daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #1021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I was checking the pics of the I-278 lately. I was surprised, no shoulders, very short ramps, sometimes only 2 lanes per direction etc.

Maybe it's not worth an I-number, but i think it's signed to make a beltway through the New York City area more clearer to drivers.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1022
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If I Remember Correctly...
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1023
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Oh ok thanks.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1024
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I was checking the pics of the I-278 lately. I was surprised, no shoulders, very short ramps, sometimes only 2 lanes per direction etc.

Maybe it's not worth an I-number, but i think it's signed to make a beltway through the New York City area more clearer to drivers.
If I remember correctly, I-78 was intended to continue through the Holland Tunnel to the Williamsburg Bridge (via the never-built Lower Manhattan Expressway), then cross Brooklyn to connect with NY (I) 878 in Queens, then circle northward to become the Clearview Expressway to cross the Throgs Neck bridge and end at I-95 in the Bronx. It you check older maps of NYC, you'll see that the Clearview was once marked as 'I-78'.

As for the substandard nature of I-278? It is my belief that much of it was likely an older expressway that was 'grandfathered' in to the I-system. Design standards have evolved over the years, too, and much of what is substandard now was likely up to standard when the I-system was created in the 1950s.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #1025
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

It truly is a joke...especially through Brooklyn.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:04 AM   #1026
-KwK345-
My user title is the bomb

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

... concrete section, not in the most awesome of shape ...
Why does the sign say "N. Texas" ???
-KwK345- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #1027
-KwK345-
My user title is the bomb

Likes (Received): 2

Why do you guys say Texas? I don't think they are bad.

I would say WA has bad highways. SAome are rough, old, and bumpy.
-KwK345- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1028
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Street name in Fairfield, CA.
sbarn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1029
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_wk View Post
Why do you guys say Texas? I don't think they are bad.

I would say WA has bad highways. SAome are rough, old, and bumpy.
I would disagree. WA doesn't have the best highways, but they are decent and they do their job just fine. After living in California for 6.5 years, I realised that California has some of the best and some of the worst highways in the country.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #1030
twinsen
dark avenger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Most non-freeway (I call them 'surface') road and highway speed limits top out at about 90 km/h. Local streets are often in the 30-70 km/h range depending on location, design and traffic loads.

Wisconsin and many other states have four-lane non-freeway highways posted at about 105 km/h.

Some two-lane highway speed limits do top out in the 110 km/h range in the more wide-open western states, too.

Mike
Why speed limits in USA are so strict? Today there is no oil crisis or something
like that, so why travelling on practically EMPTY some interstate highway,
you cannot drive at speed for example 160 km/h or 180 km/h?

I'm seeking where is sense of those limits

And those polismen in a half of some EMPTY highway, looking for speeders

Maybe I've seen too much USA made films, but does the policemen have any radars ?
twinsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1031
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
What about the Super Highway they're trying to build in Texas - called the Trans Texas Corridor, or something?!
The majority of Texas residents are hoping that it does NOT get built.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1032
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsen View Post
Why speed limits in USA are so strict? Today there is no oil crisis or something

Maybe I've seen too much USA made films, but does the policemen have any radars ?
Do police in the USA have radars? HAHAHA

http://www.speedtrap.org/

http://www.beartraps.com/
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #1033
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Parts of Wisconsin are pretty terrible. Sections of interstate have shoulders just crumbling away.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #1034
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsen View Post

One of the strange 'quirks' of life in the USA is that it is often the 'squeaky wheel' that gets the political grease - and we have a LOT of self-righteous people whom feel that it is their life's duty to try to protect everyone from themselves and whom make a lot of noise that the politicians hear (the 'speed kills' fallacy is a frequently heard mantra all over the USA). MANY are politicians themselves, too. Thus we get such silliness as speed limits that are way too slow for the roads, beverage alcohol restrictions that are only surpassed by countries in the Islamic World, etc.

Many jurisdictions, especially corrupt smaller towns, also use heavy enforcement of traffic laws as a source of easy money for their governments.

It's a constant struggle to keep things from going completely off the deep end.

And yes, a LOT of our interstates are traveled at speeds far in excess of the posted limits and in perfect safety everyday (Wisconsin cops will generally not touch you unless you are going 15-20 km/h above the limits and traffic often flows along at 120-130 km/h or faster on our major highways).

Anyways, I normally follow the 'When in Rome...' adage with no problems when I'm on the road.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1035
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think the conditions of the shoulders aren't that important. If you have enough money to repair it, do it, but they are not ment to be regularly used, so i would prioritize the travel lanes if you haven't got much budget.
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1036
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

One big difference between the US and other countries, though... popular referendums. FDOT wouldn't dare to even fantasize about putting up speed cameras like those in Britain, because it knows that there would be a petition-initiated constitutional amendment in the next election to categorically prohibit their use in Florida... and probably ban things like speed traps, too. The politicians and "squeaky wheels" would bitch and moan, but the amendment would likely be passed by an overwhelming majority of voters. In America, politicians can't piss people off "for their own good" and rely on institutional inertia to keep them in office and the bureaucrats who enforce the laws employed, because voters in states with referendums can do an end-run around them and short-circuit the whole process
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #1037
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
One big difference between the US and other countries, though... popular referendums. FDOT wouldn't dare to even fantasize about putting up speed cameras like those in Britain, because it knows that there would be a petition-initiated constitutional amendment in the next election to categorically prohibit their use in Florida... and probably ban things like speed traps, too. The politicians and "squeaky wheels" would bitch and moan, but the amendment would likely be passed by an overwhelming majority of voters. In America, politicians can't piss people off "for their own good" and rely on institutional inertia to keep them in office and the bureaucrats who enforce the laws employed, because voters in states with referendums can do an end-run around them and short-circuit the whole process
So, why you have so ridiculous low speed limits and stupid policeman traveling up and down highway hunting victims on speed traps?
Where is petition-initiated constitutional amendment raising those speed limits??

Right now I prefer UK. People know where cameras are (they are clearly marked and you can buy road atlases where they are on maps) so you just slow down in front of them
Beside cameras, speed enforcement is almost nonexistent
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1038
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
So, why you have so ridiculous low speed limits and stupid policeman traveling up and down highway hunting victims on speed traps?
Where is petition-initiated constitutional amendment raising those speed limits??

Right now I prefer UK. People know where cameras are (they are clearly marked and you can buy road atlases where they are on maps) so you just slow down in front of them
Beside cameras, speed enforcement is almost nonexistent
You at least have a chance at talking your way out of a ticket if a cop pulls you over. You can't do that with a camera that sends a letter to you in the mail a month later with the ticket enclosed.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1039
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
The majority of Texas residents are hoping that it does NOT get built.
Yeah, that project is a stupid idea. Let's build large highways that are in the middle of no where and few people will use.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #1040
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

Dallas TX, USA, Highways

Dallas has a wide range of highway designs and many new ones are being built. I know I don't always agree with highways, but I am from Dallas and these are superstructures and are made to the highest standards. They are beautiful mammoth structures that deserve to be seen.

Right now there are many highway projects going on in and around the DFW Metroplex.

One project that stands out above all others right now is the Woodall Rogers Extension. It contains a new bridge and extension across the Trinity River. The bridge has been designed by Sanitago Caltrava.

Here is a link to the projects itself. http://www.projectpegasus.org/wre.htm

--------------------------------------------------------

Another great, recently completed, under budget and before schedule, is the High 5. It is a 5 level interchange project where Central Expressway and LBJ cross.

��Interchange between the freeways U.S. 75 (NCE)
and I.H. 635 (LBJ)
�� First fully directional 5-level interchange in Dallas
�� Single largest contract @ $261 million
�� An ADT of approximately 0.5 million VPD through
the interchange
�� Existing interchange:
– built in the 1960s
– a partial clover leaf structure
– functionally obsolete

a rendering of the project

here are some pictures of when it was under construction

i have not been able to find a good picture of the completed high 5 interchange, if you have one, please post.

below i will post pictures of other highways in and around dallas
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban