daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #81
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

The Netherlands have the densest highwaynetwork in the world, 2350km highway on 40.000km2 land with 16,3 million people.

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #82
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Thats not really saying much considering how small the country is.
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #83
SoHo~
All bout Sex and The City

Likes (Received): 0

I dont see why ppl keep saying interstates sucks , They dont . US has the best highway systems in the world !!! we can drive from east coast to west coast !!! , you can go anywhere by car !!
SoHo~ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #84
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHo~
I dont see why ppl keep saying interstates sucks , They dont . US has the best highway systems in the world !!! we can drive from east coast to west coast !!! , you can go anywhere by car !!
Not for much longer by the look of the oil situation.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #85
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Interstates are expensive to maintain. Plus, the whole bidding-process brings highway maintainance and construction in most areas of the US to a snail's pace. What the country desperately is a revitalized network of regional rail systems.

I don't understand where these car hogs get the idea that driving is fun. I hate driving! You sit in a car for hours and hours while your eyes die from looking at highway and your body cramps from sitting and sitting and sitting. At least on a train or plane you can walk around when it suits your fancy.

Edited because I have brain-to-typing-finger issues.

Last edited by ttownfeen; November 9th, 2005 at 12:53 AM.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #86
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen
Interstates are expensive to maintain. Plus, the whole bidding-process brings highway maintainance and construction in most areas of the US to a snail's pace. What the country desperately is a revitalized network of regional rail systems.

I don't understand where these car hogs get the idea that driving is fun. I hate driving! You sit in a car for hours and hours while your eye die from looking a highway and your body cramps from sitting and sitting and sitting. At least on a train or plane you can walk around when it suits your fancy.
haha..........there are people who love driving like myself. I love it. I got to drive for 6 hours on Interstates 20 and 35 over the weekend and I loved every minute of it. I had my favorite relaxing music going, the A/C running cold and just took in the sights and sounds of the Interstate. One thing I love about Interstates is that you get to see alot of large trucks.

Interstates are so relaxing. I love crusing on them at 85mph. People think driving is boring but it amazing that the road could be so smooth and efficient that travelling long distance actually has a chance to be boring. Back in the horse and buggy days there was no time to be bored because there was alot of shit you had to deal with like mosquitos, mud, river crossings, attacks, nasty bugs, heat, cold and whatever else. Now we can sit in a comfortable seat with climate control, and we can cross rivers, creeks, lakes, rough terrain all the while bugs giving us trouble when they hit our windshield.

I love driving, it's so much fun. In Texas, driving on Interstates and Farm Roads are the best.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #87
michal-skoczen

Likes (Received):

One word to describe this: amazing
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #88
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 7

What's the meaning of the prefix SR (like in SR55) as seen on the pics from LA above?
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #89
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako
What's the meaning of the prefix SR (like in SR55) as seen on the pics from LA above?
SR = State Route which basically means its not an interstate, it was built and is run by the state and local transportation authorities (in this case the OCTA and CalTrans)
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #90
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20252

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHo~
Can you get into Area 51 or drive up to Point Barrow using the interstates? The US has a good road network but I don't see why you all think it's so different to that in other countries.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #91
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

Gotta love those carpool lanes.

Does anyone have pics of The Harbor Freeway (I-110), with its elevated carpool lanes and kick-ass interchange with the Century Freeway (I-105)?
Old November 13th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #92
PotatoGuy

Here ya go Naga:

Last edited by PotatoGuy; November 13th, 2005 at 05:57 AM.
PotatoGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #93
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

That stuff is what makes our country great.
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #94
mr_storms

Wait....i think i saw a caternary pylon in the first photo which would mean.....public transportation in la??????????????wtf? Lol jk but nice photos
mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #95
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I find it interesting that California puts barbed wire around some of their highway signs.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #96
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

The first pics of Tampa look outdated they widened and still are widening that area.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #97
PotatoGuy

i hate outadated pics... they should update all pictures on the internet once a week
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #98
Brighter Hell

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
One thing I love about Interstates is that you get to see alot of large trucks.
there's nothing i hate more about highway driving than big trucks. especially when they try to pass each other on 4-lane highways and use the fast lane! i like driving but there are definite drawbacks.

Quote:
Now we can sit in a comfortable seat with climate control, and we can cross rivers, creeks, lakes, rough terrain all the while bugs giving us trouble when they hit our windshield.
sounds like train travel to me north america needs some decent high speed rail systems that would make freeways look antiquated. that would kick ass.
Brighter Hell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #99
TO_Joe
Curious Traveler

Likes (Received): 1

This thread is just sad.

Highways are just ugly and monotonous pieces of concrete that takes up lots of room, heats up and pollutes the city, interferes with social interaction, and is the most ****ed up and wasteful way to transport people in urban areas with millions of people.

It is even a stupid way to transport people in intercity areas within a 500 mile radius -- like the US Northeast, LA to SFO, Dallas to Austin, Chicago to Detroit / St. Louis / Indianapolis / Milwaukee corridors.

None of the shots show the reality of life on many of the highways for most people.

Ever been on the 405, I-10 or 110 at rush hour in Los Angeles? And rush hour means 3 pm - 7 pm and an equivalent morning one. Or even around Chicago -- I-88 on a Saturday afternoon going outbound towards Naperville? Or the tolls from Philadelphia to NYC on I-95 and crossing the Holland Tunnel taking 2 hours and over $15 while enshrouded in smog with signs urging you not to drive because of high ozone alert in July?

I haven't even started on the maintenance of some of the highways. They have much improved since the really miserable days of the mid-80s, particularly in locales like Buffalo and the North-East. But there are still pothole-ridden traps around everywhere.

I mean I think the US Interstate system is an impressive piece of engineering and helped the US develop.

But it causes problem as well. While it may be nice if you are a teenager and take your parent's car for a spin after school, but when you are FORCED to commute and drive in heavy traffic for hours day in and day out in the same route whether you like it or not to get to work (never mind the pollution, the costs, insurance, bad drivers, exposure to accidents).

Sorry man. Perhaps I'm just too old. I'd rather be chauffered in an efficient train or bus and walk around in my neighbourhood to meet friends.
TO_Joe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #100
great prairie

YOU SO SMART DUDE !!!!!!!!!!
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban