daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #10261
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'll have to think about that, but that raises another question: there are plenty of "Parkways" in the New York area, plus New Jersey and Connecticut, but except for a couple of stretches of the Garden State Parkway, I don't know if any of them allow trucks. So the other question is, are there truck-free Interstates? (Other than the Kentucky parkways, if they're truck-free...I'm not that familiar with them.)

EDIT: Interstate 376 between 79 and 76 - through Pittsburgh - follows the "Penn-Lincoln Parkway," which I don't believe prohibits trucks.
Short stretches of the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx (between "Bruckner Interchange" (95/278/295/678) and the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge) and of the Grand Central Parkway in Queens (between the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and the Robert F. Kennedy (Triborough) Bridge) are incorporated into Interstates 678 and 278 respectively. They were built before they had the Interstate designation. And don't prohibit trucks on those stretches.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 6th, 2015 at 07:19 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #10262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I'm surprised the speed limit hasn't been raised to 80 (like in neighboring Wyoming & Idaho). I would love to see no speed limit zones with split stacked signs saying "[No Speed Limit]/[Trucks 85]" since the 85mph speed limit for cars and trucks seems to be doing fine for SH 130 in Texas.
85 or even 75 mph as a truck limit would be mind-boggling in Europe. Trucks are governed at 55 mph in most EU countries and quite a number of countries have truck speed limits of 50 mph.

I understand that many transport companies in the United States don't allow truckers to drive that fast for fuel economy reasons.

Given the higher speed limits and longer hours of service (especially over a 2-week period), American truckers can drive twice as many miles as a European trucker.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #10263
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

trucks are limited to 105km/h in Ontario, but its the only place on the continent that regulates it from my understanding so the trucks have an on/off switch for the limiter, and often just don't turn it on.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #10264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quebec also mandates a 105 km/h speed limiter for trucks.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #10265
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I understand that many transport companies in the United States don't allow truckers to drive that fast for fuel economy reasons.
Wait, don't people on this forum keep saying that fuel economy isn't a justification for lower speed limits??

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #10266
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Wait, don't people on this forum keep saying that fuel economy isn't a justification for lower speed limits??
There is a difference between someone not driving at a safe speed limit, but below it, to save fuel, and having a road authority setting a lower speed limit to force fuel savings.

I think US should impose a nationwide 50mph speed limit on all vehicles with empty weight > 4 tons for safety reasons.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #10267
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

What I meant was, that people keep saying that driving more slowly doesn't actually save fuel.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #10268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Driving slower obviously consumes less fuel, but the fuel economy difference with trucks is quite big, driving 75 or 60 mph makes a big difference considering the amount of fuel they consume (usually in the 5 - 7 miles per gallon range at optimal speeds).

At 5 miles per gallon and $ 3 per gallon (diesel), driving 600 miles per day would cost you $ 360.
At 7 miles per gallon and $ 3 per gallon (diesel), driving 600 miles per day would cost you $ 260.

So one truck could save $ 100 per day. That's $ 36,500 per year. Imagine if you have a trucking company with 50 drivers. That could save the company $ 1.8 million per year.
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #10269
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
EDIT: Interstate 376 between 79 and 76 - through Pittsburgh - follows the "Penn-Lincoln Parkway," which I don't believe prohibits trucks.
Short stretches of the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx (between "Bruckner Interchange" (95/278/295/678) and the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge) and of the Grand Central Parkway in Queens (between the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and the Robert F. Kennedy (Triborough) Bridge) are incorporated into Interstates 678 and 278 respectively. They were built before they had the Interstate designation. And don't prohibit trucks on those stretches.)
Then why a Truck I-278 exists on the parallel streets of the section of Grand Central Parkway that is also I-278?

PS: Of the many proposals to kill I-238 in the other side of the country I've read, one replaced it with Truck I-580, justified by a section of I-580 in Oakland banned to trucks.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #10270
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Wiki:

"The Grand Central Parkway has a few unique distinctions. First....Second, it is one of the few parkways in the state to allow truck traffic to any extent. The section shared with I-278 allows for small trucks—larger ones still cannot pass under the intentionally designed low underpasses. Oversize trucks must travel on Astoria Boulevard, the local service road, to reach the bridge."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Parkway

And I-238 has no business existing so long as there's no I-38.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #10271
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There is a difference between someone not driving at a safe speed limit, but below it, to save fuel, and having a road authority setting a lower speed limit to force fuel savings.

I think US should impose a nationwide 50mph speed limit on all vehicles with empty weight > 4 tons for safety reasons.
Why? Is there a safety problem with vehicles with empty weight > 4t crashing at speeds over 50 mph?
Old February 7th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #10272
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Regarding speed limits in the US.

I think we will see more western states go to 80 or even 85 (Nevada has tried to do that on I-80).

Also I think we will see more states that currently are at 65/70 raise certain stretches of interstates or other limited access highways to 70/75 (New Hampshire, Maine and Louisiana have done this).
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #10273
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Is overtaking on the right permitted in every State?

Moreover, one thing that really sucks in the USA is the very low speed limits in comparison to the size of the country and the hugeness of empty and plain land. I mean when you're driving on very straight lines and do not cross any towns for hours with very few traffic, it's really boring and benumb to drive so slowly as 60-75 mph (depending on the state) . Also, you have huge straight freeways near cities with speed limits down to 40-50 mph . If it would depend on me, I would abolish speed limits immediately on most of the interstates/freeways, just like in Germany .
It does suck but I do not see them ever raising the speed limits significantly or like the autobahn in Europe. In America they give anyone with a pulse a license which results in many uneducated and poor drivers. Somebody mentioned flashing their lights at a car blocking the left lane. It is true that many drivers won't know what you mean or that the left lane is for passing. When I was in Poland you could drive 150km/h and not have these issues. So even though we have roads that could handle high speed limits our poor drivers make it too dangerous to do so.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #10274
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I dunno, I think it is not realistic, there are lots of stupid people in Germany too

MichiH liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #10275
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I dunno, I think it is not realistic, there are lots of stupid people in Germany too
I don't know I've been to Germany and the drivers were super disciplined. I honestly do not recall any examples of poor driving. The US is different, in Europe the dumbest stereotpyical blonde woman can drive a manual and parallel park. In the US many people cannot drive a manual and can't park in our super wide regular spaces. Just one example among many but you get the point.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #10276
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Wait, so we're defining good driving by the ability to drive a manual now?

Well, at least I can parallel park.

(33 years of driving and never been at fault in an accident....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 8th, 2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #10277
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
It does suck but I do not see them ever raising the speed limits significantly or like the autobahn in Europe. In America they give anyone with a pulse a license which results in many uneducated and poor drivers. Somebody mentioned flashing their lights at a car blocking the left lane. It is true that many drivers won't know what you mean or that the left lane is for passing. When I was in Poland you could drive 150km/h and not have these issues. So even though we have roads that could handle high speed limits our poor drivers make it too dangerous to do so.
I read once that speed limits are based on the worst drivers.

And they won't raise them until costs to enforce them exceed revenue.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #10278
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

edit

Last edited by John Maynard; February 8th, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #10279
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Disciplined drivers in Poland, what a joke . Every time I go downtown and there is slow down or a traffic jam, or simply someone wants to drive faster, they "automatically" turn right into the bus lane When a pedestrian is crossing on zebras, they make an avoidance maneuver No body respect the speed limit When you are driving 60-70 km/h in town center and someone is in a hurry, he fishtail you and hit the brakes just in front of you to "punish" you . Near schools or hospitals no one slows down . And that are only some examples on how Polish drivers are "disciplined" and respectful of the traffic laws .
Truth is that many Polish drivers are generally more attentive to their surrounding and anticipate faster, because of bad drivers. Unlike in Western Europe, were people are usually more attentive to their speed indicator and traffic rules.

In comparison, Germans are far more disciplined and law-abiding drivers; however, they do have their share of stupid drivers too as Kanadzie wrote.

America drivers are in IMHO quite well disciplined. Just look at the HOV lane, which would be unthinkable in most places in Europe, because no one will respect them .
Also, the flash light incomprehension is not necessarily an indicator of poor driving, but maybe in America they don't teach this ?

If speed limits were based on the worst drivers, Poland would probably have one of the lowest speed limits in EU . Though, they increased them recently, that in spite they had the First traffic-related death and serious injuries rate in the whole EU, but it was for the motorways and expressways, were this rate is the lowest of all kind of roads .

On the other hand, Switzerland has one of the lowest fatal accidents rate in Europe, and they pushed new laws that are probably the toughest in the world:
Years in jail sentences and treatment as extremely dangerous criminals (hand and foot cuffed as well), car destruction or resell at the benefit of the state, long or life driving ban, thousands or tens of thousands CHF fines, psychiatric monitoring and treatment, among others, are now mandatory .
Hence, it's better to be a drug dealer or a "true" violent criminal in Switzerland, or even go to fight with ISIS in Syria/Irak (they dropped all charges against them and trusted them that they "changed up their minds", can you believe that!) than in the "unfortunate" position of a "speeding" driver .
Because, some politicians severely believed that it's possible to attain "Zero" death on roads .
As a result, the fatal crashes and injuries went up for the first time of the last decade, since these laws were introduced .

For the educational point, I was never taught how to drive high-speed in CH, and it was quite frightening the first time I quit CH to Germany, but I got used to and enjoyed it very quickly .

Last edited by John Maynard; February 8th, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #10280
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
I don't know I've been to Germany and the drivers were super disciplined. I honestly do not recall any examples of poor driving.
I'm German and don't agree.

Quote:
The US is different, in Europe the dumbest stereotpyical blonde woman can drive a manual and parallel park.
I try to avoid parking parallel. I'm not used to do it and I think I'm to stupid .

Quote:
In comparison, Germans are far more disciplined and law-abiding drivers; however, they do have their share of stupid drivers too as Kanadzie wrote.
There are many stupid drivers on German roads. I happens very often that drivers try a lane change w/o signaling or not checking if there's a car on the left lane... .

On the other hand, I love chaotic driving in Italy. I was in Turin for four days one year ago. Back in Germany I passed the first traffic light at the airport. My co-driver said "you should return to German driving style. Light was red" .

Quote:
America drivers are in IMHO quite well disciplined. Just look at the HOV lane, which would be unthinkable in most places in Europe, because no one will respect them .
Exactly. I think drivers in most European countries would not respect HOV lanes. I was in Toronto in 2013. I drove on an empty HOV lane while the regular lanes were congested. This would never work in Germany neither Italy!

I think North American drivers are more disciplined although an American co-worker of mine always says "Americans are stupid" on many matters (politics, arms, debt,...).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Penn's Woods liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban