daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #10741
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Continuing north on I-75: As I mentioned earlier, all of the interchange bridges (except for I-675-- oops!) over I-75 from GA 36 to GA 54 have been replaced since the '90's. Here's the one at GA 54. The southward-oriented ramps are really long-- I think that the intent was to allow a second folded diamond interchange to be built at South Lee Street, on the other side of the railroad from GA 54. What do you think?

Next is US 19-41, Old Dixie Highway. The original bridge still exists here, though it was widened in 1988. Beyond is the ramp from Tara Boulevard onto I-75, which was the axis of Atlanta's first superhighway, c. 1945. The portion of 75 from which this photo was taken was opened in 1967 or so. Tara Boulevard used to enter 75 from the left, but it was moved to the right in 1995. More on that below...

I-75 from Tara Boulevard to I-285 is the most cobbled-together section of metro Atlanta's freeway system. Here you see a flyover ramp from GA 85 onto I-75 northbound, which was built in 1987. A few years after it was built, a plan was put together to widen the segment to twelve lanes, with part of the work being done in the '90's and the rest being deferred indefinitely. Obviously, this ramp would have to go...

...as would this, the Forest Parkway bridge over I-75, built in... 1959!

North of 285 on the CD road. Yes, there are two signs for Porsche Avenue, both of which look like crap. What an impressive way to welcome Atlanta's newest high profile corporate citizen.

OT, but this is what used to be a Mark Inn at I-75 and Central Avenue in Hapeville. It's been there for as long as I can remember and reached considerable depths of scuzziness, but you can see it's been renovated. The interesting thing about it is that it was built backwards on the site. The dark strip below the Best Western sign is the trackway for a glass elevator. It was supposed to overlook the downtown skyline, not the Ford plant. :

Oh, well, now it overlooks the landing paths at the world's busiest airport, plus Porsche's zippy new building. Eventually things work out OK, lol.

Doubling back toward the south because of the signage I spotted on the southbound CD. The arrows used to be all white-- the exit only tabs are new. I don't know whether I hate it or not, which...for me considering Georgia freeway signage is high praise.

The new(ish) international terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson. I like the poured in place concrete box girder ramp, which, after a brief golden age in the late '70's-mid '80's, GDOT flat out doesn't do anymore.

Finally, I-75 at Cleveland Avenue, approaching the offramp for GA 166. This used to have an option lane, but was restriped as a double lane drop to give I-85 two lanes instead of one where it merges into I-75.

Last edited by Tom 958; August 15th, 2015 at 10:14 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2015, 03:39 AM   #10742
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Southern California I-8 West
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #10743
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Some recent photos of the new Goethals Bridge from the SI Live

Quote:

Visit the New Jersey Section

Luki_SL, jchernin, JMBasquiat, geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #10744
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Charred U.S. 26 sign by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #10745
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-635, LBJ Express, Dallas, TX

New LBJ Freeway will open to drivers Sept. 10

The massive 17-mile redo of the east-west corridor — complete with new managed toll lanes running in a canyon beneath free main lanes — will open to traffic Sept. 10, developers announced today.

LBJ introduced Texas to managed lanes with toll rates that fluctuate based on congestion. They’ve since been added to the DFW Connector, where State Highways 114 and 121 converge. They’re also planned for I-35E through Denton County, Loop 12, State Highway 183 and another portion of SH 114.
Full report: http://transportationblog.dallasnews...-sept-10.html/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, JohnFlint1985 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #10746
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-25, Albuquerque, New Mexico

An aerial view of Interstate 25 in northern Albuquerque, featuring the new interchange with Paseo del Norte.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Nexis, Luki_SL, Xpressway, geometarkv liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2015, 09:22 PM   #10747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 49, Arkansas

A 2 mile segment of Arkansas Highway 549, future Interstate 49, opened to traffic yesterday near Hiwasse. It is part of the infamous Bella Vista Bypass in Northwestern Arkansas. The current AR 549 is built as a super two highway but should eventually become I-49.

The new northern terminus is county road 34. It won't make much sense for through traffic until the entire bypass is completed, which may be some time away.

Old August 22nd, 2015, 09:26 PM   #10748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 69 Connector, Arkansas

A new segment of State Highway 530, future I-69 Connector in Arkansas will open to traffic on August 28. It is a 5.5 mile segment of super-two highway that extends south from Star City to a new east-west route to AR 11 and US 425.

AR 530 is basically a super-two extension of Interstate 530 from Pine Bluff south to the future I-69 corridor.

Old August 24th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #10749
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I-35 North into Duluth

Tom 958, Luki_SL, geometarkv liked this post
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #10750
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #10751
Nexis
Dark Wolf

San Francisco side of the Bay Bridge -- by Emmanuel Raza

Bay bridge panorama.
by Emmanuel Raza, on Flickr

jchernin, geometarkv liked this post
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #10752
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Someone here was earlier arguing with me that increasing lanes doesn't lower travel times.

Being in Toronto I travel the Don Valley Parkway (3 lanes each way) everyday. Because of the Pan Am games in Toronto they turned one lane into HOV with at least 3 occupants. For all practical purposes that lane remained empty when it was 3+.

During that last two week it went down to 2 occupants and it used to flow pretty well.

Anyway, toward the beginning there's a sign that tells the travel time to the 401 Highway.

This is how it went (@8:15 AM from downtown to suburbs):

3+ HOV : 23 minutes (surprisingly it was ALWAYS 23 minutes)
2+ HOV: 21-23 minutes (never went below or above)
No HOV: 7-9 minutes. Max of 13 minutes

Rush hour traffic (from downtown to suburbs @5:15 PM): 9-14 minutes

So yes, adding a new lane drastically cut down the travel time on this highway. So there's no "law" that says adding a lane doesn't cut down travel time.
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #10753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The majority of HOV2 vehicles are family members who would have traveled together regardless of the fact there are HOV lanes or not. That's why HOV 2 systems are often well utilized or even overloaded. It functions almost the same as a general purpose lane.

In Portland, Oregon, there are freeways with 3 lanes, including 1 HOV lane. That means 33% of highway capacity is designated for carpoolers, while according to the ACS only 9% of Portlanders and 9.5% of Multnomah County residents carpool to work.

mcarling liked this post
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #10754
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The majority of HOV2 vehicles are family members who would have traveled together regardless of the fact there are HOV lanes or not. That's why HOV 2 systems are often well utilized or even overloaded. It functions almost the same as a general purpose lane.

In Portland, Oregon, there are freeways with 3 lanes, including 1 HOV lane. That means 33% of highway capacity is designated for carpoolers, while according to the ACS only 9% of Portlanders and 9.5% of Multnomah County residents carpool to work.
This is so wasteful. This parkway was also 3 lanes with 1 HOV2. That means that the middle lane is stuck. There's merging on the right and they can't move to the left. This makes the system to ridiculously inefficient. The result can be seen in the times I mentioned earlier.

I sometimes wonder which bunch of monkeys comes up with such schemes.

mcarling liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #10755
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Lol the dvp from downtown to the 401 takes more than 14 minutes at 5pm on a weekday. 24 minutes, maybe.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #10756
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I think he means that sign that is after Bloor and before Lawrence I think
it says something like time to Eglinton and time to 401
14 minutes for that to 401 is hell, you can probably walk it in 10 min
But certainly typical for the Don Valley Parking Lot
I'm sure all those people who live this way have automatic transmission and maintain their A/C (klima) system.

back on a Saturday noon during the HIV-3 era I passed the sign... 9 mins to Eglinton, 19 mins to 401 (how far is that, 2 km?). I said WTF, I was rolling a pleasant 110 km/h. Then, boom ! Ended up taking Eglinton into Scarborough and I think Kennedy up to the 401...
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #10757
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

This is the worst that I have ever seen afternoon traffic on the DVP. This was taken before the PanAm Games on the Thursday in May. The 401 is 20km away, and there wasn't an accident:

Kanadzie, keokiracer, geometarkv liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #10758
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

^ what in the ****?! that's one of those 'come back Mike Harris, come baaackk!' moments.

did you enter DVP? were people standing on the road outside their cars?
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #10759
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I dunno what the story was. Fortunately I didn't take the DVP as I was going to the Beaches. A delay that long is some kind of sucks though.
Old August 26th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #10760
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Canadian highways are cool and all, but can we keep it on topic please?

Haljackey liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban