridges and lots of trees. I wonder if it's that one, or one of the others shown in this thread?
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #964
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

If you take a look at www.northeastroads.com, you'll see that there are a lot of similar bridges on parkways around New York City.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #965
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
If you take a look at www.northeastroads.com, you'll see that there are a lot of similar bridges on parkways around New York City.
That's right...
Here's a view from the Grand Central Parkway in New York:

Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #966
rick1016

Don Valley Parkway, Toronto

rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #967
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Of course, I would rather drive on a highway with a nice view than on one with nothing to see *cough* NJ Turnpike *cough*. But the idea that you drive on a parkway like how you take a walk in a park, and how the government legally designates the land as a park land, and how there's often a freeway that runs parallel to a parkway, can't be found anywhere else. It indicates that the road is built purely for pleasure to drive on, rather than a means to travel.
that is so true; New Jersey Turnpike was veeeeery boooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #968
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
that is so true; New Jersey Turnpike was veeeeery boooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
When the NJ Pike was built the idea was to get it finished as quickly as possible and make it as efficient as possible- which is one of the reason's it's so straight. I think they discovered over the years that motorists need a little variety or else you'll get drivers in a daze and that can't be good
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #969
fredru$

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I don't know where you live, and if you ever drove on one of the parkways in NYC area, and if you did, was it during rush hour? But let me tell you, those parkways are tipical commuter roads - meaning, they serve people, living in suburbs to travel to work in NYC. Outside rush hour they are quite a pleasure to drive on, but during the peak traffic hour, they are so congested, that sometime you barely move - it's not a pleasure at all.

Übersetzung / translation:
Schlesien wuchs hier immer in Macht und Kraft, mit dem ihm treuen Breslau.
Polen war nicht immer da, bleibt aber schon für immer.

Silesia always grew in strength here with faithful to her Wroclaw. Poland not always was here, but will stay here forever.

Last edited by fredru$; August 9th, 2007 at 03:04 PM.
fredru$ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #970
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

I've never heard of a parkway before...?
Wait, is the abbreviation PKW stand for parkway? If so, I feel very stupid then.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #971
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Only in the USA will the government spend billions on roads specially for their nice view.
Most of the parkways (well, at least in the Northeast) were built back in the twenties when it wasn't as expensive and cars were still used more for "pleasure" than for commuting as opposed to now. I wouldn't be suprised if they cost more than $5m in their dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredru$ View Post
I don't know where you live, and if you ever drove on one of the parkways in NYC area, and if you did, was it during rush hour? But let me tell you, those parkways are tipical commuter roads - meaning, they serve people, living in suburbs to travel to work in NYC. Outside rush hour they are quite a pleasure to drive on, but during the peak traffic hour, they are so congested, that sometime you barely move - it's not a pleasure at all.
True...the Hutchinson River Parkway, for example, is hell during the day.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #972
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345 View Post
I've never heard of a parkway before...?
Wait, is the abbreviation PKW stand for parkway? If so, I feel very stupid then.
Usually something like pkwy, but maybe pkw too

PKW in German means PersonenKraftWagen (car). Coincidence only cars are allowed on parkways?
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #973
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Heres some more photos of Garden State Parkway.

In the Pascack Valley

Near Paramus , New Jersey the Saddle Brook Northbound Tolls

A side Toll Plaza

The New York Thurway extension of the Garden State parkway

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #974
fredru$

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot
True...the Hutchinson River Parkway, for example, is hell during the day.
Hi TenRot. I used to live in Manchester Ct. before I moved to Philly.
I remember they were rebulding I-91/I-84 junction. I also remember they were planing to make pedestrian passage over I-91, and make Connecticut river bank accessible for pedestrians. I've never had chance to see the effect of the venture, do you have a pictures of the finished works? I would appreciate if you posted them here, and if you had an aerial photos of that junction, that would be the best.

Übersetzung / translation:
Schlesien wuchs hier immer in Macht und Kraft, mit dem ihm treuen Breslau.
Polen war nicht immer da, bleibt aber schon für immer.

Silesia always grew in strength here with faithful to her Wroclaw. Poland not always was here, but will stay here forever.
fredru$ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #975
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
The thing is the whole area is a nice view. The whole East Coast used to be beautiful, lush forest, and still has much of that as you can see.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #976
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Palisades Parkway in New Jersey looks very attractive on Google Earth. I didn't know the Hudson riverbanks were actually high cliffs north of the George Washington Bridge.
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #977
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Hi TenRot. I used to live in Manchester Ct. before I moved to Philly.
I remember they were rebulding I-91/I-84 junction. I also remember they were planing to make pedestrian passage over I-91, and make Connecticut river bank accessible for pedestrians. I've never had chance to see the effect of the venture, do you have a pictures of the finished works? I would appreciate if you posted them here, and if you had an aerial photos of that junction, that would be the best.
Hey! A fellow citizen of Greater Hartford!

Are you talking about Founder's Bridge, and the Riverfront Recapture?

They have built a nice pedestrian bridge above I-91 that connects downtown to the Connecticut River. In addition to the older one that connected some more isolated area to Riverfront Park. But that has been there for YEARS. It's basically on the side of the Route 2 bridge.

As for the rebuilding of the I-91/84 junction, they did some work on it a while back, but it looks the same.

I can't find any good photos of an aerial for those particular spots, but I will compensate that with this downtown aerial. You can see the interchange if you look hard enough.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #978
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
The Palisades Parkway in New Jersey looks very attractive on Google Earth. I didn't know the Hudson riverbanks were actually high cliffs north of the George Washington Bridge.

Here's the GWB anchored at Fort Lee, NJ:

image hosted on flickr

And then, farther up the Hudson, from the Tappen Zee Bridge:

image hosted on flickr
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #979
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 753

Highway to the Arctic in North America? Being touted around again...

Arctic sovereignty is becoming a hot-button issue in Canada and a highway is being touted again - for the first time in 50 years. Right now there is only a river to the towns of Inuvik and Tuktoyuktuk - everything is barged in or use the winter roads: roads made of ice. The winter roads are becoming less feasible so there is also growing demand to build highways that far north. The question is: who's going to populate the highways as those highways go through so pretty uninhabited land. We probably can reach a deal with the Dene Nation so that they can have some extra cash.

==========================

Time to build 'road to Tuk,' Harper told
John Diefenbaker Promised Arctic Highway In 1958

Randy Boswell, CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Northwest Territories Premier Joe Handley is renewing calls for the federal government to keep a promise made almost 50 years ago by former prime minister John Diefenbaker and build a permanent highway to the Arctic Ocean.

Amid the uproar last week over Russia's flag-planting expedition to the North Pole seabed, Mr. Handley told CanWest News Service that completing his territory's long-dreamed-of "road to Tuk" -- a year-round, all-weather route linking the coastal town of Tuktoyaktuk to southern Canada via the Mackenzie Valley Highway -- would mean far more than any Russian submarine dive, showing the world this country is serious about reinforcing its presence and asserting its sovereignty in the North.

Mr. Handley calls the planned road to the town of 950 residents "the final step in connecting Canada's three coasts," and has argued that "a highway to the Arctic would help assert Canadian sovereignty over Canadian Arctic waterways as shipping routes become increasingly accessible."

Vehicles can reach Tuktoyaktuk only in winter over ice roads, and even the highway routes that end hundreds of kilometres short of the Arctic coast involve the use of ferries to cross various waterways.

A $700-million plan to build bridges and complete the highway to Tuktoyaktuk, to be funded largely by the federal government, calls for about 1,000 kilometres of road construction across frozen tundra and along the Mackenzie River.

The new route would extend the Mackenzie Valley Highway from the town of Wrigley to the Dempster Highway near Inuvik before the final link to Tuktoyaktuk -- envisioned as the future Canadian outlet for tens of billions of dollars worth of Beaufort Sea and Mackenzie Delta gas and oil.

During the election campaign that brought the federal Conservatives to power in January, 2006, Mr. Harper wrote to Mr. Handley and said his party "supports the concept" of a Mackenzie Valley Highway extension and was "prepared to discuss details regarding the cost, timing and funding of this proposal."

Decrying the federal government's "lack of real action" on Arctic issues, Mr. Handley said an unbroken road to the polar sea would be a fitting symbol of Canada's Arctic aspirations, and a critical step in "ensuring there's adequate infrastructure" for both future development and for the thousands of people already living in the North.

After Russia's seafloor touchdown at the pole on Thursday, Mr. Harper said the feat showed that Arctic sovereignty "is going to be an important issue as we move into the future" and that his government will continue to "put a real emphasis" on the North.

Mr. Handley said the federal government's claim that the Arctic is a top priority needs to be backed up by consistent "support for infrastructure and economic investment" across the North, adding that an eventual deep-water port at Tuktoyaktuk -- at the western gate to the Northwest Passage is also worth pursuing.

The road was first envisioned in 1958 as part of the Diefenbaker government's "Roads to Resources" strategy, but the planned highway stalled in the 1970s when the proposed Mackenzie Valley Pipeline was shelved amid controversy over its possible impact on native communities and the environment.

© National Post 2007
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #980
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

The Pasadena Freeway in LA County is really the Arroyo Seco Parkway, but it wasn't made for a scenic view through a park, it was made for transportation between Los Angeles and Pasadena.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban