daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #9801
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The photo shows over 2.5 mile of distance. The flyover in the background is approximately 2.7 miles from the photo standpoint.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #9802
sotonsi

I kind of assumed that. Even with that there still seems to be lots of pointless up and down and left and right on those elevated lanes.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #9803
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Perhaps they're designed to make drunk drivers throw up.

Seriously, they might not be uglier than the elevated ring road in Mexico City. but they're close.

EDIT: Reposting photo on this page, for convenience

Last edited by Tom 958; July 21st, 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #9804
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

without even seeing the previous page, I figure you guys were talking about the LBJ express toll ramp picture from the DMN. When you're actually driving on I-35E, they look pretty flat. The undulation is very gentle and generally follows the I-35E exit ramps, not the cross streets. Very similar to the ramps on the High Five's North and East side that undulate with the streets belowWhat you don't get to see are the huge flyovers they've built over the existing I-35E/I-635 interchange, which was already a tall stack.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #9805
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

To clarify I believe the last pic is looking south, and those elevated lanes are not toll but merely the new separated exit/entrance lanes to/from TX12-I-635. Separated because the weaving of northbound TX12 traffic to eastbound I-635 on I-35 is what caused backups in the first place. This correct?
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #9806
rantanamo

Correct on both ends. That would be a serious time saver for someone headed from 635 to loop 12 or I-35E. That's for more tempting IMHO than the I-635 toll lanes as you said, that weaving is pretty much a guranteed traffic jam in the evenings and mornings. This jumps right over it at a guranteed 50mph.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:08 AM   #9807
Ders453

Likes (Received): 70

Luki_SL, FM 2258, SRC_100 liked this post
Ders453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:45 PM   #9808
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-77 Express Lanes, NC

I-77 Managed Lanes Existing Central Section by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr

I-77 Managed Lanes Proposed Central Section by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #9809
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Visit the New Jersey Section

SRC_100, lafreak84, geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #9810
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

H1 Honolulu

H-1 Kaimuki by jcc55883, on Flickr

sweet-d, lafreak84, geometarkv liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #9811
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

Why two emergency lanes? One on the left, one on the right side of each direction?
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #9812
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Shoulder width: Minimum outside paved shoulder width of 10 feet (3.0 m) and inside shoulder width of 4 feet (1.2 m). With three or more lanes in each direction, the inside paved shoulder should be at least 10 feet (3.0 m) wide.

They are usually a bit creative with the shoulder widths, especially in urban areas. Many left shoulders in Greater Los Angeles have been converted into HOV lanes.
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #9813
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

HOV? What does that mean?
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #9814
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A carpool lane. HOV = High Occupancy Vehicle. These lanes are common in many urban areas in the U.S. Several of them are converted into toll lanes due to the low usage (selling excess capacity to solo drivers).
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #9815
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
Why two emergency lanes? One on the left, one on the right side of each direction?
As Chris mentions, it is because the road is built properly

One thing very good about left emergency lane... if you have a flat tire on the left side of car. I once had a flat on left side, and no emergency lane on left, at midnight in middle nowhere, this sucks and is dangerous.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #9816
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Shoulder width: Minimum outside paved shoulder width of 10 feet (3.0 m) and inside shoulder width of 4 feet (1.2 m). With three or more lanes in each direction, the inside paved shoulder should be at least 10 feet (3.0 m) wide.

They are usually a bit creative with the shoulder widths, especially in urban areas. Many left shoulders in Greater Los Angeles have been converted into HOV lanes.
In LA, the roads are like crap to drive on. I haven't taken out a tape measure, but subjectively compared to the rest of the country, the lanes seem very narrow. No matter how many lanes they build, the expressways are congested at all hours. I rarely go out because it takes 3 hours to get anywhere.

A lot of the interchanges here - while they may look cool on aerial views - are poorly designed and extremely confusing for the motorist. This is especially true if you are passing through areas like Glendale, Pasadena, or downtown LA
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #9817
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most Los Angeles freeways were built in the 1960s and early 1970s with eight lanes and left shoulders. Starting in the late 1980s or early 1990s, they converted left shoulders into HOV lanes, but the left shoulder is not wide enough for that, so they had to narrow and move the existing lanes as well. It doesn't help that some freeways still have the original concrete pavement.
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #9818
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

California also seems to have in general really short and fast merging highway ramps, even way out in the exurbs/newer areas. I'm used to the massively long highway ramps from the Midwest.

The city with the best expressways IMO is Phoenix. They have huge capacity roads that rival what you see in California and Texas. But the pavement quality, engineering, planning, design, traffic flow, and general user-friendliness is superior to California and the scenery/fun factor driving through Phoenix is better than the big cities of East Texas. They're also impeccably clean. In LA, there's crap all over the sides of the roads like a Third World country.

fredcalif, Natomasken liked this post

Last edited by Paddington; July 26th, 2014 at 11:21 PM.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #9819
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Why don't they connect the new loop 202 with the existing loop 101 and new loop 303 with the existing route 60 to make a complete west-east connection?
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #9820
rantanamo

My impression of Phoenix was pavement was smooth, and just nice clean freeways with great landscaping in place. They didn't build to the level of new Texas or Cali urban freeways though. Everything seemed more like you see in the exburbs of Houston or Dallas instead of something like Central Expressway, I-10 or I-635. I remember I-10 making me think of a wider PGBT in North Dallas(also a wide ROW witt extensive landscpaping). Perhaps that's just bad memory. I would still give Houston a big edge. Its just another level of freeway building. Perhaps when some of these bigger projects in DFW are done, they can move up that elite ladder. Right now there's just too much older mileage. Some of the current projects and recently completed projects are pretty epic though

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban