daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #10101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-74, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

NCDOT Awards $154 Million Contract to Build First Section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway in Forsyth County

The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $154 million contract to build the first section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway. Work on the 4-mile section of the eastern part of the Beltway between U.S. 158 and U.S. 421/Business 40 can start as early as December 1. The road should be open to traffic by Nov. 1, 2018, with final vegetation work done by April 30, 2019.

Eventually, the Beltway will provide a 34-mile multi-lane freeway around the northern side of Winston-Salem. The rest of the eastern section of the Beltway will connect U.S. 311 southeast of the city to U.S. 52, and will become a part of the I-74 corridor when finished. The western section will continue around to U.S. 158 on the southwestern side of the city.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=10485

map of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway. The contracted segment is in area 4 (US 158 to Business 40).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #10103
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95, Jacksonville, FL

A nice video of Interstate 95 through Jacksonville, Florida.

Old November 12th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #10104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-265, Louisville, KY

The Interstate 265 (East End Crossing) under construction in Google Earth (imagery dated September 23, 2014)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling, Penn's Woods, geometarkv liked this post
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #10105
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9720

bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #10106
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Future Interstate 11 construction, US 93 southeast of Kingman, AZ (northernmost section of undivided highway, looking southbound):

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #10107
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

How long are those undivided sections?

Are all of them under construction?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #10108
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
How long are those undivided sections?

Are all of them under construction?
there is no much left to build, I would say about 8 miles in that area and then from Wickenburg to the Santa Maria River another 25 miles

everything else from Phoenix to Las Vegas is divided almost freeway standard
fredcalif está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #10109
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

The Boulder City Bypass still has to be built.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #10110
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Arizona is going to have to do a lot of work to get it upgraded to interstate standards, its mostly dual carriageway but it isn't anywhere close to grade seperated.

The initial phase of the actually signed I-11 will likely run to the Hoover Dam from Las Vegas, and end just over the Arizona border.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #10111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-895, Baltimore, MD

Five-year construction project on I-895 north of Harbor Tunnel to begin 2016

$290 million construction project to replace a large elevated section of Interstate 895 north of the Harbor Tunnel will begin in 2016 and last five years — causing considerable traffic congestion in the process.

The section, known as the Canton Viaduct, was first targeted for replacement years ago, but the project languished amid limited budgets, toll battles and shifting notions on the design for reconstruction.

(...)

The 60-year-old elevated highway is the MdTA's last piece of infrastructure considered structurally deficient. It requires frequent maintenance and portions need upgrades to meet new highway safety standards, the MdTA said.
Full report: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...113-story.html

$ 290 million to replace a ¾ mile long bridge...

I wonder if it isn't viable to shut the highway down entirely and replace it in 2 years instead of 5. Sure, it would cause traffic headaches, but so will the current plan.
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #10112
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The initial phase of the actually signed I-11 will likely run to the Hoover Dam from Las Vegas, and end just over the Arizona border.
Both the Nevada stretch of the Hoover Dam bypass and I-515 east of I-215 were conditionally approved as Future I-11 in May.

I believe signs are up, but cannot be certain. There are 'Future I-11 corridor' signs northbound at Kingman, and southbound at I-40 exit 71.

Certainly the first road signed as I-11 (albeit for a day) was the Hoover Dam (not bypass)!

FM 2258, NFZANMNIM liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #10113
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

When I drove through there in June I saw future I-11 signs.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #10114
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Five-year construction project on I-895 north of Harbor Tunnel to begin 2016

$290 million construction project to replace a large elevated section of Interstate 895 north of the Harbor Tunnel will begin in 2016 and last five years — causing considerable traffic congestion in the process.

The section, known as the Canton Viaduct, was first targeted for replacement years ago, but the project languished amid limited budgets, toll battles and shifting notions on the design for reconstruction.

(...)

The 60-year-old elevated highway is the MdTA's last piece of infrastructure considered structurally deficient. It requires frequent maintenance and portions need upgrades to meet new highway safety standards, the MdTA said.
Full report: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...113-story.html

$ 290 million to replace a ¾ mile long bridge...

I wonder if it isn't viable to shut the highway down entirely and replace it in 2 years instead of 5. Sure, it would cause traffic headaches, but so will the current plan.
Christ sakes, I was just about to post how happy I was that the I-95 toll lane project in the area was almost done. The hits just keep coming.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #10115
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Almost the entire section from Kingman to Wikieup or Wickenburg is divided. There's 3 or 4 sections where it's undivided two-lane road, typically for about 5 miles or so.

The bypass around Hoover Dam is up and has exits, but south of that, all the way to Kingman, it's semi-limited access. Are they going to upgrade that whole stretch just to build exit ramps for places like Dolan Springs and Chloride?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #10116
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2610

Nice
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-78, Bayonne, NJ

Turnpike Exit 14A to get a $160 million makeover

A $159.9 million contract was awarded by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority board of commissioners today to Union Paving & Construction Co. Inc. of Union to rebuild and improve Exit 14A to Bayonne and Route 440. Union had the lowest price of seven bidders on the project.

Construction is scheduled to start early next year and be completed in Fall 2018.
full report: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/..._makeover.html

Expensive!

plan:
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #10118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-164, Evansville, IN

I-164 Renamed to I-69 by End of Year

Later this week, Indiana Department of Transportation crews and contractors will be replacing Interstate 164 signage in Vanderburgh and Warrick counties with new Interstate 69 shields. Motorists should watch for short-term lane closures as crews work along the interstate and the roads that connect with it.

The conversion will require updating approximately 70 large interstate signs at or near exits and the smaller, blue signs posted at bridges and every two tenths of a mile. Hummel Electric of Evansville is assisting INDOT with the large panel and overhead signs as part of a $1.9 million contract.

INDOT anticipates that all 21 miles of preexisting interstate highway will be renamed to I-69 by the end of this year, weather permitting. Businesses and other organizations are encouraged update their signage, maps and directions.

A year ago, INDOT announced that the Federal Highway Administration and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials approved Indiana’s request to rename I-164 to I-69. Mile markers and exit numbers on I-69 from Evansville to Crane will not be affected.
Press release: http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/Eve...tion_id=207895

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #10119
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Mile markers from I-164 are already continued on I-69
Old November 19th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #10120
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

what else is going on with I-69 outside of Indiana? Indiana is spending big money to finish their stretch of the highway, but all the other states seem to be putting in marginal efforts.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban