daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:59 AM   #10821
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
It is telling motorists to be cautious since the HOV lane is closed ahead and that lane will be merging into the lane with the yellow arrow.
How stupid. What else are the people in the closed lane going to do? Stop? Vanish in thin air? What else are they gonna do than merge into the lane next to it?
Anyone with a brain knows that's gonna happen, why does the VMS have to tell people this?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:04 AM   #10822
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it is the same as the seemingly pointless overhead arrows everywhere in NL
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:07 AM   #10823
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

The green ones when using the hard shoulder is allowed? Meh, I can sort of see sense in those, as it's quite weird to be allowed to drive on the hard shoulder. I find it more annoying that when the hard shoulder running is not allowed there's a red X above the hard shoulder. Completely useless...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:31 PM   #10824
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

From Yesterday

Triboro Bridge over the East River

by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:17 AM   #10825
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
How stupid. What else are the people in the closed lane going to do? Stop? Vanish in thin air? What else are they gonna do than merge into the lane next to it?
Anyone with a brain knows that's gonna happen, why does the VMS have to tell people this?
Yes but it gives them some warning. I was able to switch lanes early on and get significantly further than those cars to my left.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:59 PM   #10826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-40, Memphis, Tennessee

Aerials of the recently completed flyovers at the I-40/240 interchange east of Memphis.

The next phase of the project has just started. Construction is not done yet in this area.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Tom 958, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:11 PM   #10827
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-269, Memphis, Tennessee

Recent aerial photos of I-269 southeast of Memphis. It's the new stretch of freeway between TN-385 at Collierville and the state line. It seems ready to open to traffic, but Google Earth imagery (April 2014) reveals the Mississippi section isn't as advanced.

Old September 25th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #10828
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

I wonder if I-22 will ever get to Memphis though? The Tennessee section seems to be in limbo.

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #10829
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I wonder if I-22 will ever get to Memphis though? The Tennessee section seems to be in limbo.
I last read that it was going to end at the future I-269 instead of crossing into Tennessee.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #10830
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Empty I-76 in Philadelphia

http://imgur.com/Wuc4Fw5
Old September 28th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #10831
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-405, Washington

The tolled express lanes along I-405 between Bellevue and Lynnwood in Greater Seattle were put into operation yesterday.

There are two express lanes each way between Bellevue and Bothell and one express lane each way north of Bothell.

Cruising through the I-405 express toll lanes by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

jchernin, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #10832
Nexis
Dark Wolf

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #10833
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Could you please tell me what is the length of the whole Interstate including Business Loops? I am redacting it for wiki, as the info is as of 2013.

ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:09 PM   #10834
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM   #10835
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

I like our US Interstate Highways, but I often wonder, will we ever see many more of them being built/converted over like what happened in the 1950s–70s? I can think of 4 highways off the top of my head that should be extended/converted to Interstate standards.

I think that when it's talked about in American politics, it's either "pork-barrel spending" or backwards-thinking, or dirty/not eco-friendly. And the road boom back then came after we finished a major war.

Considering the fact that in about 15-20 years more cars than ever will use renewable resources, I don't see how this is the case.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:21 PM   #10836
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Recent aerial photos of I-269 southeast of Memphis. It's the new stretch of freeway between TN-385 at Collierville and the state line. It seems ready to open to traffic, but Google Earth imagery (April 2014) reveals the Mississippi section isn't as advanced.

That's a nice roadbed. When is I-69 slated for completion?
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:09 AM   #10837
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I like our US Interstate Highways, but I often wonder, will we ever see many more of them being built/converted over like what happened in the 1950s–70s? I can think of 4 highways off the top of my head that should be extended/converted to Interstate standards.

I think that when it's talked about in American politics, it's either "pork-barrel spending" or backwards-thinking, or dirty/not eco-friendly. And the road boom back then came after we finished a major war.

Considering the fact that in about 15-20 years more cars than ever will use renewable resources, I don't see how this is the case.
The time of the interstate is most definitely coming to a close, now that it has been declared complete. A few corridors might be upgraded here and there, but it won't be the massive expansion seen in decades past. Now's the time to focus on maintenance and rehabilitation, which would probably be more helpful than pouring more asphalt around.
SounderBruce está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:00 PM   #10838
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
The time of the interstate is most definitely coming to a close, now that it has been declared complete. A few corridors might be upgraded here and there, but it won't be the massive expansion seen in decades past. Now's the time to focus on maintenance and rehabilitation, which would probably be more helpful than pouring more asphalt around.
The inter-city routes of the Interstate Highway System is pretty much complete (more or less). From here on out, what we'll see is widening of the current freeways and replacement bridges being built.

By the way, there has been some consideration of turning California 58 between Bakersfield and Barstow, CA into an extension of Interstate 40, especially now that the CA 58/Interstate 15 junction is now west of the I-15/I-40 junction. In theory, it could be done, but the cost won't be cheap.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #10839
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
Your avatar and username look familiar. Are you on another forum?
Old October 4th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #10840
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The tolled express lanes along I-405 between Bellevue and Lynnwood in Greater Seattle were put into operation yesterday.

There are two express lanes each way between Bellevue and Bothell and one express lane each way north of Bothell.

Cruising through the I-405 express toll lanes by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr
The express lanes have done nothing to improve traffic, they actually made traffic worse! This photo must of been one of those lucky moments when traffic wasn't backed up. Maybe they took it before the express lanes opened although the toll lanes are still pretty empty. Traffic on the I-405 and I-5 has been terrible since they opened. People are avoiding the toll lanes and many are avoiding the 405 all together. My commute has increased 15-20 minutes on average since they opened (I drive on I-5). Thats also factoring in I've found shortcuts through residential neighborhoods so the commute time would have been even longer. I'm not a fan nor are many people around here.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban