daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #10121
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Texas seems to be pushing their part of I-69 rather strong. Though they lack funding to quickly build long stretches of new Interstate Highway.

There are at least studies in all the other states where I-69 will run through. But most of it has been geared towards renumbering or upgrading existing highways. There have been done studies (possibly even an EIS) for the Mississippi River Bridge. From the looks of it, the Arkansas section seems to have the lowest priority, pretty much because it doesn't serve any larger cities and there is no existing corridor which could be easily upgraded like in Texas or Tennessee.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Innsertnamehere liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #10122
PinPeat

Likes (Received): 185480

I-5 widening project will connect L.A. to Orange County in a bigger way

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-ne...n-a-bigger-way
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #10123
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Today AASHTO is meeting, and a new round of changes is going to be made. On AARoads they are expecting some (future) I-11 in AZ, I-49 in LA, I-69 in TX, and I-885 in NC, but as usual surprises can come up, like I-2.

And with that I-69 mess in Southern Texas, someone proposed designate I-69U, I-69EIEIO and -69+I, and I proposed I-√69 and I-log69.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

diablo234, Professor L Gee liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #10124
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Today AASHTO is meeting, and a new round of changes is going to be made. On AARoads they are expecting some (future) I-11 in AZ, I-49 in LA, I-69 in TX, and I-885 in NC, but as usual surprises can come up, like I-2.

And with that I-69 mess in Southern Texas, someone proposed designate I-69U, I-69EIEIO and -69+I, and I proposed I-√69 and I-log69.
Too much jecking off I say...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #10125
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I-69EIEIO
That's an upgrade to Farm to Market Road 3043

Penn's Woods liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #10126
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Texas seems to be pushing their part of I-69 rather strong. Though they lack funding to quickly build long stretches of new Interstate Highway.

There are at least studies in all the other states where I-69 will run through. But most of it has been geared towards renumbering or upgrading existing highways. There have been done studies (possibly even an EIS) for the Mississippi River Bridge. From the looks of it, the Arkansas section seems to have the lowest priority, pretty much because it doesn't serve any larger cities and there is no existing corridor which could be easily upgraded like in Texas or Tennessee.
Texas is lucky in the sense that much of the right of way was already up to interstate standards to begin with in regards to the urban areas and with elsewhere along the route land values are low enough that property acquisition should not present any problems. That being said I think they should ditch the suffix routes and instead just have I-69 run directly to either McAllen or Bownsville.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #10127
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-71, Colombus - Cleveland, OH

It's a holiday miracle! State widens last four-lane stretch of I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland

The final four-lane stretch of I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland has been widened to six just in time for the holidays.

The Ohio Department of Transportation has removed construction barrels that segregated a new third lane in each direction on an 11-mile stretch of the highway between Rt. 61 and Rt. 95 in Morrow County, opening it for travel.
Full report: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...completed.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #10128
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Five-year construction project on I-895 north of Harbor Tunnel to begin 2016

$290 million construction project to replace a large elevated section of Interstate 895 north of the Harbor Tunnel will begin in 2016 and last five years — causing considerable traffic congestion in the process.

The section, known as the Canton Viaduct, was first targeted for replacement years ago, but the project languished amid limited budgets, toll battles and shifting notions on the design for reconstruction.

(...)

The 60-year-old elevated highway is the MdTA's last piece of infrastructure considered structurally deficient. It requires frequent maintenance and portions need upgrades to meet new highway safety standards, the MdTA said.
Full report: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...113-story.html

$ 290 million to replace a ¾ mile long bridge...

I wonder if it isn't viable to shut the highway down entirely and replace it in 2 years instead of 5. Sure, it would cause traffic headaches, but so will the current plan.
don't quote on me, but I heard that there are 2 main reasons for the high price tag
1. the soil there is simply former meadow or a bog, so it is pretty difficult to build on it something massive. it adds to the coasts considerably.

2. local union which is supposed to do this, is playing a tough game with the price, so there is no other way but to pay what they ask.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #10129
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Interstate 5 in Downtown Seattle

Seattle, Washington by antmayphoto, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #10130
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
don't quote on me, but I heard that there are 2 main reasons for the high price tag
2. local union which is supposed to do this, is playing a tough game with the price, so there is no other way but to pay what they ask.
Can't they like prefabricate everything outside the local union's influence area and use labour from a different state or something?
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM   #10131
rob268

Likes (Received): 1

I-35 in Iowa

Mirror's Edge liked this post
rob268 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:32 AM   #10132
GdlMty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8577

The states that were of Mexico now have an impressive infrastructure (California, Texas, Utah, Nevada, Colorado and more), I not want to imagine what it would be if they were Mexican states, our rulers have always been terrible.
GdlMty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:54 PM   #10133
sotonsi

Here's the AASHTO route numbering meeting's decisions
http://route.transportation.org/Docu...H%20AM2014.pdf

NJ and PA withdrew something about I-95, and Illinois asked for the number I-490 for the unbuilt O'Hare West Bypass. Plus a few US route bypasses and some Bike Route stuff.

sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:04 PM   #10134
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Interesting. Never seen that sort of thing before. But whatever it is that was withdrawn about 95, it's being resubmitted at a later date (it says), so I guess in the long run, it's a wash.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Top 5 Most Traveled Interstates by Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 4th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #10136
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Interesting. Never seen that sort of thing before. But whatever it is that was withdrawn about 95, it's being resubmitted at a later date (it says), so I guess in the long run, it's a wash.
It's an application to re-route I-95 onto the PA Turnpike from a new interchange over to New Jersey, taking it off of the Scudder's Falls Bridge.

Since the interchange is running behind schedule, I'm guessing they're going for a delay.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #10137
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2610

Cool
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #10138
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Does that list come as any sort of surprise? The first 4 on that list likely would have been my first 4 guesses.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #10139
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-405 West County Connectors, California

The West County Connectors project in California is now practically completed. The new HOV ramps will open soon.

I-405 features 8 lanes in each direction between CA-22 and I-605.

nick.english.dept, geometarkv liked this post
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #10140
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

So that's seven passing lanes each way?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban