daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #10401
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
Tolls suck but Texas do have low taxes so it makes sense there, + you can avoid the HOT lanes so some of the roads on that list is not even tolled.

Its worse when a really highly taxed place start to charge on top of insane taxes, and its non-avoidable tolls too.
Texas has some of the highest property taxes though to compensate for the lack of income tax. What I've learned is that in "low tax" states (like New Zealand), there will inevitably be hidden costs everywhere to make up for the shortfall. It's just not direct taxation like we're more used to.

Back to topic: thanks to everyone who responded to my comments/questions. It is interesting to note how far down the toll route that Texas has gone. It reminds me somewhat of Sydney in Australia - they favour expensive toll roads everywhere, but there they have been a universal failure due to administration costs they end up not making enough money (Clem Jones in Brisbane I believe is in a similar situation too). Will be interesting to see how the economics of this works out for Texas too.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #10402
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Traditional funding cannot meet the need of Texas highway development. There are basically five things you can do;

* do nothing: congestion worsens exponentially.
* add tolls: fund large expansion projects with toll lanes or new toll roads.
* increase taxes: raise the gas tax significantly. Not a very popular idea anywhere.
* replace the gas tax with a mileage-based fee. Currently being tested in Washington and Oregon.
* find new funding sources: introduce new taxes such as a road or vehicle tax.
* supplement with mass transit-get everyone who doesn't NEED the highway out of cars
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #10403
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Mass transit doesn't make much of a difference in the highway needs of Texas. Capital MetroRail in Austin being a case in point, with over $ 150 million spent to move 2,500 people per day - similar to a secondary rural road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #10404
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mass transit doesn't make much of a difference in the highway needs of Texas. Capital MetroRail in Austin being a case in point, with over $ 150 million spent to move 2,500 people per day - similar to a secondary rural road.
DART in Dallas is a better example-how many people does that system carry?
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #10405
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
DART in Dallas is a better example-how many people does that system carry?
Costs billions of dollars and transports 100k people per year. Yeah, much better.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #10406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

DART carries around 100,000 riders a day on its rail system. Mass transit is useful in dense cities and to large central business districts, but won't help much to reduce traffic in large metropolitan areas of Texas, except for a few select links (such as to the Texas Medical Center in Houston). Even in Dallas 80% of traffic at the I-30 and I-35E interchange does not have a destination or origin in Downtown.
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #10407
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It reminds me somewhat of Sydney in Australia - they favour expensive toll roads everywhere, but there they have been a universal failure due to administration costs they end up not making enough money (Clem Jones in Brisbane I believe is in a similar situation too). Will be interesting to see how the economics of this works out for Texas too.
Why won't the tolls cover the costs? In some developing nations, toll roads seem to be very profitable to the extent that American and Canadian operators invest in them. I wonder what's the difference in Texas or Australia.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #10408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most of these toll roads in Australia are very expensive tunnels, and they had unrealistic traffic forecasting at some of those projects. Tolling itself causes a loss of demand (the pricing off lower value trips concept).

Most of the toll projects in Dallas were fairly straightfoward, either a large-scale widening or a greenfield toll road. The LBJ Express project is the first to feature a complex design of several levels of traffic.

But not all of Texas' toll roads are a success. The SH 130 southern extension from Austin to Seguin carries less traffic than anticipated, I believe the operator was close to bankruptcy. That's the famous 85 miles per hour toll road.
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #10409
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Quote:
Austin's capitol metrorail has a long weird story. For decades there had been proposals to build a serious light rail network in Austin, with reasonable ridership forecasts. At the same time, Capitol Metro bought a lightly used freight line and in 1997 brought in a Siemens RegioSprinter as a demonstration.

When the more serious light rail proposal lost the election by a narrow margin in 2000, there were still a lot of people who wanted rail mass transit.

At some point it became politically expedient to fall back on the DMU commuter rail idea, which was sold to the public as being "cheap". But then the costs ballooned, and in typical Texas fashion a lot of leaders had "shiny object" syndrome and ignored how the whole thing was pointless. For one, express buses used to run a more direct route, and the trains can't turn very well so the tracks couldn't penetrate downtown. Oh well.

Last year they tried again with a modern streetcar that would have run in mixed traffic and would have been terrible. It failed. Hopefully for good. Then they opened the "BRT" which is a marginal improvement over a typical bus route. IMO the problem with transit in Austin is that the areas with the largest ridership needs are hard to build infrastructure to and there is a NIMBY attitude towards anything that removes auto lanes from streets. To get light rail on Guadalupe street where the city's busiest bus routes go, they'd practically have to build a subway. Not gonna happen. The construction of a massive flood control tunnel using a huge TBM got some people exuberant about that, but lol. Austin wants to be the most progressive city in Texas, but its not.

But enough about that. In the same time period they built the 183 freeway/toll road and the stack at I-35, serving a similar corridor. Honestly I see the two things(roads and transit) as serving completely different purposes. Austin is growing rapidly so there is both a lot of interest in urban development and a lot of suburban sprawl happening at the same time.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Svartmetall, diablo234 liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; February 28th, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:03 AM   #10410
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Here in WA, it seems like raising the sales tax and/or putting tolls is the main way to finance projects. Like Texas there is no state income tax here. The 520 bridge is being financed by tolls (as much as almost $6 either way during peak times) and the I-405 widening will have HOT lanes when it is finished. I think this is the new way of financing highway expansions in the country in general.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:19 PM   #10411
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
New Jersey and Oregon the only states with full-service mandatory gas stations... that's awesome!
No! That sucked (at least in NJ when I lived there).

The attendants were horrible (never understanding what I wanted, sometimes getting debit/credit cards mixed up with other customers).

Kanadzie liked this post
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:14 PM   #10412
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Maybe it's because I grew up in New Jersey and I'm used to it, or maybe it's a generational thing, but I like full service. (For starters, if you buy food on the same stop, your hands don't smell like gasoline as you're eating it. Even washing them doesn't always take that away.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 06:11 AM   #10413
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Maybe it's because I grew up in New Jersey and I'm used to it, or maybe it's a generational thing, but I like full service. (For starters, if you buy food on the same stop, your hands don't smell like gasoline as you're eating it. Even washing them doesn't always take that away.)
you could eat first, then fuel up....
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:12 AM   #10414
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
This. The first thing I do when I get to a rest stop is take care clearing out and reloading my own fuel system before I worry about the car.

Then, when I'm done with gas, I hop in and drive off.

Every rest stop I've ever seen is set up to make this the easiest way to do things too. Where are you stopping that it isn't more convenient this way?
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:24 AM   #10415
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
Or take a pee and buy something to eat while the attendant fills the tank and be on my way with clean hands and actually having saved a bit of time. :-)

(Yes, this assumes that I'm eating something that I can manage with one hand while I'm driving...)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:42 AM   #10416
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

gas station hot dog? LOL

I am like scared to let attendant touch my car. I specifically avoid full-service places for that...
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:45 AM   #10417
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Wawa or QuickChek.

I like Sheetz too, but they haven't reached New Jersey.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:55 AM   #10418
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I always laugh at Sheetz signs and have never tanked at one. I mean... oh sheetz

I remember tanking at a Love's in Michigan with my ex, she saw the hot dog machine and was so impressed by it, she had not seen one before. But we ate in the "restaurant" part instead.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:37 AM   #10419
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Full service seems kind of pointless in an era when you can automatically put how much you need in a tank on your own.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:21 AM   #10420
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

A photo of the Verrazano–Narrows Bridge I took today

DSC_0223 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban