daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #10181
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Oh, no! Now North Carolina will feel the need for an I-36 or -38!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #10182
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
An Interstate (or at least a freeway) between the state's capital and its largest city would make sense, just on principle. How many states don't have that, I wonder (except maybe some states with very small capitals).
It would be nice to have a full freeway between Austin and Houston. Luckily there are two ways to get to the Houston area from Austin via US 290 or Texas 7 and IH 10 so for now not having a freeway seems to work fine for now. I've never been in a crazy traffic jam taking either way coming from or to Houston.

I'd rather see money spent on a high speed rail line between Houston and Austin but that's for another thread. For now just placing overpasses at traffic light intersections on 290 and 71 will make them function like full freeways.

zaphod liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #10183
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Quote:
I'd rather see money spent on a high speed rail line between Houston and Austin but that's for another thread. For now just placing overpasses at traffic light intersections on 290 and 71 will make them function like full freeways.
Based on simple observation, you'd only need to upgrade a few portions of 71 to make it an almost-freeway. Just upgrade the stretch around the airport in Austin near Del Valle, and build two or three overpasses in Bastrop, and it would be smooth continuous driving the whole way.

The only problem is the large number of rural driveway and road connections, that would prevent it from becoming an interstate with no other changes. But then you could say the same about future I-69 in so many places.

If it did exist, what would it be signed as? 13? or could there be another piece of I-12 in Texas?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; January 14th, 2015 at 08:28 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #10184
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It's more east-west than north-south, so I'd say an even number. 1t ought to fall between 10 and 20; 14 and 18 are available.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #10185
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Houston - College Station may become a full freeway in the foreseeable future. There are plans to extend SH 249 to Navasota, where the freeway through the College Station area begins. At nearly 80 miles, it may be Interstate material perhaps.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #10186
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10, Metairie, LA

DOTD celebrates completion of I-10 widening in Metairie

Today, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Secretary Sherri H. LeBas was joined by state and local officials at Iglesia de Dios Getsemani for a ribbon-cutting ceremony marking the completion of Geaux Wider NOLA in Jefferson Parish.

This $42.4 million project widened 1.2 miles of Interstate 10 from six to 10 lanes between Veterans Memorial Boulevard and Clearview Parkway. The project also included ramp and bridge work to accommodate the widening, and construction of a sound wall along this segment. Construction began in October 2011 and was completed in December 2014 by J.B. James Construction LLC of Baton Rouge.

Currently in the design phase are two widening projects in Jefferson Parish – Williams Boulevard to Veterans Memorial Boulevard and Loyola Drive to Williams Boulevard. These projects will widen the interstate 3.5 miles and include ramp and bridge work to accommodate the widening, and build sound walls along appropriate segments at an estimated cost of $10-$115 million.
Full press release: http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administr....aspx?key=6575

I-10 has been widened in greater New Orleans in recent years. It started in the early 2000s to widen I-10 west of New Orleans from 6 to 10 lanes. The first stage was completed in 2004 according to Google Earth historical imagery.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #10187
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Based on simple observation, you'd only need to upgrade a few portions of 71 to make it an almost-freeway. Just upgrade the stretch around the airport in Austin near Del Valle, and build two or three overpasses in Bastrop, and it would be smooth continuous driving the whole way.

The only problem is the large number of rural driveway and road connections, that would prevent it from becoming an interstate with no other changes. But then you could say the same about future I-69 in so many places.

If it did exist, what would it be signed as? 13? or could there be another piece of I-12 in Texas?
Yeah, rural driveway connections will keep it from becoming an Interstate. Personally upgrading 71 to a full freeway isn't worth the cost or construction headaches. The speed limit is 75 mph for most of the way so after Bastrop and with a short 55 mph zone in Ellinger it pretty much feels like a freeway. The state has done a good job in getting rid of some traffic lights at major intersections, especially in Bastrop but from memory I can count like 6 traffic lights that need to go away after Austin. Annoying to be driving at 70-75 mph and have a light turn red.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:16 AM   #10188
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Houston - College Station may become a full freeway in the foreseeable future. There are plans to extend SH 249 to Navasota, where the freeway through the College Station area begins. At nearly 80 miles, it may be Interstate material perhaps.
Houston for the most part already has a full freeway connection to College Station since SH 6 was upgraded to full freeway status with frontage roads between Navasota and College Station and a few dedicated flyover ramps at the SH 6/US 290 interchange in Hempstead.

Extending SH 249 to Navasota would be a huge waste of money in my opinion, when that money could be used to further upgrade SH 6 to freeway status between Hempstead and Navasota.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #10189
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Actually what building 249 to 6 would accomplish is making it easier to drive from College Station to The Woodlands and IAH. And to stay on topic, it probably will NOT be an interstate. It would be built by some kind of toll road authority as is the trend in this state. But, I would like there to be public interstate money spent so such a road, which I would probably use if it existed, would be free I guess then you'd have an interstate to Waco, ultimately?

Also god damn, I have a special hate for Montgomery County sprawl. You are cruising along on highway 105 going 75 mph with nice pretty rolling cow pastures in Grimes County, then suddenly you find yourself in the sticks with a speed limit of 50 mph(enforced by the deputy characters from Smokey and the Bandit) and surrounded by ugly billboards promoting subdivisions. Soon you discover the piney woods have been replaced by hot tub showrooms and nail salons and that there are about 5325 traffic lights between you and your destination.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; January 16th, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #10190
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

I-95 Delaware Expressway bridge over Schuylkill River, Philadelphia

Near Landing by jayayess1190, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #10191
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2610

cool pic
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #10192
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

They've been doing a number Interstate freeway widening projects in northern California in recent years.

The two big ones are Interstate 80 from the I-80/Business 80 split west to the freeway bridge over the Sacramento River and Interstate 5 in northern Stockton (I-5/California 4 interchange north to Hammer Lane). They're widening both to accommodate a high-occupancy vehicle ("diamond") lane each direction and to provide larger shoulder areas for disabled vehicles.

They're also widening California 99 freeway from the California 99/California 4 junction south to Manteca, but I wouldn't technically call that an Interstate highway project.

Luki_SL liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #10193
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post

I'd call it I-510, as it would be effectively functioning as a spur of I-10.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #10194
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Quote:
New Lanes Opening On I-485 In South Charlotte

Motorists using the outer loop of I-485 between I-77 and Rea Road in Charlotte will have access to the entire new third lane in time for the Thursday evening commute. Crews have been clearing the new lane since Thursday morning. The new third lane on the inner loop of I-485 from Rea Road to I-77 is on track to be fully available Saturday morning, weather permitting.

The new lanes provide relief to one of North Carolina’s most congested roadways, serving over 115,000 vehicles per day.

The N.C. Department of Transportation originally estimated that the 9.2-mile I-485 widening project would be completed in November 2016. Construction of the $83.3 million project began in April 2013. “We’re pleased that these new lanes are available to motorists 23 months ahead of NCDOT’s expectations,” said Division Engineer Louis Mitchell.
Press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=10582
When is the missing part of the 485 loop scheduled to open to traffic?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #10195
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It has been delayed to March, according to reports in late 2014.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #10196
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
They've been doing a number Interstate freeway widening projects in northern California in recent years.

The two big ones are Interstate 80 from the I-80/Business 80 split west to the freeway bridge over the Sacramento River and Interstate 5 in northern Stockton (I-5/California 4 interchange north to Hammer Lane). They're widening both to accommodate a high-occupancy vehicle ("diamond") lane each direction and to provide larger shoulder areas for disabled vehicles.

They're also widening California 99 freeway from the California 99/California 4 junction south to Manteca, but I wouldn't technically call that an Interstate highway project.
None of these seem to be shown in openstreetmap. Is construction currently underway?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 05:36 AM   #10197
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
None of these seem to be shown in openstreetmap. Is construction currently underway?
Yes, they're currently underway. I should know--I've drive past those construction zones several times in recent months.

mcarling liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:32 AM   #10198
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Quote:
In case of Texas, Austin is quite a big state capital. It has a metropolitan population of 1.9 million. They may be the largest nearby cities not directly linked by an Interstate or any kind of freeway. (Phoenix - Las Vegas comes to mind as well...)
Not as big, but in the Northeast, the lack of a direct highway inbetween Hartford and Providence is pretty striking. I-84 was supposed to go to Providence but it was scuttled due to the path proposed going near reservoirs in RI. So you have to take the local roads US 6 or 44 which have lots of lights and sometimes can get dangerous after dark (narrow, twisting, no shoulders in portions).

Either that, or you have to go up and take the Mass Pike or down and take I-95, both routes which add lots of time to the trip...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:51 PM   #10199
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Heck, getting from Philadelphia to New York without a traffic light still takes some planning....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM   #10200
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

How does that take planning? just take the turnpike up.. Unless you are talking about the couple of lights on I-78 in Newark.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban