daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #10241
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I start to feel uncomfortable - not in complete control - at about 75. I tend to cruise at 70 (even in places with 55-mph limits like I-95 in Pennsylvania) unless - ironically - the road is empty, in which case I'll keep closer to the speed limit so I'm not a sitting duck for a cop with a ticket quota. (And of course if the road is too crowded to do 70.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #10242
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
It's actually illegal in most states (not that that stops people).
Problem is often that people "own" their lane, they won't change it, and I even saw that most people do not react when you are flashing lights on them, as if no one understand what it's mean .

Quote:
A few of the more remote states do have higher speed limits, but there are fuel economy issues, and the fines from speeding tickets provide needed revenue.
Yes, Texas has a higher speed limit of 80 mph, but it's only for a few freeways/expressways. As for the fuel economy issues .

Quote:
Not to mention wildlife (those roads aren't fenced), and other natural hazards.
American "Super highways" = underclassed European motorway/expressways .

Quote:
If it's near a city, it's probably too heavily trafficked to raise the speed limit. It's also probably old and in need of improvement to have the speed raised. And it's probably not very straight at all, knowing what I do about American cities the only straight highway near one that comes to mind is the NJ Turnpike and that has HUGE traffic.
As mentioned previously, you got many quite "new" very straight and wide portions of I-95 with speed limits of 45-55 mph. Also, these roads are not always congested, and if you're driving by night, nearly never, and this speed limit is useless . A variable electronic speed limit display - very widespread in Europe - would be therefore very welcome.

Quote:
For both the reasons above, and the fact that the insurance companies would never accept the liabilities, that's never going to happen.
But some States, like Montana didn't had speed limits on many roads until quite recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
unless - ironically - the road is empty, in which case I'll keep closer to the speed limit so I'm not a sitting duck for a cop with a ticket quota. (And of course if the road is too crowded to do 70.)
That's stupid, and it's mean that it's only there to provide an extra "turnpike" . Popular American word applying here is "fishing" .
I heard that in Some States you may end up in jail if you are going "too fast" even on an empty straight Interstate highway. Which States are these?
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #10243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
I start to feel uncomfortable - not in complete control - at about 75.
I suppose it depends on what you're used to. The most common speed limit in Europe is 80 miles per hour, while the rest is mostly limited to 75 mph, so European drivers are used to such speeds.

I drive a small car but it feels quite comfortable at 75 mph. I go up to 85 mph if traffic is light, even got it up to 115 miles per hour one time, but that didn't feel comfortable. The tires are too small for that, and it is too light for such speeds. The car remains fairly stable though, I remember my 1990s cars where everything started vibrating if you drove it faster than 100 miles per hour.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #10244
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I suppose it depends on what you're used to....
I'm sure if I regularly drove 80, I'd be used to it in no time. But I don't think I've ever driven any place where the limit was higher than 70.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #10245
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Problem is often that people "own" their lane, they won't change it, and I even saw that most people do not react when you are flashing lights on them, as if no one understand what it's mean .
They may not understand.

Quote:
American "Super highways" = underclassed European motorway/expressways .
Now, now....

Quote:
As mentioned previously, you got many quite "new" very straight and wide portions of I-95 with speed limits of 45-55 mph. Also, these roads are not always congested, and if you're driving by night, nearly never, and this speed limit is useless . A variable electronic speed limit display - very widespread in Europe - would be therefore very welcome.
Actually, the New Jersey Turnpike's had variable speed displays for so long that they used to be in neon.

Quote:
But some States, like Montana didn't had speed limits on many roads until quite recently.
Not quite true: we had a 55-mph limit in Federal law (so no state could go higher) from about 1973 to '87. Supposedly for fuel economy. After '87, the Federal maximum was 65 for a few years. Then that went away and the states can do what they want.

That said, it was up to the states to enforce it, so if, say, Montana's governor and state police thought a 55-mph limit in the middle of nowhere was ridiculous....

Quote:
That's stupid, and it's mean that it's only there to provide an extra "turnpike" . Popular American word applying here is "fishing" .
I heard that in Some States you may end up in jail if you are going "too fast" even on an empty straight Interstate highway. Which States are these?
No idea. Jail time for speeding seems draconian to me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #10246
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I suppose it depends on what you're used to. The most common speed limit in Europe is 80 miles per hour, while the rest is mostly limited to 75 mph, so European drivers are used to such speeds.

I drive a small car but it feels quite comfortable at 75 mph. I go up to 85 mph if traffic is light, even got it up to 115 miles per hour one time, but that didn't feel comfortable. The tires are too small for that, and it is too light for such speeds. The car remains fairly stable though, I remember my 1990s cars where everything started vibrating if you drove it faster than 100 miles per hour.
However, some countries have higher speed limits, like Germany none, or Poland c. 90 mph.

I used to drive a red Mustang there, and it won't get over 113 mph because of tires being "not suitable" for higher speeds. Next time, I'll try the Camaro and the Corvette, also beautiful American cars .
Saying that, I never felt uncomfortable while driving over 100 mph, just the shadow of the "fishing" patrolman made me a bit anxious .

Also, once drove a Crown Victoria and it vibrated over 100 mph.

Last edited by John Maynard; February 4th, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #10247
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Saying that, I never felt uncomfortable while driving over 100 mph
Driving 100mph is no matter if you are used to drive 100mph, car and road are suitable.
I feel safe and comfortable while driving 150mph (240kph) with my small old Ford on German Autobahn - GPS measured, of course.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #10248
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Not quite true: we had a 55-mph limit in Federal law (so no state could go higher) from about 1973 to '87. Supposedly for fuel economy.
Not exactly. The federal law said that states with a 55mph speed were eligible for federal highway funds and that states with higher speed limits were not eligible for federal highway funds. All the states took the money and imposed stupid speed limits.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #10249
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I didn't know that. I did know that's how we got a national drinking age a decade or so later - bribing the states with highway funds. I guess the federal share of the highway budget is so high that no state would dare turn it down....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #10250
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Apparently Puerto Rico turns it down to keep its drinking age lower.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #10251
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Likes (Received): 139

Does anybody think we'll ever have an Autobahn-like highway in the US? You know, unlimited speeds in rural areas and restricted speeds in bad conditions and in urban areas? There are certainly places on our Interstates (think I-10 in West Texas) that could facilitate unlimited speeds.

DJ Technotik - Soundcloud

FM 2258 liked this post
CollegeBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #10252
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:

No idea. Jail time for speeding seems draconian to me
I think in some places what this means is that if you are going so far above the speed limit i.e 15-20mph or higher, a speeding infraction is turned into reckless driving which might be grounds for jail time.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #10253
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy View Post
Does anybody think we'll ever have an Autobahn-like highway in the US? You know, unlimited speeds in rural areas and restricted speeds in bad conditions and in urban areas? There are certainly places on our Interstates (think I-10 in West Texas) that could facilitate unlimited speeds.
Why would states and cities willingly forefit potential speeding ticket money?

Theoretically several highways in the middle of nowhere can sustain having no speed limits with no real changes in safety already. But the reason it will never ever happen is because speeding tickets generate several billions of dollars of revenue every year.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #10254
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I believe Montana had no speed limit, at least on some stretches of Interstate, before the national 55.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #10255
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
I believe Montana had no speed limit, at least on some stretches of Interstate, before the national 55.
The daytime speed limit in Montana on Interstates was "reasonable and prudent" both before 1974 and again from 1995 to 1999 (and 75mph at night). In 1999, the Montana Supreme Court decides it was too vague, so the legislature adopted the current limit of 75mph at all hours. From 1987 to 1995, Montana's speed limit was 65mph.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #10256
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Texas has 85, the highest currently in the US. Only in Germany, Poland, Bulgaria and Australia's Northern Territories you can legally drive faster.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #10257
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The daytime speed limit in Montana on Interstates was "reasonable and prudent" both before 1974 and again from 1995 to 1999 (and 75mph at night). In 1999, the Montana Supreme Court decides it was too vague, so the legislature adopted the current limit of 75mph at all hours. From 1987 to 1995, Montana's speed limit was 65mph.
Nevada also had "reasonable and prudent" before 1974
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #10258
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I'm surprised the speed limit hasn't been raised to 80 (like in neighboring Wyoming & Idaho). I would love to see no speed limit zones with split stacked signs saying "[No Speed Limit]/[Trucks 85]" since the 85mph speed limit for cars and trucks seems to be doing fine for SH 130 in Texas.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #10259
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Montana's speed limit is not very strictly enforced though, not just legally but even practically, the place makes Texas look like New York...
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #10260
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Interstate 69 within Kentucky incorporates the Julian M. Carroll Purchase Parkway, and portions of the Wendell H Ford Western Kentucky Parkway, and the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway. I've never heard of a portion of the Interstate Highway System incorporating highways with the word "Parkway" in its name? Any other such occurrences of this (which is rare)?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban