daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:30 PM   #9881
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Go away
How about you go away yourself?

At least come with an argument will ya?

It's a discussion forum, not a go-away-forum
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #9882
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I-99 is now signed in New York, from the Pennsylvania border to Painted Post (Corning area). I-99 is still not signed between Williamsport and the New York border, and still has the "Future I-99 corridor" signs up.

Northbound

Southbound

Is it supposed to end permanently at Painted Post, or will it take over 390 and run up to Rochester?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:32 PM   #9883
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-285/SR 400

Behold! The Most Expensive Road Project in Georgia History

Quote:
At a crowded public meeting in Dunwoody on Tuesday, state road officials revealed new renderings and information about the revamp of the SR 400/I-285 interchange. The project aims to keep the 400,000 cars that pass through the junction every day moving by adding flyover bridges, access roads and more width to existing bridges. The finished product isn't quite as knotted up as the infamous Spaghetti Junction, but it's close. Four levels of flyovers (Spaghetti Junction has five) will twist over and under one another, and barrier-separated collector-distributor (CD) lanes will be built along both highways. "Braided" ramps will be constructed around Ashford Dunwoody and Roswell roads, and about two miles of improvements would take place between the Glenridge Connector North to Hammond Drive.

The interchange improvements, when combined with the Georgia-400 CD lanes project, will leave the state with a bill for around $1.056 billion.
80 parcels of land (many with houses) will have to be acquired to proceed with this project:

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:53 AM   #9884
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I'm guessing the acquisition of property is the reason for the high cost?
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:45 AM   #9885
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
How about you go away yourself?

At least come with an argument will ya?

It's a discussion forum, not a go-away-forum
How are you even supposed to respond/argue with what he says?

"In Europe we have this, in Europe we have that". Gets nauseating after a while
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:33 AM   #9886
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I'm guessing the acquisition of property is the reason for the high cost?
No doubt. Some very large developments are slated to go in nearby including what may become the tallest suburban office tower in the US. Land values have skyrocketed in this very desirable area.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:00 AM   #9887
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

It's news to me that that area was very old. I thought from only looking at maps/google it was early post-war residential with a topping of 80s office sprawl? I guess Atlanta was bigger than I thought in the old days. Cool.

How old must the buildings in such an area be to become eligible for historical designation?

Anyways that headline "this will the most expensive road in Georgia history" combined with that rendering must be meant to be ironic; because it's not that impressive looking(but then considering where I'm from, heh)

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:29 AM   #9888
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
It's news to me that that area was very old. I thought from only looking at maps/google it was early post-war residential with a topping of 80s office sprawl?
That's exactly what it is.

Quote:
How old must the buildings in such an area be to become eligible for historical designation?
About that old, apparently. I think it has to do much more with with an abundant supply of lawyers and disposable income in the area than with the historic value of utterly unremarkable '50's subdivisions.

Quote:
Anyways that headline "this will the most expensive road in Georgia history" combined with that rendering must be meant to be ironic; because it's not that impressive looking(but then considering where I'm from, heh)
I think it's a case of everything being too damn expensive these days. The required new right of way is clearly marked on the maps, and except for those two midrise '80's office buildings at Peachtree Dunwoody Road, it's in small slivers. Meanwhile, as I noted above, the fifty year old bridges carrying Roswell and Ashford Dunwoody Roads over I-285 will remain, and to me it appears that the ones carrying 285 over Glenridge and Peachtree Dunwoody will, too-- I don't see even incidental widening of those roads, and they've already crammed as many lanes under those bridges as possible. Check out Streetview on Glenridge under 285 and you'll see what I mean.

This scheme represents a huge downscoping from the concepts developed under Revive 285, with two lane HOT roadways in each direction, a transit corridor, and interchanges with room for them. Of course, those concepts are from those halcyon pre-crash days when it was thought that HOT lanes could more or less pay for themselves.

zaphod liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:01 PM   #9889
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
How are you even supposed to respond/argue with what he says?

"In Europe we have this, in Europe we have that". Gets nauseating after a while
Try explaining why it's different in the US... Just an idea...
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #9890
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

Quote:
Try explaining why it's different in the US... Just an idea...
Maybe the person making the initial claim should explain why it's better in Madrid, since apparently that's what he's claiming.
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #9891
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBasquiat View Post
Maybe the person making the initial claim should explain why it's better in Madrid, since apparently that's what he's claiming.
He did. he said there was more Public Transport in madrid. And then as a counter argument you could say that there's good PT in Texas (which tbh there isn't) or you could explain why Public Transport isn't an option in Texas. Which it isn't (or at least less) due to the very big cities with relatively low amount of people per square km/mile. The more people per km² the more effective PT can be. The desnity is what lacks in Texas making PT unviable and roads wider.

Reasoning isn't that difficult, you know...
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #9892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Most of I-610 West Loop is actually narrower than M-30 in Madrid. It is the most congested stretch of highway in Texas (and apparently no real plans to unclog it).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #9893
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I am surprised they did not decide to build a stack interchange on that site similar to the one at I-85/I-285. Those interchanges can take up much less space and can even be shoehorned between properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most of I-610 West Loop is actually narrower than M-30 in Madrid. It is the most congested stretch of highway in Texas (and apparently no real plans to unclog it).
Given the cost of real estate there and the fact that I-610 is surrounded by development including a few high rise buildings and Houston's most prestigious mall, I don't think it would be feasible to expand that road similar to what was done on either I-10 or US 290 just from the cost of appropriating land alone.

Last edited by diablo234; September 4th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #9894
Protteus
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Likes (Received): 188

Hi guys, does anybody know what are these marks on the road?
I see them quite often when I drive on the freeway.

[IMG]http://i58.************/24ce2v4.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Protteus; September 4th, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
Protteus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #9895
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Induction loops for traffic management maybe?
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #9896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

They are induction loops to detect traffic. It can be for various reasons, such as traffic counting or detecting traffic that approaches a traffic signal. These look like they were built in after the road was paved. Today's induction loops don't need to be at the surface anymore, if you pave a (new) road, you can't see those loops anymore.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Protteus liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #9897
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
He did. he said there was more Public Transport in madrid. And then as a counter argument you could say that there's good PT in Texas (which tbh there isn't) or you could explain why Public Transport isn't an option in Texas. Which it isn't (or at least less) due to the very big cities with relatively low amount of people per square km/mile. The more people per km² the more effective PT can be. The desnity is what lacks in Texas making PT unviable and roads wider.

Reasoning isn't that difficult, you know...
Or that Texas road department listens to the people who rather drive than use PT
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #9898
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

In Ontario at least the induction sensors at intersections are typically visible as a small black square, with whatever that material is. (tar?)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #9899
divide by zero

Likes (Received): 1

WRT to the 610 West Loop in Houston, would it be possible to do what LA did with a few stretches of freeway (eg. I-110 south of downtown) - build more lanes on top of the existing road. Sure it's expensive, but widening seems out of the question. And at least Texas doesn't have to worry about earthquakes.
divide by zero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #9900
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

That is sort of what Dallas is doing to the LBJ freeway right now, and what San Antonio did with some stretches of urban freeway in the 90s/00s? Austin has had a "double decker" section of I-35 for a long time.

Because yeah, that's what the west loop area needs, another decade of construction

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban