daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #981
Rufus

Likes (Received): 15

The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through the Appalachian Mountains, specifically the Blue Ridge, and spans North Carolina and Virginia. It is the longest and narrowest National Park in the world. It is also world famous for its beauty with such sites as the Linn Cove Viaduct, Linville Falls, Mt. Mitchell, Maybry Mill, Pilot Mt., and numerous small farms.
Rufus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #982
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The Sprain Brook Parkway in Yonkers (one of the larger suburbs of New York), has in the Sprain Ridge Park an entire lake in it's median. The Grassy Sprain Lake. Northbound lanes are going east by the lake, southbound lanes go along the western side. There are even 3 adjacent freeways in Yonkers within 1 mile;
Saw Mill River Parkway
New York State Thruway
Sprain Brook Parkway

Within 2 miles of that, there are another 2 north-southfreeways adjacent; the Bronx River Parkway and the Hutchinson River Parkway. (the first not completely being to freeway standards).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #983
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Funny, on top of the I-95 in Manhattan are actually 4 tall residential buildings. I don't know their exact height, but i think they are over 100m tall.

[IMG]http://i12.************/4tg772u.jpg[/IMG]

I-95 Northbound just after the George Washington Bridge
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On Staten Island, there is an partially build interchange with some never-build expressway and the I-278 Staten Island Expressway.

This unbuild expressway should have been the Richmond Parkway.

[IMG]http://i14.************/68b07sm.jpg[/IMG]

I-278 near the ghost interchange on northern Staten Island.
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #985
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
Don Valley Parkway, Toronto

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I am aware of about it, the DVP would almost certainly be a full interstate if the Toronto area was in the USA. IIRC, it is a normally designed '400-series' freeway that happens to pass through a large park in central Toronto.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #986
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways

Quote:
Interstate Highways in the 48 contiguous states. Purple routes are currently built and open freeways, blue are currently open spur routes, and green indicates proposed routes, future roads, or those currently under construction.
Quote:
The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways, commonly called the Interstate Highway System, is a network of highways (also called freeways) in the United States. The Interstate Highway System is a separate system within the larger National Highway System. The entire system, as of 2004, had a total length of 46,837 miles (75,376 km).
National Highway System

Quote:
The National Highway System (NHS) of the United States comprises approximately 160,000 miles (256,000 kilometers) of roadway, including the Interstate Highway System as well as other roads, which are important to the nation's economy, defense, and mobility. The NHS was developed by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) in cooperation with the states, local officials, and metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs).

Components
The National Highway System (NHS) includes the following subsystems of roadways (note that a specific highway route may be on more than one subsystem):

Interstate - The Eisenhower Interstate System of highways retains its separate identity within the NHS.

Other Principal Arterials - These are highways in rural and urban areas which provide access between an arterial and a major port, airport, public transportation facility, or other intermodal transportation facility.

Strategic Highway Network (STRAHNET) - This is a network of highways which are important to the United States' strategic defense policy and which provide defense access, continuity and emergency capabilities for defense purposes.

Major Strategic Highway Network Connectors - These are highways which provide access between major military installations and highways which are part of the Strategic Highway Network.

Intermodal Connectors - These highways provide access between major intermodal facilities and the other four subsystems making up the National Highway System.
Strategic Highway Network

Quote:
The Strategic Highway Network (STRAHNET) is a system of highways in the United States designated as critical for national defense purposes. It includes the Eisenhower Interstate System and is part of the larger National Highway System.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #987
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

You forgot I-69 from Mexico to Indianapolis.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #988
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

But most of that hasn't been built yet...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #989
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot View Post
But most of that hasn't been built yet...
Green indicates proposed routes, future roads, or those currently under construction.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #990
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

You have a point there...sorry about that.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #991
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

It's really interesting that the main reason for building the Interstate Highways is for the defense of our country. If Eisenhower is still alive, he must be really glad that the interstate highway system played a vital role to our economy and to the american way of life.
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #992
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
It's really interesting that the main reason for building the Interstate Highways is for the defense of our country. If Eisenhower is still alive, he must be really glad that the interstate highway system played a vital role to our economy and to the american way of life.
It was called that so it would pass Constitutional muster. Eisenhower wanted them for commerce (military was a side reason), but to get past the Constitution's internal improvements limitations he had to sell the system as a defense-related thing (although I firmly believe that it would have passed any Supreme Court challenge under the 'post Offices and post Roads' clause).

Without the I-system, the USA would today have a very disjointed mess of state highway systems, some well developed and some not and MANY not properly connecting with each other at state lines (See Canada for an example) and a LOT of state and privately developed cross-country tollways (ie, the Chicago Skyway/Indiana Toll Road/Ohio Turnpike/Pennsylvania Turnpike/New Jersey Turnpike).

A 'national unity' aspect to the I-system cannot be over emphasized, too.

The USA would be a far different place indeed without them.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; August 13th, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #993
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I'm usually an advocate of small government, but the interstate system was one of the best federal projects ever.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #994
andres_1234
Tempera Solita

Likes (Received): 7

I Have a Question...
Which is the Speed Limit on a Highway?
Plz say it in Km/h
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #995
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres_1234 View Post
I Have a Question...
Which is the Speed Limit on a Highway?
Plz say it in Km/h
The general interstate (and similar) highway speed limits in the USA vary by state, anywhere from about 80 km/h in HI and DC up to 130 km/h in parts of TX. Most are in 105-120 km/h range. The general trend in recent years has been towards increasing the limits, too.

The level of enforcement also varies as much as the limits.

Mike
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #996
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I'm usually an advocate of small government, but the interstate system was one of the best federal projects ever.
I agree. I've been from Austin to Houston many times but I tried driving on U.S. 90 instead of Interstate 10 as much as I could and I think traveling would be hell if it wasn't for the Interstate system. Also when you're on an Interstate it feels like you're in another dimension. I guess that's why they call roads in the city "surface" streets.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #997
Sabretooth
Proud Paultard

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The burden of maintaining interstates has fallen to the states because the federal government has abrogated its duty to pay for the upkeep of the nation's roads.

The federal government has the resources to take care of the nation's road infrastructure, states have big problems coming up with the needed funds, which is why they push back and scale down road construction and improvement projects.
While I'm usually not one to defend the Federal government, that's really not true. State DOTs do produce and administer and contracts for interstate roadway construction/reconstruction and provide maintenance, but it's largely Federally funded (usually 80%). And that's the way it should be; the Feds are too cumbersome to provide direct oversight themselves. Things would be far worse...

And regarding speed limits - they were instated in large part due to the oil crises of the 1970s. If I'm correct, the state of Wyoming has forgone years of Federal monies because of their refusal to adopt it. All the arguments of safety and everything else aside, vehicle fuel mileage generally drops precipitously after 60-70 mph.

www.CampaignforLiberty.com - 1776 > 1984. Truth is treason in an empire of lies.
Sabretooth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #998
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The general interstate (and similar) highway speed limits in the USA vary by state, anywhere from about 80 km/h in HI and DC up to 130 km/h in parts of TX. Most are in 105-120 km/h range. The general trend in recent years has been towards increasing the limits, too.

The level of enforcement also varies as much as the limits.

Mike
also on non-interstate roads (no freeway-like roads.)?
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #999
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
also on non-interstate roads (no freeway-like roads.)?
Most non-freeway (I call them 'surface') road and highway speed limits top out at about 90 km/h. Local streets are often in the 30-70 km/h range depending on location, design and traffic loads.

Wisconsin and many other states have four-lane non-freeway highways posted at about 105 km/h.

Some two-lane highway speed limits do top out in the 110 km/h range in the more wide-open western states, too.

Mike
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #1000
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Lake Ontario State Parkway that runs westerly along the southern shore of Lake Ontario from Rochester

http://www.canhighways.com/NY/LOSP.htm

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban