daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:44 PM   #10581
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Now that the AASHTO May meeting document is out, I think that I-169 they approved in Southern Texas should have been I-169E . And Tennessee tried to get I-840, but somehow thier paperwork messed up.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:40 PM   #10582
vvduw

Likes (Received): 0

very good
i like it
vvduw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #10583
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #10584
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

New Jersey Turnpike in Woodbridge,NJ

New Jersey Turnpike in Woodbridge,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

jchernin, PinPeat, geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #10585
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

New I-95/I-276 interchange connection construction in eastern Pennsylvania, pic by me;

Tom 958 liked this post
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #10586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-65, Louisville, KY

The new Ohio River Bridge in Louisville, Kentucky.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

jchernin, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #10587
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2610

cool
Old June 11th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #10588
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I-94 thru Detroit is going to be rebuilt and expanded to four lanes in each direction.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #10589
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2610

nice news
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #10590
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I-94 thru Detroit is going to be rebuilt and expanded to four lanes in each direction.
We always hear Detroit and MI have no money, but then... multibillion dollar road project
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #10591
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
We always hear Detroit and MI have no money, but then... multibillion dollar road project
Interstate highways are not paid for by cities, dumb arse...

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #10592
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The state of Michigan has plenty of money, it is just Detroit that is having fiscal problems (they just recently exited bankruptcy btw). Anyways since this is an interstate highway, so the state is paying for the expansion.

Last edited by diablo234; June 12th, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #10593
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This section of I-94 is quite old, built in the 1950s, so in need of major repairs.

As I understand they don't need much extra right-of-way, because the freeway runs below grade and the grassy slopes can be replaced by retaining walls.

I presume it will look much like the recently renovated I-96 (Jeffries Freeway) through Livonia.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #10594
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

A few weeks ago, I drove from ATL to Greensboro and back and took a few photos. This is arguably a continuation of a photo feature I started at skyscrapercity.com in 2008. If there's a gold medal for procrastination, it's mine.

I also posted these at AAroads, and there I found out, to my surprise, that the route where I took these photos, shown here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmikey
A super-2ish road was built about 1954 from the state line at Grover southwest mostly along the original I-85 route to Lyman. US 29 was put on this route, then I-85 was constructed on top of most of it. The original route through Gaffney and Spartanburg became US 29 ALT. In 1962, US 29 was restored to its original routing and the one part of the new 1954 road that didn't become I-85 became SC 129.
Wow!

OK, on to the photos: I'm starting at the southern end of Business 85 outside of Spartanburg. I've always lived around Atlanta, and my Mom's family lives in Hampton and Newport News, so I've been travelling this way for virtually all of my 56 years. Of course, I-85 was relocated to a fine new bypass route in 1993 (IIRC), but I always take the old route northbound. Other than the Clearview signage and the cable rail median barriers, it's a lot like what it was like as far back as I can remember. And there's no traffic! The speed limit's only 60, though.

This is a bit north of the I-26 interchange and shows the standard cross section. On the right is a large cement plant with an elevated rail spur that I always thought was pretty cool.

The highway narrows as it overpasses streets and railroads, and the obsolete concrete open-rail bridge guardrails are augmented by thrie beams. If there was ever a shoulder (I don't think there was), it was pressed into use as an auxiliary lane. Imagine this on a rainy day in the early '90's carrying 70k vehicles per day.

Here's a surprise: A roundabout interchange, right here in '50's South Cackalacky. Actually it's more of a traffic circle, but hey... As an ignorant American I always thought it was backward, but it was pretty much state of the art in terms of timing if not of design. It doesn't appear to have been modified-- hopefully that means it works OK.

And I recently found out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmikey
Hearon Circle in Spartanburg predates I-85. Originally the super-2ish US 29 connected to the circle as an at grade before the interstate bridge was constructed in 1958.

Getting back on the freeway, the weaving section between here and the offramp to I-585/US 176 is really short, and the interchange is missing one movement despite extensive, recent reconstruction of the freeway portion of US 176.

Just past I-585... I like Clearview, but some words are hard to read in any font.

Leaving jolly olde England, we find ourselves in exotic Arkansas. Here's an Arkansas-type interchange in which the overpass spans both the freeway and the frontage roads on both sides. I recall there being quite a few of these, but my oldest official SC map (with layouts of every Interstate interchange!) doesn't bear that out, and SC has reconfigured (I guess) nearly half of the service interchanges on I-85 anyway. So, this may be the sole survivor.

North of Spartanburg, there's this wonderfully hideous railroad bridge (the photo was taken going southbound, BTW). This, too, I remember from way early in my life, partly because the rail line serves a chemical plant that was lit spectacularly at night and which therefore became a bit of a landmark.

Last for now: Ever take a photo of something that was supposed to be typical and it turned out not to be? For whatever reason, I decided I needed a photo of typical I-85 north of Spartanburg right as I approached the last interchange in SC. But the legacy bridge guardrails have been fully demolished and replaced with Jersey barriers, something that hasn't been done on any of the other bridges over 85 nor even on quite a few of the ones carrying 85! So, this bridge looks decades newer than it actually is.

Coming back southbound, I noticed too late to photograph that a large section of the legacy bridge guardrail on the next interchange south from here had been rebuilt to its original configuration, I presume after having been damaged. The repair work looked really sloppy, and that suggests that it cost way too much, too. I suspect that after that episode, the decision was made never to attempt to rebuild '50's-era concrete guardrail again.

Last edited by Tom 958; June 15th, 2015 at 12:05 AM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #10595
Tom 958

Next, we're right across the border in NC. From north of Spartanburg to the US74 junction, I-85 is about the same age (quite elderly) on both sides of the border, with four lanes and a similar amount of traffic. However, SC's segment appears to be well into the period of neglect that precedes a major rebuilding project, in this case the planned six laning of I-85. NC's section presents a much more finished appearance. Here's the typical condition in that area:

Here, looking southbound just north of interchange 4, is something of an anomaly: the southbound roadway is much hillier than the northbound. That's because I-85 here incorporated the newish but preexisting US 29 Kings Mountain bypass as its southbound roadway.

Skipping north to the other side of Charlotte, I felt obligated to take a shot or two of the almost-completed 85-485 interchange. It's big, but, gawd, it's so boring!

Beyond there, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the construction zone from hell just north of 485 is no more. Eight laning of I-85 has been completed past NC 73 and barrels have been placed for the next lift through the Concord-Kannapolis cloverleaf. Disturbingly at odds with my memory, there is no more work underway on I-85 between there and Greensboro, which is where I was bound (for my daughter's wedding-- yay!).

This is at Old Union Church Road, exit 79, a couple of miles south of the Yadkin River. I took the photo because of the rumble strips bracketed by two yellow lines on the left shoulder-- I don't recall ever seeing that anywhere else. After seeing that video of the modified thrie beam guardrail in action, I'm unpleasantly amazed that they used an old-skool w beam for the barrier on such a narrow median.

Last, a rather pointless shot of the exit to former Business 85 and future I-285. Or... by this time, I'd noticed that while NC seems to be nominally following the 2009 MUTCD in regard to signing multilane exits, they'd somehow managed to avoid the (duly mandated) blatant mislabeling of option lanes that irritates the piss out of me in Georgia.

Last edited by Tom 958; June 19th, 2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #10596
Tom 958

Last, I-40 and friends westbound, returning from Greensboro to ATL while avoiding the Charlotte Motor Speedway area on Memorial Day weekend. Here are a few shots of Business 40- US 421 through Winston-Salem before they start tearing it up. Any day now, right?:

Next, the I-77 interchange, unphotogenic as hell in typical NC style. First, east of 77...

...then west, approaching the US 21 interchange.

Last, a shot of the really ancient part of I-40, somewhere between Statesville and Hickory. The bridge guardrail is what caught my eye here. Also, the median is very narrow, and the barriers are either two cable rail installations or a pitiful-looking double-sided W beam on what looks like chain link fence posts. The bridges that carry I-40 don't have shoulders, either. I suppose that upgrades are at least on NCDOT's to-do-someday list, but there are more urgent priorities.

Suburbanist liked this post
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #10597
JuaanAcosta
Juan Acosta

Likes (Received): 475

I recently saw that in the Crosby Freeway (U.S. 90, to the east of Houston) there are 2 one-mile-long gaps. What's the story behind those, they'll get constructed in the future or what?
JuaanAcosta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #10598
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic uses the frontage roads at those locations. You see that sometimes in Texas. These frontage roads do not have intersections there, so it's basically a freeway. It is to save cost, US 90 is one of the least used freeways in Houston.

SH 550 / I-169 near Brownsville is also in use like that.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258, JuaanAcosta liked this post
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #10599
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Autoroute 440 in Laval, Canada had a section built like that. Only frontage roads, and a flat intersection at what is now an interchange. The area was just farms when opened.
Old June 17th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #10600
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

In the SW part of KC metro (Kansas suburbs) The Johnson County Gateway project is underway. This has been such an bottleneck for traffic on the I-435/K-10/I-35 that all meet here. It looks like with collectors and through traffic lanes it will be 22 lanes wide. I think the widest stretch of freeway in KC metro.

Nabbed the pic off the youtube video posted by KansasDOT

https://youtu.be/ickHZ4wZpXI

http://jocogateway.com/

fredcalif liked this post
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban