daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM   #10541
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Yeah, that's a big difference, both in scale and in topology, despite my previous assertion. I must confess that my previous post was written while I was still in shock. I've more or less gotten over it now.

Another aspect of my surprise is that, while freeway removals are under discussion in many cities, I've never heard about such a thing for Houston, and it hardly fits the usual sustainability format. Now I can see how the proposal came about, but, to me, at first view it seemed to have dropped out of the sky.
Freeway removals are usually occuring in cities where the freeway has seen a drop in usage or the area is urban and the removal would be a benefit not a negative. However is most US cities I'd say freeway removals are rare and not likely to occur. Especially since most cities rely on these highways so much.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:35 PM   #10542
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Most freeway removals that have occurred were often not much more than oversized off ramps, a left over from times when it was thought downtown areas would continue to dominate metropolitan areas in terms of employment, which they are not today, reducing the need for a huge freeway system around downtown areas.

Proposals like the removal of I-345 in Dallas are not realistic. In many cases it's not the freeway, but the surrounding area that is problematic. I-345 carries 200,000 vehicles per day, of which 150,000 vehicles are through traffic that you cannot just dump onto surface streets or already overburdened alternative routes. Downtown Dallas is not in desperate need of developable land. It has only built a few skyscrapers since the 1980s and still has a lot of surface parking lots that could be redeveloped at a much lower cost.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:20 PM   #10543
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most freeway removals that have occurred were often not much more than oversized off ramps, a left over from times when it was thought downtown areas would continue to dominate metropolitan areas in terms of employment, which they are not today, reducing the need for a huge freeway system around downtown areas.

Proposals like the removal of I-345 in Dallas are not realistic. In many cases it's not the freeway, but the surrounding area that is problematic. I-345 carries 200,000 vehicles per day, of which 150,000 vehicles are through traffic that you cannot just dump onto surface streets or already overburdened alternative routes. Downtown Dallas is not in desperate need of developable land. It has only built a few skyscrapers since the 1980s and still has a lot of surface parking lots that could be redeveloped at a much lower cost.
As a Dallas resident, this is all wrong, and I challenge that number and would every day of the week. Let's break this down.

To just talk about downtown Dallas having empty lots is a misunderstanding of the land situation in inner-city Dallas. The intown neighborhoods of Dallas represent the top market of the top apartment market in the United States for most of the last 5 or so years. Most of this has been in the form of mid-rise and shorter highrise density in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Dallas. Dallas has severe height restrictions due to Dallas Love Field airport, so you end up with a situation where the few lots that can sustain taller building are the ones land owners are holding onto for big scores. Meanwhile, developers wanting shorter developments struggle to piece together lots. I-345 represents a large swath of that very type of land. Come to Dallas and look at the amount of development butting right up to Central Expressway and Woodall Rogers.

Lets also look at the traffic patterns of I-345. Just from experience there only being 50,000 more commuters that are partially using I-345 is pure bologna. Anyone that has had to commute to downtown Dallas knows I-345 is just a way to hold more backup traffic for I-30 and Woodall Rogers. You simply never see a congestion backup on I-345 in the thru lanes(poorly, poorly designed northbound). What you do see is I-30 get backed up because of the odd placement of ramps along I-345. Woodall Rogers is a gurantee morning backup and that includes the ramp from I-345. This ramp backs up traffic all the way back to I-30 and I-45 to the south because of the badly designed crossovers. The opposite happens in the evening. Without fail, I-30 causes any traffic on I-345. This has caused many to experience taking surface streets into downtown Dallas being much quicker than I-30.

I would contend that I-30 is the true problem with congestion in downtown Dallas and skews the numbers for I-345. So what would I do to unravel this mess? First of all, I-30 needs to be streamlined with perhaps a frontage road with proper right side exits to downtown. This will stop the exiting to I-345 and having to cross over I-45 traffic to get to the left lane downtown exits(yes, one must exit I-345 north, then fight over two lanes to get downtown from a left side exit causing huge backups on I-345. There is no reason for these exits to exist if I-30 had a proper set of exits. After I-45 crosses I-30 and becomes I-345 without the cross, you'd have more smoothly flowing traffic. Let this flow into a six or eight land boulevard for a few blocks. This would delay northern traffic maybe 5 minutes to pass the 5 or six streets downtown. I would proposed a purpose built median with long turn lanes for those entering downtown and east Dallas. This would also slow the I-345 traffic(that I contend is much less than the diverted I-30 traffic) as it enters Central expressway to the north. But this is what I-345 is. Its an exit ramp to other destinations. Its an excuse for the poor execution of the roads and freeways around it.

irving1903 liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM   #10544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Just from experience there only being 50,000 more commuters that are partially using I-345 is pure bologna.
You can look up the AADT data: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps/stat...anningMap.html

You can see that the middle section of I-345 (i.e. the section between the downtown on and off-ramps) carries 156,000 vehicles per day. The north section carries 199,000 vehicles per day, which includes traffic to and from the north side of downtown Dallas. There is no data for the southern section (between I-30 and the Downtown offramps).

The freeways around downtown Dallas were designed in the 1950s / 1960s when most traffic on those freeways were heading in and out of downtown. However, traffic flows have changed, which is why they are rebuilding the I-30 / I-35E interchange (Horseshoe Project), as 80% of traffic on those freeways does not has an origin or destination in downtown.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:07 PM   #10545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-4 Ultimate

As part of the recently started 'I-4 Ultimate' project in Orlando, the I-4 / SR-408 interchange will be replaced by a 5 level stack interchange. It currently has two trumpet interchanges plus some connectors which were built later.

Old May 4th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #10546
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Of course, how long that "Ultimate" status will last is unknown.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #10547
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
You can look up the AADT data: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps/stat...anningMap.html

You can see that the middle section of I-345 (i.e. the section between the downtown on and off-ramps) carries 156,000 vehicles per day. The north section carries 199,000 vehicles per day, which includes traffic to and from the north side of downtown Dallas. There is no data for the southern section (between I-30 and the Downtown offramps).

The freeways around downtown Dallas were designed in the 1950s / 1960s when most traffic on those freeways were heading in and out of downtown. However, traffic flows have changed, which is why they are rebuilding the I-30 / I-35E interchange (Horseshoe Project), as 80% of traffic on those freeways does not has an origin or destination in downtown.
no data from the southern section because they know the answer. Most of this traffic is coming from an inadequately built I-30. The northern section could be built without the freeway with a proper street grid.

FM 2258, irving1903 liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #10548
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Funny seeing all these super wide freeways but over the years my favorite Interstate stretches are the rural four lane Interstates with a wide grassy median with little traffic and I can drive at 85 mph comfortably. Interstate 37 comes to mind as my favorite Interstate close to me that fits this description. Never a traffic jam, not constantly under construction, I guess everything Interstate 35 isn't.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #10549
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Entrance to the Queens - Midtown Tunnel in Long Island City

Queens Midtown Tunnel Entrance in Long Island City
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

lafreak84, geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #10550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A stretch of I-55 north of Jackson, Mississippi has been widened to eight lanes.

Old May 7th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #10551
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Quote:
The Westpark Tollway was designed with a future light rail in mind.

The problem with this kind of transit is that it tries to lure people who are least likely to use it.
Quote:
Light rail is cool and all but it only works if you live close to a station and then your job is close to another station..this works in uber-crowded Tokyo but not suburbia heaven Houston.

Right.

Building light rail along the Westpark Tollway would be a failure, and supposedly would never have enough ridership to justify federal funding. I don't want to clutter a thread about Interstate Highways with this, but there's a whole conspiracy theory that Westpark rail is/was a ploy to kill the University Line corridor by Congressman John Culberson and the snooty people in Afton Oaks.

Rail on Richmond or nothing. If you are going to do something, do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

Quote:
Funny seeing all these super wide freeways but over the years my favorite Interstate stretches are the rural four lane Interstates with a wide grassy median with little traffic and I can drive at 85 mph comfortably. Interstate 37 comes to mind as my favorite Interstate close to me that fits this description. Never a traffic jam, not constantly under construction, I guess everything Interstate 35 isn't.
What I-37 always brings to mind for me are the signs at the rest stop that say "Danger, watch for snakes".

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

ADCS liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; May 8th, 2015 at 08:54 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #10552
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3626

Interstate 5 in North Seattle

Part 5 of the series, all taken on a single day last July.

NE 45th Street

I-5 from 45th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 from 45th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

NE 70th Street

I-5 southbound from NE 70th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from NE 70th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

5th Avenue NE

I-5 southbound from 5th Avenue NE by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from 5th Avenue NE by SounderBruce, on Flickr

NE 80th Street

I-5 southbound from NE 80th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound from NE 80th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from NE 80th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

NE 92nd Street

I-5 southbound from NE 92nd Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Seattle skyline from NE 92nd Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 express lanes northbound from NE 92nd Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

NE 145th Street

I-5 southbound from 145th Street NE by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from 145th Street NE by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

Luki_SL, Tom 958, ilyan, lafreak84, Nexis and 3 others liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #10553
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Thanks, SounderBruce, for that outstanding photo feature!

Related to this post by ChrisZwolle in the non-Interstate thread, Missouri plans another hybrid DDI-roundabout interchange at I-49 and 155th Street:

EDIT: The other one, at US 50 and MO 291, for comparison. As you can see, they're very different:

Last edited by Tom 958; May 11th, 2015 at 04:53 AM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #10554
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Measured mile
I-95, Rhode Island

Luki_SL, ryaboisse, devo liked this post
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #10555
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

What on Earth is the typeface on that first measured mile sign?
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #10556
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

What on Earth is the use of that measured mile ?
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #10557
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Speedometer calibration. Drive 60 mph (set the cruise control if possible) and check the time to travel a measured mile. Should be 60 seconds.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #10558
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post

Since 1986, the “Measured Mile” has been a popular analytical method used by claimant contractors in an effort to quantify construction direct or craft labor productivity losses on construction projects.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #10559
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Speedometer calibration. Drive 60 mph (set the cruise control if possible) and check the time to travel a measured mile. Should be 60 seconds.
So oldfashioned. Put your smartphone to work with a dedicated app using GPS, and you know what your real speed is, and how much it differs from your speedometer.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #10560
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

more or less. but it is screwy if a cheap phone taking instructions FROM SPACE can be more accurate than tires on the ground spinning 1 meter away... it is mostly by design error (optimistic speedometers)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
It sure sounds stupid though. Like for all the other mile-markers, are they referenced to anything or is just the worker driving a few minutes on the road and saying, ah here sounds like more or less the good place for it ?

Also if you have "tachymeter" dial on your watch you don't need to even drive a special speed, just read your watch

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban