daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #10461
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

I-76 Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #10462
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Ah the surekill expressway

Wide shoulders! Did they think to make them into lanes?
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #10463
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Those wide left shoulders seems to be a North American thing. They are uncommon in Europe and Asia.

They are recommended in the Netherlands if there are four or more lanes in one direction. They tend to be converted into driving lanes at some point (or in Los Angeles' case: HOV lanes).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #10464
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

depends on the highway and its age. Older highways generally do't have them in a permanent capacity.

They are designed for vehicles to pull over in the case of an incident.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #10465
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
depends on the highway and its age. Older highways generally do't have them in a permanent capacity.

They are designed for vehicles to pull over in the case of an incident.
Or for tire carcasses that are found all over left shoulders.
Old April 6th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #10466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-65, Louisville, KY

The first pylons of the new I-65 bridge across the Ohio River in Louisville have reached final height.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

JMBasquiat, geometarkv liked this post
Old April 7th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #10467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-11, Nevada

RTC, NDOT, federal, state and local leaders officially “sign-off” on $318M I-11 project

The creation of Interstate 11 (I-11) connecting Las Vegas and Phoenix took a major step forward today as federal, state and local elected officials, Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC), Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT), and community and business leaders celebrated the launch of one of the largest state transportation projects in history.

The event marks the launch of construction on I-11 from I-515 to U.S. 93, a landmark project that will support Nevada’s continued economic prosperity through enhanced commerce, increased tourism and improved connectivity between Nevada and Arizona as well as beyond to Canada and Mexico.

Construction of the I-11 project will occur in two simultaneous phases coordinated by the RTC and NDOT beginning this spring. The RTC will construct approximately 12.5 miles from I-515 to U.S. 93 near the new Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge. NDOT will build 2.5 miles of roadway improvements from I-515 to U.S. 95. Work on both phases is made possible through a combination of $22 million in Fuel Revenue Indexing (FRI) funds, $291 million in federal funds and 5 million in state funding.
Full press release: http://www.rtcsnv.com/press-archive/...8m-11-project/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258 liked this post
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #10468
Nexis
Dark Wolf

TriBourough Bridge

TriBorough Bridge viewed from Astoria - Queens,New York

JMBasquiat, ryaboisse liked this post
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #10469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 12

DOTD breaks ground on capacity project in Slidell

Today, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Secretary Sherri H. LeBas hosted a groundbreaking ceremony to announce the start of a $20.6 million capacity project in Slidell.

The project will widen approximately 2.4 miles of I-12 from North Shore/Airport Road to U.S. 11, adding a travel lane in each direction. The effort is a continuation of a project completed in 2012 at an investment of $25.6 million that widened I-12 from four to six lanes, from just west of Airport Road to the I-10/I-59/I-12 junction.

Construction of the project is funded by $16.5 million in federal monies, with another $4.1 million in state funds. The project, awarded to James Construction Group, LLC, should be completed by late spring or early summer 2016.
Full press release: http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administr....aspx?key=7189
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #10470
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 41

US 41 Officially Added to Interstate System

Federal Highway Administration approval means I-41 signs will start going up in summer

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) officially approved the Interstate designation – the final step in a process that began nearly 10 years ago. Installation of about 3,000 new signs will begin this summer with signing expected to be completed by November 2015.

Wisconsin’s newest Interstate route runs concurrently with US 41 for the entire route. I-41 begins at the I-94/US 41 interchange located about one mile south of the Wisconsin/Illinois border. It follows I-94 north to the Mitchell Interchange, I-894 and US 45 around Milwaukee and then joins US 41 north to Green Bay where it ends at the I-43 Interchange.

Existing US 41 in the Milwaukee area will be re-routed to follow I-41 along I-894 and US 45. Current US 41 along Lisbon Avenue and Appleton Avenue from I-94 at the Stadium Interchange northwesterly to the interchange with US 45 will be re-numbered WIS 175.
Full press release: http://www.walker.wisconsin.gov/news...erstate-system

brewerfan386, FM 2258 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #10471
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

When a given 3-digit Interstate series exhausts all 9 options, is there a guideline on what should happen next? Something like I-1095?
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #10472
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think New York is the only state were a 3-digit series is exhausted (all I-x90 routes). At the same time 3-digit numbers can be repeated in different states, so I don't think this is really a problem.

3-digit routes tend to be in areas with multiple parent routes, so they could always pick another 2-digit Interstate to base the 3-digit number on. For example I-481 in Syracuse.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #10473
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Congested I-278

I-278 Congestion in Queens,New York

Luki_SL, jchernin liked this post
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #10474
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Those wide left shoulders seems to be a North American thing. They are uncommon in Europe and Asia.

They are recommended in the Netherlands if there are four or more lanes in one direction. They tend to be converted into driving lanes at some point (or in Los Angeles' case: HOV lanes).
Considering the number of breakdowns and accidents on the Schuylkill, they're desperately needed. Too bad they don't run the entire length. This shot is closer to downtown, near the Zoo. Farther out around Conshohocken and King of Prussia, sometimes the shoulder is only a couple of feet wide.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #10475
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
US 41 Officially Added to Interstate System

Federal Highway Administration approval means I-41 signs will start going up in summer

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) officially approved the Interstate designation – the final step in a process that began nearly 10 years ago. Installation of about 3,000 new signs will begin this summer with signing expected to be completed by November 2015.

Wisconsin’s newest Interstate route runs concurrently with US 41 for the entire route. I-41 begins at the I-94/US 41 interchange located about one mile south of the Wisconsin/Illinois border. It follows I-94 north to the Mitchell Interchange, I-894 and US 45 around Milwaukee and then joins US 41 north to Green Bay where it ends at the I-43 Interchange.

Existing US 41 in the Milwaukee area will be re-routed to follow I-41 along I-894 and US 45. Current US 41 along Lisbon Avenue and Appleton Avenue from I-94 at the Stadium Interchange northwesterly to the interchange with US 45 will be re-numbered WIS 175.
Full press release: http://www.walker.wisconsin.gov/news...erstate-system
I don't see the point in making this an Interstate. I've looked at the maps and read the press release. Wisconsin's point of view is that I-41 will be a "nationally recognized corridor" and business will be drawn there. Since I've never heard of I-43, how would I have known about I-41? And is a "nationally recognized corridor" 175 miles (280 km) long?

It really doesn't make sense to make it concurrent with I-94 and I-894. Why not just start it at US 45? Also, how will the signage go since I-41 and I-43 both go to Green Bay? I guess I-41 will show Appleton and Green Bay.

I guess I'm of the opinion that if there's nothing wrong with it, why change it? Apparently US 41 was Interstate standard, so why not just leave it?
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #10476
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Are US highways eligible for federal funds? I think that would be the only feasible reason for the change.

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #10477
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Wikipedia says US Highways have always been maintained by states or local governments so I guess that's why it was changed. Wisconsin didn't want the burden of maintaining US 41. I still don't see the reason to make it concurrent with I-94.

Zaz965 liked this post
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #10478
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
I don't see the point in making this an Interstate. I've looked at the maps and read the press release. Wisconsin's point of view is that I-41 will be a "nationally recognized corridor" and business will be drawn there. Since I've never heard of I-43, how would I have known about I-41? And is a "nationally recognized corridor" 175 miles (280 km) long?
Appleton, etc can say they are on I-41, which is nationally recognized as a decent standard road, rather than the meaningless US41, which says nothing about the quality and importance of the road - it could be a windy rural road of little importance (cf a lot of US routes in the South) or a massive 12 lane expressway (cf US101 heading north west out of Los Angeles). Being able to say "we're on an interstate" helps promote investment in the cities served by it due to the nationally recognised branding the road has.

The Interstate shield is not the panacea to development some people claim, but it's not irrelevant either.
Quote:
It really doesn't make sense to make it concurrent with I-94 and I-894. Why not just start it at US 45?
I don't see what purpose not starting it where the US41 route becomes interstate standard serves, save saving a small amount of money on new signs. You are either going to have
white shields with 41 on them along I-894 and I-94, or red and blue ones, so what does it matter?
Quote:
I guess I'm of the opinion that if there's nothing wrong with it, why change it? Apparently US 41 was Interstate standard, so why not just leave it?
It was not fully Interstate standard before they spend a fortune upgrading it to Interstate standard for safety and traffic (as in high volume of) reasons. Spending a couple of million on the approval process and some signs (the section north of Milwaukee was resigned as part of the upgrade) to get the full benefit of interstate quality road (the brand recognition) doesn't seem silly, but sensible.

I'm naturally pre-disposed to an "if it ain't broke" approach, but there is also no reason why not to change the color of the shields on Route 41 from where it becomes interstate standard just south of the IL border to the junction with I-43 in Green Bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Are US highways eligible for federal funds? I think that would be the only feasible reason for the change.
The National Highway System is what is eligible for federal funds: as well as most (if not all?) Interstates, it includes many US and State routes. US41 was part of it with or without the interstate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
Wikipedia says US Highways have always been maintained by states or local governments so I guess that's why it was changed. Wisconsin didn't want the burden of maintaining US 41.
Interstates are maintained by states too!
Quote:
I still don't see the reason to make it concurrent with I-94.
Because why not make it concurrent with I-94?

What purpose does signing the interstate standard part of Route 41 along I-94 with white shields when you have the option of red-and-blue ones?

FM 2258 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #10479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 580, Nevada

The final leg of Interstate 580 around Carson City, Nevada will be awarded soon. The bridges are already constructed, so it's mostly a paving and completion job. Construction will begin in June and is scheduled to be completed in 2017.

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #10480
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

The Quiet Revolution Turning Roadsides Into Nature Reserves

now posting on the right thread

An interesting article from Wired on the environmental case for using highway ROWs as wildlife corridors

Quote:
MONARCH BUTTERFLIES ONCE coursed through North America in clouds so dense they darkened the sky. Now their migrations have dwindled to an uncertain trickle. In a literally last-ditch effort, ecologists hope to save the black-and-orange beauties by creating habitat along Interstate 35, which runs from Texas to Minnesota and tracks a major monarch migration route. The country’s forgettable roadsides could seed the monarchs’ salvation.

The I-35 restoration is part of a quiet revolution occurring in some of America’s most unappreciated spaces. Roadsides and utility corridors, biologists say, are potentially vital sources of life. They can become grasslands and shrublands, rich habitats that once formed after fire and other natural disturbance, but have become rare in human-dominated landscapes.

Even the most intensively developed regions, from the agricultural heartland to the heart of New York, contain millions of acres of potential habitat. People just need to wrap their heads around that idea. “People think that everything has to look like their front lawn. If you don’t mow roadsides, people complain,” says Chip Taylor, a University of Kansas ecologist and founder of conservation group Monarch Watch. “But if you like birds, if you like butterflies, you should want to restore roadside habitats. There is so much land that can be restored.”

The notion goes back several decades, most notably to landscape ecologist Richard Forman, who estimated total US roadside habitat at 10 million acres, an area the size of Maryland. In a few places, like Iowa, roadsides are partially managed with consideration for wildlife, but that’s rare. Most places reflect a reflexive cultural preference for domestic landscapes as tidy as they are ecologically impoverished.

The planned I-35 monarch corridor, which in February received a $3.2 million boost from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, emerged from these talks. And it wouldn’t only be monarchs that benefit, notes naturalist David Mizejewski of the National Wildlife Federation, but other pollinators and invertebrates, small mammals, migratory and ground-nesting birds: the entire community of life that thrives where monarchs do.

The project is in its infancy. Both along the I-35 corridor and elsewhere, the people who manage these spaces need to be educated. “I ask, ‘Why do you mow there?'” said Rick Johnstone, founder of Integrated Vegetation Management Partners, of highway managers whose cuts extend hundreds of feet beyond the tarmac. “They say, ‘We always have.’ I say, ‘I know you have—but why do you do it?‘ It’s a mindset.”

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban