daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM   #10701
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The big draw of Texas of course is the high economic growth and relatively low taxes. And its cities are rapidly turning into some of the most diverse in the United States.

Suburban growth seems to be managed quite well in Texas. They are usually medium density suburbs, much denser than for example suburban Boston or Philadelphia. If you go north in Dallas, there's pretty much the same density for over 25 miles. Houston tends to be a bit more messy, though many new developments also have a reasonable density for a suburban area.

One thing North Texas has done right is the urban arterial road network. It has a consistent grid of high-capacity urban arterials, unlike for example suburban Atlanta or Boston. Phoenix also developed a similar network, like much of southern California.
Exactly perfect description.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:17 AM   #10702
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

I don't think Vancouverites would want to add any more freeways in their metro area. They dodged a huge bullet by rejecting freeways crossing their downtown and other neighborhoods that were/are/would later be thriving.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:48 AM   #10703
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
I don't think Vancouverites would want to add any more freeways in their metro area. They dodged a huge bullet by rejecting freeways crossing their downtown and other neighborhoods that were/are/would later be thriving.
Ideally a city should have a balance of highways, transit, walkablity, etc. Vancouver really could use some better highway connections. Instead it seems like it just has constant traffic everywhere. Its Saturday and its congested lol...

Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:04 AM   #10704
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

At most I think Vancouver could use a connection between Highway 99 and Highway 1 (preferably closer to the U.S. border, along Highway 15?).

Most of the slowdowns today seem to be either near intersections with long signal cycles or construction zones (it is a weekend after all...).

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

jchernin liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:43 AM   #10705
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Well regardless of what you do there will always be traffic in urban areas. Texas cities are the prime example of sprawl development being done "right" if there is such a thing. They widen highways with massive free-flowing interchanges along with service roads for businesses along the major highways and adequate roads feeding neighborhoods. In other sprawled cities they either have a poor road network (Atlanta) or a poor highway network (many cities) but still sprawl out. For as fast as Texas is growing it has managed traffic pretty well.
Sure, but how long can they sustain this? Houston for example is building a third ring road that will be 170 miles long.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:53 AM   #10706
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
At most I think Vancouver could use a connection between Highway 99 and Highway 1 (preferably closer to the U.S. border, along Highway 15?).

Most of the slowdowns today seem to be either near intersections with long signal cycles or construction zones (it is a weekend after all...).
I'm sure that connection alone would make a massive difference. I can relate to Vancouver because my area here in Florida is the same way. We have only 2 limited access highways to serve a county of 1 million people. Granted we aren't as dense as Vancouver and our transit is a joke. However sitting at long light cycles and stopping at many intersections because of poorly timed lights is not a fun experience. It makes it difficult to get around quickly too.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 03:54 AM   #10707
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Sure, but how long can they sustain this? Houston for example is building a third ring road that will be 170 miles long.
They've gotten this far lol. Who knows Americans in general don't think about long term sustainability, especially Texans who mostly live in McMansions and drive a V8 pickup truck everywhere.

Nexis, jchernin liked this post

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; August 2nd, 2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 10:30 AM   #10708
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Places like Houston and Los Angeles are so large they've become very dispersed, with only a fraction of metropolitan employment in the city center. This is not to say that the city center declines, it just doesn't capture the same market share any more.

For example with traffic volumes, you'll see that traffic growth follows the outward growth of the city.

In Houston, traffic volumes on I-10 near Beltway 8 grew from 265,000 to 383,000 vehicles per day in just 7 years (due to the completed expansion project). At the same time, closer towards downtown, traffic grew much less, only from 238,000 to 244,000 vehicles per day on I-10 near I-45.

On I-45, the average traffic volume within 6 miles of downtown declined significantly, remained flat up to 15 miles from downtown and grew strongly beyond that distance.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:26 PM   #10709
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

A few more photos of an old abandoned stretch of the Lincoln Highway near the ghost town of Clarksville, California.

Old stretch of Lincoln Highway near Clarksville, California by OakRidge, on Flickr
Old stretch of Lincoln Highway near Clarksville, California by OakRidge, on Flickr
Clarksville, California by OakRidge, on Flickr
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:02 PM   #10710
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oregon speed limits

Speed limits are likely to go up next year in Oregon. 70 mph is planned on I-84 and US 95.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

AlexisMD liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:20 AM   #10711
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Why are Oregon and California so stingy with speed limits. They could both do well with 80mph rural speed limits. Also I think truck speed limits are just annoying for truckers.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:34 AM   #10712
SRQgator

Likes (Received): 714

Construction begins today on what will become the country's largest diverging diamond interchange. I-75 and University Parkway in Sarasota/Manatee.
SRQgator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:56 AM   #10713
I-275westcoastfl

I know bike lanes currently exist there but its kind of a joke to put them there when the speed limit there is 50mph (80km/h). They should have seperate bike paths and no pedestrian or bike crossings at the I-75/University Parkway interchange. University is not pedestrian friendly at all and when traffic allows people will be doing a good 5-10mph over the speed limit there. Otherwise this interchange is a great idea.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:45 AM   #10714
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Why are Oregon and California so stingy with speed limits. They could both do well with 80mph rural speed limits. Also I think truck speed limits are just annoying for truckers.
Much of the country can do well with 80 mph rural speed limits (if any) ... for cars.

Most truck companies gear their trucks such that their top cruising speed is between 65 and 75 mph for a variety of reasons. So a posted truck top speed of 60-70 mph, I don't think they're gonna care much about.

FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by hammersklavier; August 4th, 2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Grammar?
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:22 AM   #10715
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
A few more photos of an old abandoned stretch of the Lincoln Highway near the ghost town of Clarksville, California.

[/url]Old stretch of Lincoln Highway near Clarksville, California by OakRidge, on Flickr
You can still see traces of the single white centre line.

Any idea when this road was abandoned? Pre 1972 in any case
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #10716
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
You can still see traces of the single white centre line.

Any idea when this road was abandoned? Pre 1972 in any case
The highway was rerouted in the 1960s in the case of this particular stretch. In the photo below you can see the abandoned community of Clarksville, California on the other side of the modern highway. The old highway used to pass right through the community and when the highway was rerouted and rebuilt the community was abandoned.

Clarksville, California by OakRidge, on Flickr

In this map you can see the old route, the modern highway, and the dot representing where I was when the photo was taken.

in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)

KIWIKAAS, FM 2258, geometarkv liked this post
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #10717
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17383

FL , New plan for express toll lanes on I-4, I-275

MPO approves plan for express toll lanes on I-275, I-4
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM   #10718
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35W North Tarrant Express

The I-35W project of the North Tarrant Express megaproject in northern Fort Worth, Texas.

Luki_SL, geometarkv liked this post
Old August 8th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #10719
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Interstate 95 / New Jersey Turnpike in Elizabethport section of Elizabeth,NJ

2015_06_19_ewr-lax_005
by Doc Searls, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #10720
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Nice pic. The most interesting thing about the NJ turnpike is that it's setup isn't based on local-express lanes but by dividing cars and trucks. So all of it's lanes have access to the exits unlike in local-express setups that limit most exits to the local lanes only.

Also...driving without dealing with massive trucks in your way is pretty nice.

Nexis liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban