daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:34 AM   #10781
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

I guess the geography simply makes it impossible. I-5 south of downtown is basically on a slope until you reach the southern city limits.

I-5 in Seattle proper is just a giant mess, I don't even know where to begin. The lack of access to the I-5 express lanes from either I-90 or 520 west was simply a bad bad idea. In the afternoon, you end up seeing the cars whizz on by in the express lanes northwards while the local lanes are jammed beyond belief.

Maybe it will be better when the light rail finally is extended north.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:49 AM   #10782
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I guess the geography simply makes it impossible. I-5 south of downtown is basically on a slope until you reach the southern city limits.

I-5 in Seattle proper is just a giant mess, I don't even know where to begin. The lack of access to the I-5 express lanes from either I-90 or 520 west was simply a bad bad idea. In the afternoon, you end up seeing the cars whizz on by in the express lanes northwards while the local lanes are jammed beyond belief.

Maybe it will be better when the light rail finally is extended north.
SR 520 is a giant mess, with it's left-hand ramps (causing a huge weave to Mercer Street and to a lesser extent on the Ship Canal Bridge coming from 45th). I'm deeply disappointed that WSDOT is not taking the opportunity to correct this major design flaw (which, as rumor has it, was designed to link up with the ill-fated Bay Freeway on Mercer Street), but can understand how hard they fought for what little funding they could get to complete the project.

I posted a small wishlist of what I'd like to see in the very necessary I-5 redevelopment project on the Seattle subforum's traffic/roads thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post126791428

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

Xusein liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:10 AM   #10783
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Heh, I don't even take 520 because of the toll on the bridge. The Seattle section between I-5 and the bridge was poorly designed from the outset.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:36 PM   #10784
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

prageethSL, geometarkv, Joshua Dodd liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #10785
Rdx MG

Likes (Received): 5624

Incredible freeways

prageethSL liked this post
Rdx MG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #10786
hacci
Qué oso contigo wey

Likes (Received): 4337

So here are some pics from my last trip through I-10 from Tallahassee to Houston, I honestly expected more of Alabama which showed a very lower highway quality compared to FL, LA and TX. But anyways, your highways are cool, I like them

STARTING BETWEEN LAKE CITY AND TALLAHASSEE IN FL:

This is almost in Pensacola, the quality of the highway in Florida is very good:

Here´s already Alabama near Mobile, this bridge has some very annoying traffic jams:

El que me diga cuántas pelusas se le ven a mis fotos se gana un desayuno conmigo en una taqueria callejera del sur de la Ciudad de México:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Luki_SL, FM 2258 liked this post
hacci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #10787
hacci
Qué oso contigo wey

Now skipping a long way because it was already dark, here are the bridges over all the bayous that Louisiana has, but before a pic of the highway when it goes through Baton Rouge:

El que me diga cuántas pelusas se le ven a mis fotos se gana un desayuno conmigo en una taqueria callejera del sur de la Ciudad de México:

FM 2258 liked this post
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #10788
hacci
Qué oso contigo wey

Now finally inside Texas. I think Texas is the one with the best highays: All concrete, all big, it´s true, everything´s bigger in Texas hahaha.

And finally in Houston. Before I used to think that all the I-10 in Houston was huge, but to the east it´s very old:

Now, I don´t get it... When does they started to put signs like this one? This one is in Mobile, looks better because in case of strong winds air can flow through the gaps in the sign, but it was the first time I saw them:

Have a great day ppl

Tom 958, LAYiddo, zaphod liked this post
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #10789
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacci View Post
Now, I don´t get it... When does they started to put signs like this one? This one is in Mobile, looks better because in case of strong winds air can flow through the gaps in the sign, but it was the first time I saw them:

I think they're for glare protection. I saw another sign like this in Birmingham long ago, in the '80's. That's why only a few signs, the ones that are mounted at a glare-inducing angle, are like this.

Last edited by Tom 958; September 8th, 2015 at 01:04 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #10790
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Great pics!

I've been this route a few times. Lived near Tallahasee for a while as a kid and our family would drive back to Texas. And also the vacations we'd take to Florida. I haven't been that way in a long time.

I remember those mesh signs. They have been there a long time. I thought they were to resist hurricane force winds. That area gets slammed- it took the brunt of Katrina, there was also George in the late 90s and Alberto before that. Also some of them had the old style reflective dot matrix signs on them with the old style font too.

It's raining in Pensacola in your pictures. For some reason all my memories of that part of Florida include it raining. I believe that area gets the highest amount of precipitation of any location in the continental US which is not a high elevation mountain slope. Because of the seabreeze im pretty sure it rains there like everyday.

IMO Louisiana had the worst roads in the past- they weren't paved well and made a rhythmic bump-a-bump-a-bump. Maybe under the blacktop there are concrete panels that are coming apart at the seams? It was annoying. Louisiana in general seems like a dump IMO. Everything looks poor, in a state of disrepair, and overgrown and weathered.

The tunnel in Mobile is my favorite part of this route! You should've snapped a picture! Mobile also has a nice skyline coming over the bay. It is a very small city but looks larger than it really is.

North Florida is also interesting. There are small hills around Crestview and a rest area near a bridge where the main lanes diverge a bit. If you get off I-10 and drive south to the coast east of Panama City there are some neat beaches and coastal towns that aren't really built up. Apalachicola, St. Georges Island, Carabelle, etc. Still remember swimming in the gulf there.

Love the highway over the swamps in Louisiana. As an awful kid I'd scare my sister by claiming an actual swamp monster lived there :P. To be honest that area is creepy. There are boats and people down in those bayous if you look carefully. Once I saw a barge ...fully engulfed in flames... down there. Not sure what the story was

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; September 9th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #10791
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2663

I especially like all those bayou bridges. Makes me want to drive them one day.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #10792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-69 Fishers, Indiana

This roundabout interchange is coming to the I-69 / 106th Street interchange in Fishers, Indiana (A suburb of Indianapolis).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

brewerfan386 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #10793
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Looks very UK-like
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #10794
shasujka

Likes (Received): 8

Hi,
I need your help. I'm looking for most insane interchange in USA based on few categories to put into my youtube vid.

Since there's too many complex stack interchanges, do you agree of my findings:

most expensive
1)Springfield Interchange, virginia:
- 676mil? USD pricetag, its the most expensive interchange in USA.
- consists of two interchange set in one.

highest stack number in USA
2) Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange:
- one among 5-level stack interchange in USA.
- it also integrates direct HOV connectors, Metro Green Line tracks, and the Harbor Transitway which makes it most complex.

What's your suggestions? Is there any better interchange for each categories?
shasujka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #10795
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Looks very UK-like
UK has elevated roundabouts on top of highways?
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #10796
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

yup
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #10797
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

yup
Care to provide any proof? Because frankly I don't think it looks "UK" at all. Unless every round about in the world is a "UK" thing.
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #10798
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

here is one (actually several on this stretch) -> https://www.google.com/maps/place/A1...a938e193850340
Old September 14th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #10799
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Care to provide any proof? Because frankly I don't think it looks "UK" at all. Unless every round about in the world is a "UK" thing.
I don't think so, if I'm correct in the UK they are using the wrong side of the roads...

Last edited by vespafrederic; September 14th, 2015 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Typo
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #10800
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

It would make a good park lid if the center was filled and it was extended on both sides a bit.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban