daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #10321
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Likes (Received): 139

Metric stinks...

DJ Technotik - Soundcloud
CollegeBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #10322
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy View Post
Metric stinks...
Oh yeah? Well.... Your mum stinks!

(same type of argument, as in that it's not an argument but similar to what an 8-year old does when he doesn't get what he wants)

Also thanks for everyone for swiftly giving up on this strategy
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Newbie on this forum, hopefully nobody will bother with responding.
Which is obviously what one should do when someone (in this case Valentino) posts a not even mildly on-topic remark that comes pretty damn close to trolling. Just keep feeding the troll. As we all know that feeding them will make them stop.
Oh, wait...
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #10323
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I wouldn't assume he's a troll...he doesn't know that subject's been done to death. (And is it really any more off topic on a thread about U.S. roads than any critique of signage on any other roads thread?)

For the record, the reason I jokingly suggested last week on I-forget-what thread that Valentino was Autoputevi kan Hobi's Canadian cousin was not to pick on either of them, but because the way some people were responding to Valentino reminded me of the way some people responded to AkH at first.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #10324
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I'm pretty sure services indicates rest areas, gas stations etc and not cell phone signal.
True, except since toll-free interstates don't have gas stations on them, I'd take it as meaning that there's nothing - gas stations, food places - at the exits. I could be wrong, though....

(For that matter, I'm not sure a rest area - place to park with toilets, drinking water, perhaps picnic tables, perhaps vending machines - would count as a "service.")

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #10325
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
True, except since toll-free interstates don't have gas stations on them, I'd take it as meaning that there's nothing - gas stations, food places - at the exits. I could be wrong, though....
What??? Many toll-free interstates have gas stations and fast food adjacent to the exits.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #10326
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Connecticut Turnpike comes to mind for free highway with rest areas near food exits.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #10327
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
What??? Many toll-free interstates have gas stations and fast food adjacent to the exits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Connecticut Turnpike comes to mind for free highway with rest areas near food exits.
Toll-free Interstates do not (generally) have service areas like in Europe, with restaurants, shops and so on, actually on the roadway. (Toll roads do, and they're called "service areas.") That's what I'm saying. This is because there was concern in Congress at the time the Interstate legislation was being considered that small towns that were reliant on people passing through might lose business. An American "rest area" includes toilets, drinking water, maybe picnic tables, maybe vending machines. In that context, a "No Services next 106 Miles" on a toll-free Interstate probably means there's nothing even at the exits (because that's a very remote area). (It might mean there are no rest areas - no place to take a leak - but my guess is it's the no-services-at-exits thing. Particularly since you usually have blue signs approaching exits telling you what gas stations, what restaurants, what hotels and so on are at or near the exits.)

The Connecticut Turnpike is an exception because it used to be a toll road; it wasn't built with Interstate funding. Toll roads mostly do have service areas, so people don't have to get off for food or gas and then pay a toll to get back on.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #10328
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Likes (Received): 139

Maryland and Chesapeake House on I-95 immediately come to mind.

DJ Technotik - Soundcloud
CollegeBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #10329
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Toll-free Interstates do not (generally) have service areas like in Europe, with restaurants, shops and so on, actually on the roadway. (Toll roads do, and they're called "service areas.") That's what I'm saying. This is because there was concern in Congress at the time the Interstate legislation was being considered that small towns that were reliant on people passing through might lose business. An American "rest area" includes toilets, drinking water, maybe picnic tables, maybe vending machines. In that context, a "No Services next 106 Miles" on a toll-free Interstate probably means there's nothing even at the exits (because that's a very remote area). (It might mean there are no rest areas - no place to take a leak - but my guess is it's the no-services-at-exits thing. Particularly since you usually have blue signs approaching exits telling you what gas stations, what restaurants, what hotels and so on are at or near the exits.)

The Connecticut Turnpike is an exception because it used to be a toll road; it wasn't built with Interstate funding. Toll roads mostly do have service areas, so people don't have to get off for food or gas and then pay a toll to get back on.
Definitely "no services" sign means NOTHING nearby from any exit, not no "service plaza" government junk This sign is usually placed before the exit with a gas station nearby.

I forget what the standard is for that sign. I want to say in Quebec it means nothing within 10 km of any exit. But I am not sure. I like the Quebec standard of this sign better though, it is a fuel pump and then "1 and 100 km" to indicate the next station and the one after.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #10330
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

My question was actually concerning cell phone service, the coincidence with "no service" sign was just that. I know that "no services" meant no facilities like gas, restaurants and the like. I was still wondering about cell phone service because it is much-used resource by commercial fleets to track and manage their vehicles.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #10331
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

it used to be common to lose cell service but it is rare now

But Utah is really deserted, it could be possible...
Old February 17th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #10332
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
My question was actually concerning cell phone service, the coincidence with "no service" sign was just that. I know that "no services" meant no facilities like gas, restaurants and the like. I was still wondering about cell phone service because it is much-used resource by commercial fleets to track and manage their vehicles.
I think there are sections of major interstate in Utah that lack cell service. I don't think I had cell service for much of I-70 through Utah when I was out that way last year.
Old February 17th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #10333
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
That section of I-95 is technically considered to be part of a toll road (with the toll plaza located after the Susquehanna River Bridge heading north). Which is why it has a rest area with a gas station/restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it used to be common to lose cell service but it is rare now

But Utah is really deserted, it could be possible...
That stretch of I-70 between Richfield and Green River isn't near any populated towns/settlements so I would imagine that it would be hard to recieve any cell service there.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #10334
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The segment from about White Marsh to the Delaware line is technically a toll road, even if the only toll is collected at the Susquehanna bridge.

EDIT: As I see Diablo's already said.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #10335
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

I've driven a LOT of Interstate, including much of the "tolled" Interstates like parts of I-95, the PA Turnpike (I-76), and NY's Thruway. I can think of NO places where there are 'rest areas' of any more than rudimentary design on the 'free' interstates, whereas there are on-route rest areas on the PA Turnpike, the NY State Thruway, and so on. On the 'freebies', you need to get off at an exit to do almost ANYTHING more than sit at a picnic table or use a porta-potti.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #10336
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Welcome Centers. I do like a good Welcome Center. Even if your state (and my native state) apparently has none. (Actually, now that I think of it there's one at the top of the Garden State Parkway. But it was closed the last time I was there, about 6 p.m. on an October Wednesday.)

(A Welcome Center is a tourist-information center. Since promotion of tourism is a state responsibility, you'll usually find them at the first rest area in a "new" state.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #10337
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Welcome Centers are rare if not non-existent at European borders (along motorways). Another interesting difference are the weigh stations or 'scales'. They are common near state lines, but are rare in Europe. Some countries operate 'weigh-in-motion' sites though, but there is only very limited enforcement. Then you'll see some fruit inspection stations at the California and Florida state lines.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #10338
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I've hardly ever seen a weigh station that was actually operating, though....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #10339
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
I've hardly ever seen a weigh station that was actually operating, though....
Same here.

Most of them look completely abandoned. Maybe one or two vehicles mysteriously lingering around, but that's it.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #10340
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Welcome Centers are rare if not non-existent at European borders (along motorways). Another interesting difference are the weigh stations or 'scales'. They are common near state lines, but are rare in Europe. Some countries operate 'weigh-in-motion' sites though, but there is only very limited enforcement. Then you'll see some fruit inspection stations at the California and Florida state lines.
There are also inspection stations along interstates in Texas although those are primarily used for livestock/poultry.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban