daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #10481
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I-45, Dallas, TX

A segment of the US 175 (Wright Freeway) in Dallas will be demolished. The US 175 (Hawn Freeway) will be extended to I-45 and I-45 will be widened to eight through lanes to accommodate the additional traffic. The Wright Freeway will be turned into a six lane urban arterial. It is probably the first freeway removal in Texas.

map:

The Wright Freeway is actually the former routing of the pre-Interstate US 75 freeway from Dallas to Houston. It was built in the mid-1950s and opened to traffic in 1956. Modern I-45 was built on a new alignment, resulting in two parallel freeways and a nasty curve to follow US 175.

At this location, US 175 actually carries more traffic (85,000 vpd) than I-45 (70,000 vpd). The combined volume is 155,000 vpd, which is relatively high for eight lanes, but the six lane arterial will continue to carry some of that traffic, and southern Dallas is not as booming as north of the city.

The nasty turn where the US 175 C.F. Hawn Freeway becomes the S.M. Wright Freeway. US 175 will be extended west from here, to I-45.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, FM 2258, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #10482
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

From time to time there will be an accident where a car can't make the curve and bounces off the wall and back into the neighborhood to the northeast. That's why it's known as "Dead man's curve".
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #10483
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10, Texas

One of the at-grade intersections along Interstate 10 in West Texas. This is west of Van Horn.

Old April 19th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #10484
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

I didn't know interstates ever had at-grade intersections! Is this an exception to the "limited access" rule?
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #10485
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

I guess that far out in the middle of nowhere there's so little happening that they figure that it won't matter. But of equal concern is the far right. Is that a railroad paralleling the tracks so closely? Not sure if that's within the safety standards.

I guess that here they just took the existing country road and doubled it. They did that in other places too.

jchernin, Luki_SL liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #10486
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

There are few more on I-40 in Texas I believe.

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #10487
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

And Montana

basically wide open spaces that really can't justify full grade separation

FM 2258, Zaz965 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #10488
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
One of the at-grade intersections along Interstate 10 in West Texas. This is west of Van Horn.

nice
Old April 20th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #10489
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

I was just there 2 weeks ago!

The pointy mountain to the right is near Sierra Blanca, where there is an internal border checkpoint you have to stop at when going east. It makes sense considering that past that point you can actually see the Rio Grande and Mexican villages on the other side. So this grade crossing isn't the only possible interruption to the limited access nature of this road.

That road might go to, like, 1 ranch. You can drive for miles out tthere and see nothing except for a tiny grove of trees someone planted around a house. Its unbelievable how much land a single family might own, you could build an entire city on some of those ranches. Who knows how many of the numerous border patrol vehicles hauling atv's you see on the road turn onto it though.

Quote:
It is probably the first freeway removal in Texas.
Does the relocation of I-30 south by one block through downtown Fort Worth count? I guess that wasn't really removing an entire route but rather straightening and refining its path. Sort of like what was done in Oklahoma City or Providence.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; April 20th, 2015 at 07:28 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #10490
ChrisZwolle
Road user

left lane for passing only

I-10 in West Texas (just east of the I-20 split).

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #10491
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I guess that far out in the middle of nowhere there's so little happening that they figure that it won't matter. But of equal concern is the far right. Is that a railroad paralleling the tracks so closely? Not sure if that's within the safety standards.

I guess that here they just took the existing country road and doubled it. They did that in other places too.
It's not a railroad, it's a road

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Tex...eb1c8f1808de3c
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #10492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
The pointy mountain to the right is near Sierra Blanca, where there is an internal border checkpoint you have to stop at when going east. It makes sense considering that past that point you can actually see the Rio Grande and Mexican villages on the other side.
This one?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258, zaphod liked this post
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #10493
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17425

U.S. 41 to be renumbered to I-41 : http://www.aashtojournal.org/Pages/0...erstate41.aspx

FM 2258 liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:19 AM   #10494
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Is this the 2nd same number Interstate/US Highway concurrency after Interstate 74/US 74 in North Carolina?

Speaking of Interstate 74, I don't understand what's going on with Interstate 73/74? It seems like a project that will never finish, kinda like Interstate 69. They don't build Interstates fast like they used to. The U.S. doesn't seem to build any transport infrastructure fast unless it's a Texas tollway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This one?
I hate these interior inspection points. It's like you need permission to stay inside the country. They should take care of this crap at the border.

Kanadzie liked this post
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:36 PM   #10495
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
It seems like a project that will never finish, kinda like Interstate 69.
Texas seems pretty adamant about constructing I-69, but funding is tight. And Tennessee and Kentucky are also progressing I-69, as is Indiana. I don't see the Arkansas section constructed anytime soon though. It has little value for Arkansas and I'd say I-49 is more important than I-69 for them. And Texas - Memphis is almost as fast with I-30/40 as it would be with I-69.

Interstate 69 in East Texas seems to be well justified, there is already a proven amount of traffic even with US 59 not being a national corridor yet. There are sizable communities, such as Lufkin and Nacogdoches which are probably the largest cities in Texas with no freeways at all.

FM 2258, LAYiddo liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:22 AM   #10496
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Is this the 2nd same number Interstate/US Highway concurrency after Interstate 74/US 74 in North Carolina?

Speaking of Interstate 74, I don't understand what's going on with Interstate 73/74? It seems like a project that will never finish, kinda like Interstate 69. They don't build Interstates fast like they used to. The U.S. doesn't seem to build any transport infrastructure fast unless it's a Texas tollway.
States build Interstates, not the federal gov't. Hence the disparities.

North Carolina seems to be gung-ho about building out I-73/74.
Virginia is slow about 73, though a route has been more or less identified. 74 would multiplex with 77 to WV.
Speaking of WV, and for that matter Ohio, they don't seem to care much about a 73 or 74 extension.

If 73/74 doesn't end up actually happening north of VA, I think NC should just renumber them both. 74 could be either 42 or 30something, and unless they do build out 73 in SC, they can just build it as an extension of 581 from Roanoke and truncate the route at 40.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

FM 2258 liked this post
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM   #10497
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-10 / I-45, Houston, TX

The freeway that ends all freeways. This is a cross-section of the I-10/I-45 interchange northwest of Downtown Houston. It will feature 28 lanes.

It is part of a very large project to reconstruct the Downtown freeway system. It is planned to demolish the elevated section of I-45 along the south side of downtown. I-45 traffic will be redirected along I-69 and I-10 east and north of downtown.

To accommodate that new flow of traffic around downtown, the elevated eight-lane stretch of I-69 along the eastern side of downtown will be replaced by an 18-lane below-grade freeway. I-10 along the north side of downtown will be realigned and widened from 6 to 18 lanes.

In addition, I-45 (North Freeway) will be widened to 12 lanes, including 2 managed lanes each way. The below-grade segment of I-69/SH 288 south of downtown will be widened from 16 to 20 lanes.

It's a *h.u.g.e.* project.

You can find the schematics here: http://www.ih45northandmore.com/scoping_documents4.aspx

Luki_SL, fredcalif, LAYiddo liked this post
Old April 24th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #10498
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Nothing undertaken in Texas is ever not "h.u.g.e". It seems the freeway system in Houston will forever be under construction under we have flying cars.

darko06 liked this post
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #10499
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Hmm it seems the 401 may finally be overtaken by this project, certainly on the widest highway title.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #10500
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3625

I-5 approaching Seattle

I don't know why I haven't posted here before, but I guess it's better later than never. Prepare for tons of pictures from Seattle's freeway overpasses (with some bonuses).

The first batch, I-5 approaching the Seattle CBD from the south. A block-wide trench with two "tunnels" (which are actually lids holding up a park and a convention center) that elevates above street level at both ends, this section of freeway carries a daily average of 205,000 vehicles and is 14 lanes at its widest point.

There's plenty of streets that cross over I-5 in downtown, thanks to the trench design, only requiring an uphill walk to the freeway from the core of downtown.

Starting from Holgate Street in SODO and ending at Yesler Way in Pioneer Square (pictures taken from April 2014 to February 2015 with my recently-retired point-and-shoot camera):

I-5 northbound from Holgate Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound from Holgate Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Downtown Seattle from 12th Avenue Bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Seattle skyline from Jose Rizal Park by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Jackson Street Underpass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 north from Yesler Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 south from Yesler Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from Yesler Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound from Yesler Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Stay tuned for Part 2: the I-5 trench in Downtown.

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

Luki_SL, jchernin, Tvilum, ilyan, verreme and 2 others liked this post
SounderBruce está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban