daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2015, 03:19 PM   #10521
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

On the Atlanta Downtown Connector, all traffic is dumped onto the same lanes. In Houston's scenario, there will be separate lanes for I-45 and I-69 traffic, unweaving those traffic flows. They are a freeway within a freeway. In addition, the Houston proposal is wider than the Downtown Connector.

The Atlanta Downtown Connector handles traffic to and from downtown, while the Houston I-45/69 shared alignment will handle no such traffic. That's a really different setup. Downtown-bound traffic will go through separate access points at the I-45/69 and I-10/69 interchanges, in addition to the future spur on the west side of downtown.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2015, 08:17 PM   #10522
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Also note that the pierce elevated segment that will be removed has no ramps. It does not help unload traffic, only move 45 around downtown.

A mainline integrated into 10 and 69 does the same thing but now I presume you could stay on it then exit to any other road more than easily. At least that's my guess.

I dunno this plan does seem confusing but we'll see

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:43 AM   #10523
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

I-5 in North Seattle, Part 1

Part 4 of the series: I-5 from Roanoke Street in Portage Bay, which isn't technically in North Seattle (since it's south of the ship canal).

Roanoke Street / State Route 520

I may or may not have trespassed onto a "closed" sidewalk to get the northbound shots.

I-5 from Roanoke Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Stay tuned for Part 5: actual North Seattle overpasses, which have surprisingly good views of the Seattle skyline from a distance.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:20 AM   #10524
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The concrete jungle of Houston!

Proof that highway widening does not necessarily decrease congestion.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:37 AM   #10525
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

is it? one direction seems to be working well and the other one not
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:18 AM   #10526
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It's not proof. It's not even evidence "that highway widening does not necessarily decrease congestion" because the congestion could have been worse without the widening.

Xpressway, SpiderBHZ liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:56 AM   #10527
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

A bit too many small twists and turns on the US city freeways, make them straight or curve in long bends.
I know the picture is over larger distance but still.
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM   #10528
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I feel like congestion comes from crappy drivers who drive to slow, do not merge at highway speed or make driving mistakes due to lack of attention to the road.

mcarling, I-275westcoastfl liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:54 AM   #10529
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I feel like congestion comes from crappy drivers who drive to slow, do not merge at highway speed or make driving mistakes due to lack of attention to the road.
part of why more lanes doesn't help.

FM 2258, jchernin liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM   #10530
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

No. Just a proof that improving traffic flow is more than just adding lanes. It's a combination out of serveral actions. Improving driving skills, extending interchanges etc. are also required.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:52 AM   #10531
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
part of why more lanes doesn't help.
So you'd have the same amount of congestion whether it's a one lane road or a 10 lane highway?

mcarling, Kanadzie liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:53 AM   #10532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It could just well be an accident. The managed lanes are dynamically priced to keep them free-flow at all times, and they are jammed up to the horizon 20 miles away. There was likely a big wreck or something.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Xpressway liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:17 PM   #10533
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
It's not proof. It's not even evidence "that highway widening does not necessarily decrease congestion" because the congestion could have been worse without the widening.
As someone who is familiar with Houston let me chime in. Sure after the Katy Freeway was rebuilt initially it decreased congestion but latter on many developers have been building cheap residential subdivisions further out in Katy and Fulshear attracting commuters who thought they would have an easy commute to Downtown/the Galleria area. As a result over the years you have massive amounts of traffic being dumped on that road making the newly widened sections causing the newly widened sections to become much more congested as well.

Last edited by diablo234; May 2nd, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:21 PM   #10534
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic volumes jumped from 250,000 to 380,000 vehicles per day since the Katy Freeway was widened. That is probably one of the strongest numerical increases in just 4 - 5 years of any freeway widening in history. On the other hand, traffic volumes did drop and are still lower than pre-2007 levels on the Westpark Tollway, Southwest Freeway, Westheimer Road and to a lesser extent, the Northwest Freeway.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:24 PM   #10535
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
As someone who is familiar with Houston let me chime in. Sure after the Katy Freeway was rebuilt initially it decreased congestion but latter on many have developers been building cheap residential subdivisions further out in Katy and Fulshear attracting commuters who thought they would have an easy commute to Downtown/the Galleria area. As a result over the years you have massive amounts of traffic being dumped on that road making the newly widened sections causing the newly widened sections to become much more congested as well.
But there is value in cheap residential subdivisions though, the people need to live somewhere

I wish we had such a thing here in Toronto
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:30 PM   #10536
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But there is value in cheap residential subdivisions though, the people need to live somewhere

I wish we had such a thing here in Toronto
I do think affordable housing options are important but I don't think widening highways to be over 10-12 lanes in width is the answer either without adding other options. That is why I think Houston should have followed Denver's example when they expanded I-25 and installed a new light rail line immediately adjacent to the freeway to serve the Denver Tech Center which is a huge employment hub.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:39 PM   #10537
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Westpark Tollway was designed with a future light rail in mind.

The problem with this kind of transit is that it tries to lure people who are least likely to use it.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:41 PM   #10538
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

Light rail is cool and all but it only works if you live close to a station and then your job is close to another station..this works in uber-crowded Tokyo but not suburbia heaven Houston.
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:43 PM   #10539
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Or maybe it helped keep congestion reasonable in a metro area that has terrible mass transit and is growing at a very fast rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Drivers in the US are generally terrible with lane discipline but I notice that people become super lazy on wide freeways. They just kind of sit there putting along spread across many lanes which slows traffic.

FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; May 2nd, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:58 PM   #10540
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
On the Atlanta Downtown Connector, all traffic is dumped onto the same lanes. In Houston's scenario, there will be separate lanes for I-45 and I-69 traffic, unweaving those traffic flows. They are a freeway within a freeway. In addition, the Houston proposal is wider than the Downtown Connector.
Yeah, that's a big difference, both in scale and in topology, despite my previous assertion. I must confess that my previous post was written while I was still in shock. I've more or less gotten over it now.

Another aspect of my surprise is that, while freeway removals are under discussion in many cities, I've never heard about such a thing for Houston, and it hardly fits the usual sustainability format. Now I can see how the proposal came about, but, to me, at first view it seemed to have dropped out of the sky.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban