daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 12:13 PM   #10221
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Toll lanes proposed for I-35, Texas (15 miles from the Loop 410 South interchange to FM 1103 in Schertz) :

Read More at: http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...35-19939.shtml

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:16 PM   #10222
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-4, Orlando, FL

The 'I-4 Ultimate' project was kicked off today. It will be the largest highway construction project in the state of Florida for the next 5 years. 21 miles of I-4 will be completely rebuild and new tolled express lanes will be added. They will reconstruct 15 interchanges and build over 100 new bridges.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Tommy Boy, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:55 AM   #10223
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I-4 is one of the worst interstates in the country to drive on. It has a combination of some of the worst drivers along with high traffic volume and tourists. Definitely the worst lane discipline out of any highways I've driven anywhere. Don't let that video fool you, this project will be a mess and probably go over budget and behind schedule. FDOT failed miserably at rebuilding I-275 in Tampa which hilariously only really added 1 lane of capacity in each direction and modernized it. I wouldn't be surprised if I-4 went the same way with how complicated it is. I will be avoiding Orlando for a while.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM   #10224
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I-4 is one of the worst interstates in the country to drive on. It has a combination of some of the worst drivers along with high traffic volume and tourists. Definitely the worst lane discipline out of any highways I've driven anywhere.
I'm sorry.

Was a tourist, drove on the I4 twice. I felt the traffic was heavy but easy.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM   #10225
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-15, Nevada

A very nice video of all of Interstate 15 through Nevada (over 120 miles).

Most videos at this timelapse speed are too fast to see much, but it works really good with the wide open landscapes of Nevada.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:34 PM   #10226
Xpressway
Experto

The worst drivers I've seen in my trips to the U.S were in the I15 in Nevada.

Traffic was heavy all the way to the I10 from Las Vegas to LA and saw way too many drivers passing us in the right shoulders. Took me like 8 hours to get to LAX.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:56 PM   #10227
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressway View Post

Traffic was heavy all the way to the I10 from Las Vegas to LA and saw way too many drivers passing us in the right shoulders. Took me like 8 hours to get to LAX.
I've driven that road a few times. The traffic levels of course depend on the timing. In my opinion, an upgrade from 2x2 to 2x3 would help a lot.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM   #10228
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I believe most of I-15 in California (north of Barstow) has truck lanes on the shoulder. Are passenger cars allowed to use them? I tend to use them in Europe if truck traffic is light.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:16 PM   #10229
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe most of I-15 in California (north of Barstow) has truck lanes on the shoulder. Are passenger cars allowed to use them? I tend to use them in Europe if truck traffic is light.
Some of it does, but generally only on long uphill grades. Upgrading to a six lane cross-section would be a nicer option, as I-15 carries no shortage of traffic.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:21 PM   #10230
Xpressway
Experto

Quote:
That's correct, some sections of the I-15 have a truck lane and a right shoulder.

At some point, another driver crossed his pick up truck in the shoulder to prevent more people from passing us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I've driven that road a few times. The traffic levels of course depend on the timing. In my opinion, an upgrade from 2x2 to 2x3 would help a lot.
It was on a sunday. Traffic was very heavy all the way to the I-10 but then turned very light once I reached the city.

Thomas Sowell
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:45 PM   #10231
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-65, Louisville, KY

The new Downtown Crossing across the Ohio River in Louisville.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:24 AM   #10232
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
I'm sorry.

Was a tourist, drove on the I4 twice. I felt the traffic was heavy but easy.
The high traffic volumes are more so outside of the tourist areas in the city lol. I emphasize more so about the bad drivers on it.

Quote:

The times I used that route I never had too much of a problem. Actually the first time I ever drove on it I averaged 90-100mph just driving with the flow of traffic. The worst was probably nearly 6 hours after hitting some traffic on I-15 and then again in the "Inland Empire" driving from Las Vegas to Orange County.

Quote:
I used to them to overtake on the right when people were blocking the left lane. Seems like a common thing to do over there.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; February 3rd, 2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:00 PM   #10233
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
I used to them to overtake on the right when people were blocking the left lane. Seems like a common thing to do over there.
Then you would be in the right lane and not a truck lane
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #10234
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin145 View Post
Then you would be in the right lane and not a truck lane
No it was a truck lane. When the truck lane begins so does your opportunity to overtake all the idiots blocking the left lane and the traffic in the regular right lane.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:52 PM   #10235
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

An interest pic set of I-80 construction (now completed of course) in Oakland...

jchernin, JMBasquiat, geometarkv liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:46 PM   #10236
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
No it was a truck lane. When the truck lane begins so does your opportunity to overtake all the idiots blocking the left lane and the traffic in the regular right lane.
oh they way you said it made it sound like you where just passing the morons in the left lane and no one was in the right lane anyway

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #10237
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Is overtaking on the right permitted in every State?

Moreover, one thing that really sucks in the USA is the very low speed limits in comparison to the size of the country and the hugeness of empty and plain land. I mean when you're driving on very straight lines and do not cross any towns for hours with very few traffic, it's really boring and benumb to drive so slowly as 60-75 mph (depending on the state) . Also, you have huge straight freeways near cities with speed limits down to 40-50 mph . If it would depend on me, I would abolish speed limits immediately on most of the interstates/freeways, just like in Germany .

mcarling liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #10238
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Is overtaking on the right permitted in every State?
It's actually illegal in most states (not that that stops people).

Quote:
Moreover, one thing that really sucks in the USA is the very low speed limits in comparison to the size of the country and the hugeness of empty and plain land. I mean when you're driving on very straight lines and do not cross any towns for hours with very few traffic, it's really boring and benumb to drive so slowly as 60-75 mph (depending on the state).
A few of the more remote states do have higher speed limits, but there are fuel economy issues, and the fines from speeding tickets provide needed revenue. Not to mention wildlife (those roads aren't fenced), and other natural hazards.

Quote:
Also, you have huge straight freeways near cities with speed limits down to 40-50 mph.
If it's near a city, it's probably too heavily trafficked to raise the speed limit. It's also probably old and in need of improvement to have the speed raised. And it's probably not very straight at all, knowing what I do about American cities the only straight highway near one that comes to mind is the NJ Turnpike and that has HUGE traffic.

Quote:
If it would depend on me, I would abolish speed limits immediately on most of the interstates/freeways, just like in Germany.

For both the reasons above, and the fact that the insurance companies would never accept the liabilities, that's never going to happen.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #10239
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

but it is strange as speed limits are relatively recent innovation in various areas

Anyway even though the sign may say 65 mph doesn't mean we do not drive 95 mph!
Old February 4th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #10240
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Anyway even though the sign may say 65 mph doesn't mean we do not drive 95 mph!
Some people do but from my experience most people stays in 70-85 mph range (depending from the state) usually as a rule of thumb people drive 5-10mph above the speed limit.

People like Kanadzie who boast everywhere about driving fast, fast, fast (like he also does in the Polish thread) are a small minority.

I myself drive quite fast (I would say I'm usually in top 10% of the fastest cars on any given road) but never really do 95mph unless I'm testing my car for a few minutes on some absolutely remote road in North Dakota or Kansas.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban