daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #9921
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
of course it is I-5. I-90 at exit 164 is not in Seattle, but somewhere in the desert.
Since when is Ohio a desert? Look up exit 164 on Interstate 90, and you end up in Cleveland. Lakewood, McKinley Avenue to be exact.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #9922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Exit numbers (& mileage) reset to 0 at each state line crossing. So Exit 164 could occur numerous times at I-90 (or other Interstate Highways), not only in Ohio (or Washington).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #9923
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Exit 164 in the Washington desert.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #9924
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Since when is Ohio a desert? Look up exit 164 on Interstate 90, and you end up in Cleveland. Lakewood, McKinley Avenue to be exact.
you made me laugh.

geogregor liked this post
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #9925
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

I always thought the interstate exit numbers continued on across state borders, my mistake.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #9926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Indiana Toll Road

The Indiana Toll Road Concession Company will seek 'restructuring' (newspapers call it a bankruptcy) on Monday. The toll road will continue to operate as normal.

The lease of the toll road was sold for $ 3.8 billion in 2006. It was a 75-year lease. They officially cite the recession as a reason for the lack of toll revenue, but I've read that the real problem is electronic tolling.

On the Indiana Toll Road, cash users pay more than twice as much tolls as users of the transponder. This was originally only the I-Zoom transponder, however, they joined E-ZPass in 2009, meaning much more traffic uses a transponder (and lower tolls) as a result. They couldn't charge higher tolls to out-of-state E-ZPass users, so a much larger proportion of traffic pays the discounted toll rate than originally planned, resulting in less toll revenue.

The Indiana Toll Road has one of the lowest toll rates in the U.S. The E-ZPass rate is only $ 4.65 for the entire 152 mile trip, that's only 3 cents per mile. Cash users pay $ 10.00 for the same 152 mile trip.
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:43 PM   #9927
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

I-10 in Louisiana, this time going west.

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 03:16 PM   #9928
geogregor

Old September 21st, 2014, 03:20 PM   #9929
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What's the pavement quality in Louisiana? I remember some guy complaining about the poor quality of Interstate Highways in Louisiana (especially I-10).
Old September 21st, 2014, 05:08 PM   #9930
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What's the pavement quality in Louisiana? I remember some guy complaining about the poor quality of Interstate Highways in Louisiana (especially I-10).
I would say average. I didn't spot anything particularly wrong with Louisiana's interstates.
Old September 21st, 2014, 06:44 PM   #9931
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The only thing I get is New Yorkers complaining about Jersey drivers... Michael, you're originally from NJ, right? This must mean you're a shit driver
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 07:49 PM   #9932
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
As someone who has lived in Louisiana for a few years I found the pavement quality in general is pretty poor in my experience although cities such as Baton Rouge and New Orleans rebuilt a lot of their interstates so it is much improved compared with before in those areas.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM   #9933
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-96 Jeffries Freeway, Detroit, MI

I-96 opens early between US-24 and I-275

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) today announced the reopening of I-96 between US-24 (Telegraph Road) and Newburgh Road in Livonia more than two weeks early. The announcement was made today as Gov. Rick Snyder, state officials and members of the community gathered together on the freeway for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and walk.

I-96 was closed in early April to allow crews to reconstruct the 7-mile stretch between US-24 (Telegraph Road) and Newburgh Road near I-275. Known as "The 96fix," work included rebuilding 56 lane miles of freeway, repairing 37 bridges, reconstructing 26 ramps, and new lighting and utilities. The project area runs through the Redford Township and Livonia communities.

http://www.96fix.com/
Full press release: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,...7873--,00.html
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:15 PM   #9934
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Florida express lanes

An extensive article by the Miami Herald about tolled express lanes in the state of Florida.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le2198345.html

In the next decade, Florida’s biggest cities will add toll lanes to the state’s busiest expressways. One hundred sixty-nine miles of toll lanes will arrive across the state in a series of projects that will be under construction until 2021, adding multiple toll lanes in South Florida, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville.

A typical way of thinking;
As for whether the money being spent on toll lanes could be used on mass transit, Prasad, the transportation secretary, says commuter rail lines don’t do enough to ease highway congestion.
Whether commuter rail could or can't relieve highway congestion is not an answer to this question. The question itself shows the person who asked it doesn't know much about toll roads.
It is asked as if this money is on the table right now, and can be spend for any purpose. These multi-billion figures are bonds that are repaid for by toll revenue. So, no this money could not be used for mass transit (or any other purpose), simply because this money doesn't exist.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:11 PM   #9935
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Its a brilliant plan for the upper class in Florida. The state has a weak middle class with a lot of wealthy and poor people. For example in Miami the toll lanes became so popular they raised the toll rates higher and will continue to do so. For people with money its not a problem but for the broke middle class person it sucks. Florida is poorly planned and most of its infrastructure is years behind so traffic congestion is always going to be there and only get worse.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:22 AM   #9936
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Why would it suck? If you transfer rich people out of the general lanes then the general lanes should work better, and the lower income people don`t have to pay supplemental taxes they otherwise would have. If you think about it the concept is uber-progressive since the thing is essentially a super-roadtax paid by rich and impatient people.

Anyway the answer is simple, just be more rich
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:26 PM   #9937
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If traffic volumes across the entire facility continue to grow, congestion will get worse, and tolls will get higher to a point only the super rich can afford it. I think toll lanes are necessary to fund large-scale reconstruction and widening projects, but I'm not sure if it is the answer to all future traffic problems.

fredcalif, I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #9938
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
If traffic volumes across the entire facility continue to grow, congestion will get worse, and tolls will get higher to a point only the super rich can afford it. I think toll lanes are necessary to fund large-scale reconstruction and widening projects, but I'm not sure if it is the answer to all future traffic problems.
I agree with you, I just read an article about Miami being the poorest city out of the 25 largest metro area after Tampa which also happen to be in Florida.

at least here in Arizona we don't have to pay tolls, we rather pay more taxes than have to pay tolls everywhere we go
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:14 PM   #9939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Gas taxes are a cheaper way to fund road projects, because the government doesn't have the higher financing cost that private concession companies have. For example the I-595 express lanes in Florida cost $ 1.8 billion to construct, but a total of $ 4 billion including financing cost over 30 years.

In general, governments are able borrow money cheaper than private companies. A toll road is still possible cheaply if there is a state agency operating it. For example in Denmark they are going to build a 12 mile undersea tunnel to Germany, it is financed through tolls, but the bonds are backed by the government, which results in lower financing cost (and thus lower tolls).
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM   #9940
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

The problem with these express toll lanes is that they take up space and in the end little or no capacity is added to the main lanes. In fact I've seen a few cases where they reduced capacity on the main lanes which is wrong.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban