daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #9781
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

again, I'm not saying that all of Florida is like that. Some parts of Florida can be absolutely incredible for pedestrian activity and bike use. (Sanibel Island for example)

however, from my personal experience the more typical Floridian road is more like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@26.53919...pnGF5_Zokw!2e0

Now imagine trying to use that "bike lane" as a cyclist.. that is the reason why they still ride on the sidewalk.

bus bike racks typically hold 2 bikes at the front. The ones in Toronto can hold 2 and both bikes can be removed at any time. (they don't block each other)

That said, from my experience they are rarely used and when they are it is a cyclist using one of the more rural routes heading out to a small town to access some trails, instead of actually using it as transportation.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; July 4th, 2014 at 12:34 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #9782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-96, Livonia, MI

I-96 is completely closed in both directions from March to October this year for a full-depth renovation. The entire freeway is torn out and replaced by new concrete.

It is located in Livonia, a western suburb of Detroit. The closed segment is 7 miles long. This stretch of freeway had eight lanes and opened to traffic in 1971.

This is a pretty rare situation, where a major urban freeway is shut down for over half a year in both directions. The AADT on this stretch is approximately 150,000 vehicles per day.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

brewerfan386, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #9783
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
By coincidence, twice in the last week or so on my way home from work I've seen people (one each occasion) loading their bikes onto the little carriers attached to the front of city buses. And I've looked at it, figured it could hold two or three bikes, wondered what they do if the first one who gets off is the one whose bike is under someone else's... Basically thinking it's a nice system but if more people started, well commuting by bike + bus is I guess what they're doing, we'd need changes to accommodate that.
Absolutely ! It is a neat system and Fort Myers had to adjust to the amount of bikes being transported, so that is where the five-rack system in the front and back were introduced.

About how the bikes are unloaded if one cyclist's bike was loaded before another one has also been changed in Fort Myers - From what I have seen I believe it is a simple lift system. That cuts out having to unload each one by one.
Old July 5th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #9784
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
again, I'm not saying that all of Florida is like that. Some parts of Florida can be absolutely incredible for pedestrian activity and bike use. (Sanibel Island for example)

however, from my personal experience the more typical Floridian road is more like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@26.53919...pnGF5_Zokw!2e0

Now imagine trying to use that "bike lane" as a cyclist.. that is the reason why they still ride on the sidewalk.

bus bike racks typically hold 2 bikes at the front. The ones in Toronto can hold 2 and both bikes can be removed at any time. (they don't block each other)

That said, from my experience they are rarely used and when they are it is a cyclist using one of the more rural routes heading out to a small town to access some trails, instead of actually using it as transportation.
Highway 41 first of all through Fort Myers, specifically the area you referenced should not even be 6-lanes as once you pass Daniels Pkwy and the mall area traffic decreases tremendously, but this is simply just my opinion I thought I would share.

The bike lane you referenced should obviously be on the right-side of the turn-lane. Where it is located now is extremely dangerous to cyclist and drivers, but most concerning is that the cyclist has to watch for general traffic and the turn lane traffic. As for the buses, as I said in a previous post, city bus systems have different bike carrying capacity according to use; Fort Myers happens to have 10 spots.
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #9785
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I think people who buy homes in places like that are as guilty as the developers. Basically developers sell people what people want.
The so called "secure" and "exclusive" enclaves rather than proper neighbourhoods.
It sounds better, it creates false sense of security and exclusivity and most people buy to this crap. Especially the fresh transplants to that sort of lifestyle.
Especially people from the old style cities of the North East or European (Brits for example)
You would be correct because we have plenty of people here with that mentality.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #9786
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I-96 is completely closed in both directions from March to October this year for a full-depth renovation... This is a pretty rare situation, where a major urban freeway is shut down for over half a year in both directions. The AADT on this stretch is approximately 150,000 vehicles per day.
Indeed. It's a lot more feasible in a moribund city like Detroit.

That's not entirely fair. The corridor itself has continuous frontage roads, and metro Detroit has a nice, even one mile grid of arterials that can provide alternate routes. No way something like this would work in Atlanta, though.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #9787
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Detroit has a very good highway network capacity wise. That and a shrinking population means they can handle a shut down like this.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #9788
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

I can imagine travelers not familiar with the area are having a hard time though.
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #9789
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Detroit has a very good highway network capacity wise. That and a shrinking population means they can handle a shut down like this.
It's not really that shrinking, it's 150 000 vpd AADT

But yeah, the network probably has enough redundancy to not make chaos of huge magnitude... we hope

But I am curious why complete shutdown (look how the frontage roads are down to 1 lane it appears), instead of tearing apart one carriageway at a time?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #9790
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Very crazy how they are closing an entire highway length for several months. Around here (CT), there was a giant fuss when a section of I-84 (not even more than 2 miles) was shut down last weekend because of a exit overpass replacement.

By colloquial opinions (never been there), the highways in Michigan are in bad shape, so this is probably for the best.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #9791
EMArg

Likes (Received): 30497

Some shots of the freeways in Los Angeles:

Argentina - Brazil - Chile - Colombia - Italy - Panama - Perú - Uruguay
Boston - New York City - California

Mr.Johnson liked this post
EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #9792
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It's not really that shrinking, it's 150 000 vpd AADT

But yeah, the network probably has enough redundancy to not make chaos of huge magnitude... we hope

But I am curious why complete shutdown (look how the frontage roads are down to 1 lane it appears), instead of tearing apart one carriageway at a time?
I think it may have to do with how the road is constructed below the surface, each lane may be supported by the other through a column system depending on the terrain.
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #9793
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sometimes it's better to shut down a road than try to keep a minimum amount of lanes open. If you do that, people will continue to try to get by and leading to excess congestion. If you have a dense network, you can easily shut down a freeway over a weekend instead of installing an expensive workzone with traffic zooming by.

Closing down I-96 all together is 18 times cheaper than to install a work zone with traffic passing by on a reduced number of lanes ($ 0.5 million vs $ 9 million). That said, shutting down an entire freeway for such a long time is pretty rare. 150,000 vehicles is a significant amount of traffic that has to be detoured.
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #9794
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

There was that famous closure on I-405 in Los Angeles a couple of years ago. Over a weekend, if memory serves. Everyone was calling it "Carmageddon" in advance, then apparently it wasn't as bad as predicted....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #9795
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There was that famous closure on I-405 in Los Angeles a couple of years ago. Over a weekend, if memory serves. Everyone was calling it "Carmageddon" in advance, then apparently it wasn't as bad as predicted....
If I am not mistaken it ended up being completely desolate . The media prevented the very thing they were making people fret about for months.
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #9796
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Carmageddon was just a weekend. People typically make less essential trips during the weekend, so it's easy to alter your plans for a weekend. However, a long multi-month shutdown is different. You can't expect people to take a leave for half a year. Especially along I-96 in Livonia is a major business corridor.
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #9797
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Newark Bay Bridge - I-78

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #9798
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35E, Dallas, TX

The I-35E elevated toll lanes, part of the LBJ Express Project, opened to traffic last night.

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #9799
sotonsi

Even dealing with the deception of the camera, that looks undulating and twisty.

I can understand it on the ground-level route: climbing over cross streets, but the changes in elevation and lateral movement on the elevated route seem pointless.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #9800
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
I can understand it on the ground-level route: climbing over cross streets, but the changes in elevation and lateral movement on the elevated route seem pointless.
They're toll lanes.

Not toll lanes based on being able to pass traffic but tolled because they're like a rollercoaster
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban