daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #9821
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
Why don't they connect the new loop 202 with the existing loop 101 and new loop 303 with the existing route 60 to make a complete west-east connection?
I asked myself exactly the same question when I saw this proposal. Although I can only guess, the answer is probably that the favourable corridor which leads directly to the I-10/101 junction hasn't been safeguarded and is now at least partly developed which makes it necessary to join I-10 further east.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #9822
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
California also seems to have in general really short and fast merging highway ramps, even way out in the exurbs/newer areas. I'm used to the massively long highway ramps from the Midwest.

The city with the best expressways IMO is Phoenix. They have huge capacity roads that rival what you see in California and Texas. But the pavement quality, engineering, planning, design, traffic flow, and general user-friendliness is superior to California and the scenery/fun factor driving through Phoenix is better than the big cities of East Texas. They're also impeccably clean. In LA, there's crap all over the sides of the roads like a Third World country.

by far the best, and I have been all over the country.
the only state I will compare to AZ is Texas with big and high quality freeways

the worst by far and in southern CA and in the north east.

I love driving on the Phoenix freeways, they are just clean, good rubberized pavement and good landscaping and it the system is growing by the day.

we are not done yet. there is many more to come in the next 10 years.

Natomasken, nick.english.dept liked this post
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #9823
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
California also seems to have in general really short and fast merging highway ramps, even way out in the exurbs/newer areas. I'm used to the massively long highway ramps from the Midwest.

The city with the best expressways IMO is Phoenix. They have huge capacity roads that rival what you see in California and Texas. But the pavement quality, engineering, planning, design, traffic flow, and general user-friendliness is superior to California and the scenery/fun factor driving through Phoenix is better than the big cities of East Texas. They're also impeccably clean. In LA, there's crap all over the sides of the roads like a Third World country.

[YOUTUBE]ZHP82X9-LFo[YOUTUBE]

[IMG]http://www.azmag.gov/archive/itsystems/images/fms_pic2_lg.jpg[IMG]
You're lucky you never had to drive through Phoenix in the 1980s when they only had three freeways. I-10 was ok but the Black Canyon Freeway was traffic hell and drivers on the Superstition Freeway were unbridled homicidal maniacs.

nick.english.dept liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #9824
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

so are they really going to do that part of 202 that would go past gila river reservation where would phx have a legit beltway?

I was under some impression that was not tenable politically or something.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #9825
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

The Loops 101, 202, and 303 were never intended to be circular loops like Washington's Capital Beltway. And they do form a circuit with the other highways that they terminate in.

With the highways that they built they did an excellent job anticipating the needs of the people. I had no problem getting around the Phoenix metro area.

A highway to Las Vegas would be nice and is in the works.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #9826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-405, CA

I-405 Project to Deliver Measure M Promise, Caltrans Intends to Phase in HOT Lanes

The Orange County Transportation Authority was informed today by Caltrans that the I-405 Improvement Project should include the Measure M commitment of one regular lane in each direction and add high-occupancy toll lanes at a later date.

This stretch of the I-405 carries more than 370,000 cars a day and that number is expected to increase approximately 35 percent by 2040.
Press release: http://octa.net/newsstory-freeways.aspx?id=4053

This means I-405 will first be widened from 10 to 12 lanes (all free) and later from 12 to 14 lanes, including 2 HOT lanes each way, by adding a new toll lane and converting the existing HOV lane into a HOT lane.

The Seal Beach segment will feature 18 lanes of traffic. The forecasted AADT is 500,000 vehicles per day.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

nick.english.dept liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #9827
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Interstate 280 at the Stickel Draw Bridge in Newark,NJ
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Typical Rush Hour on I-280 Westbound in Harrison,NJ
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #9828
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
In LA, the roads are like crap to drive on. I haven't taken out a tape measure, but subjectively compared to the rest of the country, the lanes seem very narrow. No matter how many lanes they build, the expressways are congested at all hours. I rarely go out because it takes 3 hours to get anywhere.

A lot of the interchanges here - while they may look cool on aerial views - are poorly designed and extremely confusing for the motorist. This is especially true if you are passing through areas like Glendale, Pasadena, or downtown LA
As someone who was in LA recently and has driven on many different highways across the country it really isn't that bad. During rush hour LA traffic is bad but I managed to get around pretty fast the rest of the time. The lanes in some areas seemed slightly narrower but nothing too noticeable. The interchanges are old and have outdated designs but are still pretty cool to look at. The downside is the interchanges add to the traffic problems.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 05:52 PM   #9829
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10 Mobile, AL

A render of the planned bridge across the Mobile River in Mobile, Alabama.

http://www.mobileriverbridge.com/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100, ttownfeen, geometarkv liked this post
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:10 AM   #9830
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

I-49 in Louisiana, taken during my trip in April

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM   #9831
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Gorgeous stretch of freeway. I like it when there is wide median with trees, almost feels like you're on a 2-lane country road doing 75 mph....I guess technically it would be a 2-lane road out in the country.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM   #9832
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Gorgeous stretch of freeway. I like it when there is wide median with trees, almost feels like you're on a 2-lane country road doing 75 mph....I guess technically it would be a 2-lane road out in the country.
Yep, such rural interstates are fantastic.

Here something different, Atchafalaya Basin Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_Basin_Bridge

Surrounding landscape

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:16 PM   #9833
geogregor

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:18 PM   #9834
geogregor

The End
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:14 AM   #9835
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Yep, such rural interstates are fantastic.

Here something different, Atchafalaya Basin Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_Basin_Bridge

Surrounding landscape

I love Lousiana Bridges over those Bayous, I enjoyed driving there is like out of this world
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #9836
miniviews

Likes (Received): 32

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...oahu-commuters

Completed "H1 Rehab" project in Honolulu now has 4 lanes in each direction with 10 feet widths.

Underconstruction "H1 PM Contraflow" project:
- Pearl City viaduct construction to add a PM shoulder lane.
- Aiea re-striping for a PM shoulder lane.
- Additional lane into Waipahu/Waikele from H1/H2 split.

Last edited by miniviews; August 5th, 2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add link to local news report, if possible.
miniviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #9837
CharmCity1

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniviews View Post

Completed "H1 Rehab" project in Honolulu now has 4 lanes in each direction with 10 feet widths.

Completed version

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/EW_E...bor_Route.html
http://smartgrowthmd.wordpress.com/2...-inner-harbor/
http://baltimorearchitecture.org/201...-in-the-1960s/
That's good news for you guys. The importance in planning freeways cannot be overstated. In the very early highway boom of the early 40s late 70s Baltimore would study 12 plans many of which the majority of people are glad did not get built.
This map shows the proposed expressway system in downtown Baltimore as of 1960. The elevated expressway viaduct that passed through the south edge of the CBD along the north edge of the Inner Harbor.
The Inner Harbor Bridge was a key feature of both proposals. It would cross the Inner Harbor on a 6- or 8-lane fixed bridge with 50 feet of vertical navigational clearance; that is the height requested by the Maryland Port Authority, and it was agreed upon by the highway planners. Tall ships with masts as high as 95 feet still used the Inner Harbor, and these would be blocked by the bridge. Second pic is Seattle.

The Jones Falls Expressway (JFX I-83) taken from the name of the branded stream it runs over. In the 1960s, Baltimore neighborhoods like Mt. Vernon, Federal Hill, and Fells Point were all in danger of serious disfigurement in the name of the Interstate Highway system. Among other strategies, highway planners were proposing to level Federal Hill, build an elevated highway along the Fells Point and Canton waterfronts, and “enhancing” the experience of the Washington Monument by creating a highway scenic loop around Mt. Vernon place.

Historic and beautiful Mount Vernon place in the present foreground I-83 elevated expressway in background.

Baltimoreans worked together to rescue the city from this potential fate thankfully the JFX was forced to end at President Street in downtown. In other cities today they are removing these elevated freeways to claim their waterfronts. If we had built this we would have had something similar to Seattle, Chicago, and Boston (hence Big Dig) which opted for tunnels instead of bridges.
Proposed and incomplete I-70 extension known as the highway to nowhere now being used for the construction of the proposed red line light rail.

I-83 today

Today

Last edited by CharmCity1; August 6th, 2014 at 05:30 AM.
CharmCity1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #9838
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniviews View Post

These are important upgrades. Honolulu has long been in the top 3 most congested cities in the United States.

The segment around Downtown that has been widened to eight lanes carries 200,000 vehicles per day, that is a lot even for eight lanes.

If I understand correctly, the PM Contraflow project;
* eliminated the zipper lane
* thus providing 5 eastbound lanes at all times
* added a 5th permanent lane westbound
* added a 6th shoulder lane westbound

I wonder what the AADT on this stretch is. It could be in the 200,000 - 250,000 range.
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #9839
miniviews

Likes (Received): 32

h1 PM contraflow

http://www.pmcontraflow.com/overview.html

From an observer, PM contraflow project is strictly to add a shoulder lane for west bound traffic at the Halawa interchange (7 lanes to Pearl City exit) and Pearl City viaduct (6 lanes between Pearl City onramp and Waipahu offramp). In addition 4 lanes to Waikele at H1/H2 split.

There is an AM zipper lane that takes two lanes from west bound traffic with H1 west split down to one lane at the H1/H2 merge. And the morning west bound traffic does backup into Aiea.
miniviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #9840
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Interstate 10, Houston, Westbound approach at night

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban